WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

If it follows life or Lucy it would do 27M for the weekend. I'm expecting around 23-24 given the fan base. (RIP my survivor game this week)

Also holy hell at Boss Baby! More than doubling Home for previews? I know different start times would make a big difference, but I don't see how this misses mid 40's at this point! 

Ugh gh at how deadline never updates their projections. Still saying low to mid 30's for BB. Wtf?

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably something around $20M for the weekend. Likely will be more frontloaded than Life on account of being based on popular source material.

Define popular please.

15 minutes ago, harry713 said:

27/70

Those are around the same numbers I'm thinking of right now as well.

1 minute ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Scar Jo proved once again in these roles she has star power.  This could have easily been a 13-15 opener based on low interest, tracking, mild reviews and a VERY busy market.  OS should turn it into a hit.

Tracking had GITS in the mid to high 30s. It was never ever tracking low. 

• Like 4

I don't think GITS is going to be as front loaded as some folks think (some folks like me) it's presales weren't exactly super and it managed a 1.8M preview number. I think $20M is the floor now but I don't think it's going above $25M. 

Just now, RyneOh1040 said:

Scar Jo proved once again in these roles she has star power.  This could have easily been a 13-15 opener based on low interest, tracking, mild reviews and a VERY busy market.  OS should turn it into a hit.

Like most current (and most past) stars she has star power in certain genres.  Lucy already showed this.  That didn't help very well reviewed art house fare like Under Her Skin or give much of a boost to ensemble niche films like Hail Caesar!

It had around 24k in Want to See on Flixter/RT and has been rather high on the IMDB for weeks    A couple of weeks ago tracking had it opening around BB in the low to mid 30s.  Interest has been there.   Paramount's been advertising it for quite a while and it has $110m budget. 

• Like 2

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't $1.5 million in previews seem to suggest Boss Baby is making $50+ million for the weekend?

Trolls made $0.90 million in previews (also starting at 5pm) and went on to make $46.6 million for the weekend.

Home made $0.65 million in previews (starting at 7pm) and went on to make $52.1 million for the weekend.

Unless we have some reason to expect the previews for Boss Baby to be more inflated and the movie to play somehow more frontloaded?

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

Just now, Alli said:

Edge of Tomorrow also brought in $1.8 million and went on to open with $28.7 million in June of 2014.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4279&p=.htm

EOT had very good reviews and excellent WOM and Cruise's audience probably skews a bit older, and while it's also based off pre existing it wasn't nearly as well known as GitS.

4 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't $1.5 million in previews seem to suggest Boss Baby is making $50+ million for the weekend?

Trolls made $0.90 million in previews (also starting at 5pm) and went on to make $46.6 million for the weekend.

Home made $0.65 million in previews (starting at 7pm) and went on to make $52.1 million for the weekend.

Unless we have some reason to expect the previews for Boss Baby to be more inflated and the movie to play somehow more frontloaded?

Peace,

Mike

LEGO Batman did 2.2 mil preview and only had 53 mil weekend without the help of spring break that Boss Baby had for it's preview, if boss baby does similar multi it will be at 36.14 mil opening weekend

Edited by commonsense88
  • Like 2