BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

5 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Image result for shall we begin gif

Hide contents

The Thin Red Line (1998)

Original Music by Hans Zimmer

195 Points

2015 Placement: NEW

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

We begin our countdown with a staple of forum composers in Hans Zimmer. Prior to filming even starting he composed a significant amount of music for Terrence Malick to review. Malick would play Zimmer's compositions during filming to try and get himself, and the rest of the cast and crew in the right frame of mind for whatever they were filming that day. The music features plenty of what we now know are Zimmer staples, with booming synth orchestra bellowing out at the audience.

The score resulted in Zimmer's fifth Oscar nomination, and the music, especially the main cues from Journey to the Line, has become a go-to tactic for movie trailers and commercials.

@MrPink

Image result for i just threw up in my mouth a little bit gif

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Hide contents

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

Original Music by Michael Kamen

200 Points

2015 Placement: NEW

Not the Robin Hood film you were expecting? This film marks Michael Kamen's first time on the Top 100 Scores, though he won't be returning later on. The main theme for the movie is probably one of the more famous film cues to come out of the 90s, having poked its way into various trailers or TV commercials of that era. Kamen's music evokes chest-pounding adventure and action in this amped-up take on the legend.

Image result for chuck norris thumbs up gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I'm gonna let this one sit over here for Panda and Tele...

Hide contents

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Original Music by Hans Zimmer

203 (4 votes)

2015 Placement: 74 (-22)

The Hans Zimmer/Nolan teamup solidified for good with this picture, as James Newton Howard, who had co-composed Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, stepped aside from his duties for this film even though he was asked back. While many of the motifs Zimmer and JNH developed over the first two films returned, Zimmer also devotes much of the music in the trilogy finale to the pulsating theme for Bane that drew inspiration from a Moroccan chant.

Image result for whatever gif

• Like 2

I hope folks are thinking with their ears and not their hearts. Good film =/= Good music and vice versa. 

For example, I think Cruel Intentions is a wonderful film, but despite a great soundtrack, I don't think it has a score to write home about.

Conversely, The Original Star Wars trilogy are horrible films, but, I have one on my list because you cannot deny the quality of that Williams score.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chasmmi said:

I hope folks are thinking with their ears and not their hearts. Good film =/= Good music and vice versa. 

For example, I think Cruel Intentions is a wonderful film, but despite a great soundtrack, I don't think it has a score to write home about.

Conversely, The Original Star Wars trilogy are horrible films, but, I have one on my list because you cannot deny the quality of that Williams score.  

:ban:

• Like 4

100-98 are excellent.

97 is baffling to me - more so that it managed to get so much support. Like, wtf?

96 is overrated, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't really like it. Not Top 100 material to me, but you could do much worse (we nearly did with Captain America and Transformers showing up in the honorable mentions :sick:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

I have a feeling my Wilderpeople vote may not be enough to get it on the list.

Probably for the best.

The songs completely outshine the score in there. Dat Sinnerman montage etc.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

I have a feeling some people voted for their favorite movies that they remembered had sound.

It's the only explanation for a few of those.

Yeah Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves is one of my all time fav movies :sparta:

• Like 4

I am going to be away from my desktop until late tomorrow morning at the earliest, so this will pick up then.

In the meantime, so factoids about the next 5 (#95-91):

• 2 of them are Non-English films
  • 2 of them are from before 1955
  • One is from the 2000s
  • One is an animated film
  • One features a medical professional as a major character
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

I am going to be away from my desktop until late tomorrow morning at the earliest, so this will pick up then.

Don't you fuck with my emotions like that!!! 

I swear if its Umbrella of flippin' Cherbourg again... 

• Like 2

I didn't include any Michel Legrand in my list but if we ever do top film songs again I'm gonna have the entire soundtrack of Young Girls of Rochefort close to the top there. 

Edited by Jake Gittes

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

• 2 of them are from before 1955
  • One is from the 2000s
  • One is an animated film
  • One features a medical professional as a major character

Right now the only guess that springs to mind is that one of these is a Joe Hisaishi score for a Ghibli movie. 

• Like 2

Somehow I missed TDKR showing up in the list. Kinda sad it dropped 22 spots, but I guess that's what happens when you have a few people actively campaigning against it :ph34r:

Anyway, I would have chosen a few tracks over The Fire Rises. No Stone Unturned or Risen from Darkness would be better choices. Hell, put the godly Wayne Manor suit in there and be done with it.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

Somehow I missed TDKR showing up in the list. Kinda sad it dropped 22 spots, but I guess that's what happens when you have a few people actively campaigning against it :ph34r:

Anyway, I would have chosen a few tracks over The Fire Rises. No Stone Unturned or Risen from Darkness would be better choices. Hell, put the godly Wayne Manor suit in there and be done with it.

To be fair, No Stone Unturned and Risen from Darkness are bonus tracks, so they're not as well known, maybe 

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Pink spitting on the image of Virgin Mary again. Implying that Nolan isn't any better at getting a good score out of a composer than Michael Bay is

I just think their original collabs are superior to their Batman ones. Begins is my favorite score of the 3 tho

• Like 2