chasmmi

TOP 100 VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS OF ALL TIME POLL - Countdown will start on Korean Tuesday, will accept lists up until first reveal because I am nice (and also one high position is tied and I want that tie broken)

I thought I'd post my list of my top 25 favorite video game characters and explain why I like them.

1. Lee Everett (The Walking Dead)

Lee is a character that puts others above himself and quickly makes tough calls for the good of the group. Lee is a leader, a father figure, and a hero. That is why he is my number one pick.

2. Pit (Kid Icarus)

Put may be a young angel, but he's surely a heavenly one. He is courageous and willing to fight evil even when he's faced with the setback of not being able to fly on his own.

3. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)

This free-spirited character has truly earned his name. He wields a shovel, and he is a knight fueled by valor and heroism. He is a modern character that truly belongs amongst the NES-era characters.

4. Link (The Legend of Zelda)

This is one of the first characters  in which players can truly imagine themselves stepping into the footsteps of the hero. Not only that, but he is a master of many weapons and a protector of the tri-force.

5. Samus Aran (Metroid)

Samus shocked gamers around the world and put common stereotypes when she took off her helmet in her first starting role. She isn't just willing to spelunk deep into desolate planets and defeat menacing alien creatures; she's willing to do it alone, and with her own strength.

6. Trico (The Last Guardian)

Never has a creature in a video game seemed so much like a real-life animal. The bond between this creature and the boy protagonist is made that much more moving by the character's unprecedented realism.

7. Chun-Li (Street Fighter)

It is very plausible that this character popularized the idea that fighting game protagonists didn't have to fight just with strength or dexterity, but with pure elegance. Here's hoping she spinning bird kicks her way to the top of the list.

8. Professor Layton (Professor Layton)

While other video game characters were using weapons and fists, Layton was one of the first to use his own brains, in order to solve a series of puzzles and problems. As expressed in the 250th issue of Nintendo Power: "Stay in school, kids, and you can be just like Professor Layton".

9. Clementine (The Walking Dead)

Clementine is a character forced to grow up way too quickly for her own good when she is suddenly thrust into the harsh, unforgiving world of the zombie apocalypse. But as for the gamers experiencing her story for themselves, her character development across the multiple seasons of Telltale's The Walking Dead is a joy to examine.

10. Sable (Animal Crossing)

Sable is a porcupine (correct me if I'm wrong) who co-owns the town's clothing shop in the Animal Crossing games. When the player interacts with her at first, Sable is cynical and wants you to leave her be. But over time, when you take the time to visit her each day, she warms up to you, and she'll eventually help you just like the other major NPC characters in Animal Crossing will. I believe this is significant because Sable is positioned as a character who develops over the course of real-life days and a symbolic metaphor of the unlikely bonds we can make with each other.

11. Dhalsim (Street Fighter)

While other characters chose to partake into Street Fighter tournaments for their own reasons, Dhalsim chooses to fight in order to provide water for his village. On top of that, Dhalsim was and still is a unique character, in the sense of design, playstyle, etc.

12. Roy (Fire Emblem)

Roy isn't just my main in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. He is also a true warrior with goodness in his heart. This is proven in the cutscenes of his Fire Emblem game, when he refused to kill a group of captured enemy soldiers, acknowledging that they have families and loves ones just as he does.

13. Fox McCloud (Star Fox)

An animal character with a cocky 90's attitude is a dime a dozen, but Fox is different than the rest. Fox is filled with determination, and he can skillfully pilot and barrel roll his way through the vastness of space, looking incredibly cool while doing so.

14. Guile (Street Fighter)

The only thing holding Guile back from being considered as a true American hero is his outlandish haircut. That aside, Guile is a great character who comes into his own with his Sonic Boom. Now, if only he wouldn't tell other fighters to go home and be a family man...

15. Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)

I like blank canvas characters like Little Mac, where the player can attach themselves to, but the character itself also has a bit of actual character to it as well. Little Mac is a symbol of overcoming wave after wave of adversity, and the character will always be synonymous with a green boxing gloves. Here's hoping a new Punch-Out is in development for the Nintendo Switch.

16. Hau (Pokemon Sun & Moon)

This may be another surprising pick, but here me out. Hau, the 'rival' of this Pokemon game, is a bundle of unparalleled optimism, even though he's always later than you are at getting to important objectives (a first for a 'rival'). It's how Hau subverts the tropes of a Pokemon rival character that makes his character so interesting and fun.

17. Aiai (Super Monkey Ball)

This is a Grade A example, and my favorite example, of how a simple character design can be perfect for a game. This design, especially the one from the second game, is one that is important to my childhood.

18. Waddle Dee (Kirby)

Sometimes it's great to see an enemy be such a blank canvas as well. Over the course of the Kirby franchise this far, Waddle Dee has been seen with a single eye, with a parasol, and even in a playable form with a blue bandana and a spear. Not even Goomba from Mario can boast Waddle Dee's amounts of innovation opportunities.

19. Makoto (Street Fighter)

It was tough for me not to fill my short list with all Street Fighter characters as a Street Fighter fan, but Makoto is a lesser known fighter that stands out from the rest in a big way. This young contender doesn't have anything up her sleeve like M. Bison has his psycho power and Ryu has his Shoryuken; all Makoto uses is plain-old karate, but she excels at her martial art amidst other fearsome fighters, inspiring many young gamers in the process.

20. Ness (Earthbound)

Even as a silent protagonist, Ness is an engaging character because he's an embodiment of the youth of an era. Plus, I wouldn't wanna mess with a kid that's got psychic powers.

21. McCree (Overwatch)

It was tough to choose which Overwatch character to include on the list, but I settled on McCree, who can plow through futuristic rivals with nothing but an outdated handgun. Watch out for high noon.

22. Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)

As a person that's never played a Xenoblade game, this is an aesthetic choice above anything else. Shulk is unique among RPG protagonists, and his English accent sets him and his world apart. I guess you could say that, regarding his inclusion, I was really feeling it.

23. E-102 Gamma (Sonic Adventure)

As with Overwatch, I settled on one Sonic character, and why not the one that did the right thing and rebelled against his ill-intentioned mechanic (Dr. Eggman)? Out of all the stories in Sonic Adventure, Gamma's is probably one of the cooler ones (but certainly not the least coolest...)

24. David Young (D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die)

Not a lot of people have played D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (available on Steam and Xbox One), but this stylish, over-the-top, Boston-accented David Young is a strong argument for giving the game a short playthrough.

25. Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)

Snake is a character who can can stealthily infiltrate heavily guarded enemy bases. That's not something most characters can do, to be honest.

Well, if you read through all of this, then thank you.

*realizes how much time was spent writing such a detailed list*

Oh dear... I have too much time on my hands... I don't have a life... I need friends... Oh, dear...

• Like 2