Eric Atreides

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

http://deadline.com/2017/04/smurfs-the-lost-village-going-in-style-boss-baby-beauty-and-the-beast-box-office-1202064314/

It was an early night for previews yesterday with both Sony and Warner Bros. trying to respectively pull in kids and the elderly for showtimes starting at 5PM: The Culver City studio with Smurfs: The Lost Village and the Burbank-based one with Zach Braff’s remake of the 1979 George Burns-Art Carney-Lee Strasberg comedy Going in StyleThis morning, WB reports that Going in Style knocked off $600K, crushing Smurfs which made $375K.

• Like 1

This will put a nail in anymore Smurfs films for SPA. I know DWA have had a rough few years but SPA has done worse with only Smurfs and HT franchise doing well. They better hope their next few films are successful or it'll be curtain for the studio

Going In Style is more aimed to an older adult audience who will go and see it on matinees and the weekend daytime hours. Should probably debut $10-$12 million for the weekend. 

Bleh for The Smurfs, should probably do $11-$13 million for the weekend,

Yikes that is bad for Smurfs even when considering the typically weak previews that animations have. 

Good for Going In Style it looks fun, we have seen the adds several times this week on cable and my wife wants to see it.  

My AMC has been pretty dead this morning save for Going in Style and certain showings of Christ that were on sale for a couple weeks. Smurfs and BATB are selling ok. The first showing of Boss Baby had a group buy out an entire row and about 10 other people, but the second showing only sold 1 seat  :jeb!: