Finnick

Tuesday Numbers : BATB: 4.57M, CROSSED 400M!!! BB: 4.37M, GITS: 1.92M

1 minute ago, drdungbeetle said:

Not really an Easter kinda movie and it has zero momentum/buzz

Well it doesn't really matter if it's an Easter kind of the movie the point is it's a holiday weekend so the drops should be mitigated all around. I'm sure it will still drop significantly I just don't think it's going to drop 60% on a third weekend which happens to be a holiday weekend.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FilmBuff said:

[mod edit]

What part of the following ...

"That said, big ups to BATB. $400m DOM and $900m WW is just sick, that's pure Massive Summer Blockbuster terrain. Amazing."

... did you and the dummies who liked your absurd post miss? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

Why do people still get excited by Tuesday jumps? We all know it's because of the "discount Tuesday" that most big chains observe these days. And we also know that today (Wednesday) will see a big drop. 

That said, big ups to BATB. $400m DOM and $900m WW is just sick, that's pure Massive Summer Blockbuster terrain. Amazing. 

Zootopia & Jungle Book did something similar globally last year 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

Why do people still get excited by Tuesday jumps? We all know it's because of the "discount Tuesday" that most big chains observe these days. And we also know that today (Wednesday) will see a big drop. 

That said, big ups to BATB. $400m DOM and $900m WW is just sick, that's pure Massive Summer Blockbuster terrain. Amazing. 

For myself I think Tuesday results give you the last, best measure of how much people WANT to see a movie. When ticket prices are discounted, the majority still want to see BATB three weeks after it's release and those jumps illustrate demand remains strong. To make this much money this quickly and still have people wanting to stream in and see it on a discounted Tuesday is a great endorsement. Just my two cents. 

9 hours ago, zackzack said:

Zootopia & Jungle Book did something similar globally last year 

Similar, but ... neither hit the $400m DOM mark, that's special territory, and BATB obviously still has gas left in the tank DOM and globally. It's another level up, at least DOM-wise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eastwood47 said:

For myself I think Tuesday results give you the last, best measure of how much people WANT to see a movie. When ticket prices are discounted, the majority still want to see BATB three weeks after it's release and those jumps illustrate demand remains strong. To make this much money this quickly and still have people wanting to stream in and see it on a discounted Tuesday is a great endorsement. Just my two cents. 

I'm not so sure. I mean, we all know that all else equal, if prices fall for something demand will rise. And vice-versa, which is why we see the Wednesday dropoff the day after.

About BATB: I don't think there's any question that there is still demand for it, DOM and globally. It just did $45m DOM this past weekend, so it probably has another $50m - $75m DOM left in the tank. And yes, to do $45m DOM over a weekend after you already had $350m DOM in the bank is a testament to how big a hit BATB has been. Any other movie released this year, and I mean ANY, including Guardians, Furious 8, Justice League, or Star Wars, would do well and be happy to have BATB's numbers. 

Edited by SteveJaros

2 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

About BATB: I don't think there's any question that there is still demand for it, DOM and globally. I mean, it just did $45m DOM this past weekend, so it probably has another $50m - $75m DOM left in the tank. And yes, to do $45m DOM over a weekend after you already had $350m DOM in the bank is a testament to how big a hit BATB has been. Any other movie released this year, and I mean ANY, including Guardians, Furious 8, Justice League, or Star Wars, would do well and be happy to have BATB's numbers. 

I very much doubt that Disney would be all that happy if Episode VIII happened to be 40m behind Rogue One prior to the third weekend while posting similar weekend numbers, as that would suggest a significant cooldown of interest in Star Wars. They might pretend to be happy, and if the international markets would do well the overall picture might still be very good, but a true Star Wars episode trailing behind a spin-off would not paint a pretty picture of the future, even if the result in itself would still be huge.

It's very much true for the others though. Apart from maybe (and that's a big maybe) Guardians of the Galaxy, I don't see either of those being able to match BatB in the end. I'd say it would be rather shocking if Furious 8 added that much money over 7, after 7 couldn't boost the total by such an amount with the help of very favorable circumstances (for the movie, not for cast & crew that is).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

I very much doubt that Disney would be all that happy if Episode VIII happened to be 40m behind Rogue One prior to the third weekend while posting similar weekend numbers, as that would suggest a significant cooldown of interest in Star Wars. They might pretend to be happy, and if the international markets would do well the overall picture might still be very good, but a true Star Wars episode trailing behind a spin-off would not paint a pretty picture of the future, even if the result in itself would still be huge.

You may be right, but I would say that if so, then Disney heads have gotten so swollen with success that they are being unrealistic. The money they've made on these last two SW films is just insane and nobody can realistically expect that to just go on forever.

BATB is going to finish probably around $460m DOM and $1.1B WW. If  Disney regards those numbers for SW VIII as a failure, well, they don't know what real failure is (or else have forgotten about John Carter, Mars Needs Moms, The Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, and Alice 2, LOL). 

Edited by SteveJaros