Gifted (2017)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Doesn't contain any surprises whatsoever but it fares much better than its mawkish trailer would suggest. Chris Evans puts aside the Captain America costume briefly and fares well in a more everyman part, and a very good cast backs him up (McKenna Grace is a solid discovery, Lindsay Duncan is excellent in a difficult role as the film's antagonist who really means well, Jenny Slate is delightful as always, and Octavia Spencer makes the most of an underwritten part). Nothing extraordinary, but a nice movie all the same. B

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Doesn't contain any surprises whatsoever but it fares much better than its mawkish trailer would suggest. Chris Evans puts aside the Captain America costume briefly and fares well in a more everyman part, and a very good cast backs him up (McKenna Grace is a solid discovery, Lindsay Duncan is excellent in a difficult role as the film's antagonist who really means well, Jenny Slate is delightful as always, and Octavia Spencer makes the most of an underwritten part). Nothing extraordinary, but a nice movie all the same. B

It is charming. A good way to spend an hour and a half if nothing special. :)

Lovely & charming movie filled with wonderful performances.   Emotional but also funny.  The court room stuff was a bit clunky and I didn't buy that original deal for a second but there too many great character and relationship moments for it to really mar the film for me and I like the exploration of what it means to raise a gifted child.   Over the last two years I've seen some great child performances and this one by McKenna Grace might be the best.  Her chemistry with Evans is great, they're so natural and believable together.    That sunset scene with her climbing him like a jungle gym as he thoughtfully answers her questions was a perfect encapsulation of their relationship.  Beautiful.  B+

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Gifted never rises beyond its generic looks. All of Marc Webb's flare from his directorial debut seems to have been squeezed out of him after working on two hugely mediocre blockbusters, which is a true shame because a movie like this could've used more interesting elements of filmmaking. The closest it gets is a beautifully sillhouetted shot of Evans' Frank talking to Grace's Mary about if God exists and the implications of a higher power. This minute is by far the best part of the film, the only thing that actually feels soulful despite many other saccharine moments. Evans anchors the film well, his intense likability being one of the strongest reasons this film works despite the lackluster direction. Grace also delivers a strong child actor performance, and her relationship with Evans is truly the heart of the film. Despite these excellent performances though, Gifted never truly rises from its cliche script and dull direction, ultimately feeling like a waste of time for the many talented people involved in its production. C

On 4/18/2017 at 7:23 PM, DAJK said:

I can either drive 40 minutes to see either this or Their Finest, or drive an hour and a half to see Lost City of Z. Any suggestions?

i hope you picked lost city of z

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

@Blankments unfortunately I didn't see Z :( I will eventually though, I just wasn't feeling up to go the extra distance driving tbh

Sad to hear, but I highly recommend it when you do; has the best performance of the year so far in it (and it's by Charlie Hunnam which makes it a ton more surprising)