Kalo

BOT's Top 100 TV shows of all time Vol. 2 Not abandoned, will start countdown when I get a new Computer (hopefully soon) feel free to send lists for the time being

Hell everyone! A couple of years ago @iceroll, did a pretty awesome job doing a countdown of the top 100 TV shows of all time. it had a pretty big turn out and I really enjoyed it but that was all the way back in 2014! tons of new shows have come out since then and have been awesome! not to mention there are several new members now who I'm sure would be interest.

I know this is mostly a movie board but there are a lot of people here who love a good series. not to mention I have seen quite a few new shows since then. You can PM me the lists if you'd like but feel free to post them as well, and if you do PM me maybe tell me here, because I have limited space in my mail and might not get it. So how about it guys go crazy and list those shows! 

So @baumer @ZappBrannigan @mahnamahna @peludo @grey ghost @Seth Irskens @ShouldIBeHere @Michael Gary Scott @Cedarpoint1111 @CoolioD1

Please feel free to participate again!

Also @cannastop think you might enjoy this as well!

I know this is TV related, but I would like to ask if it could stay pinned in the Speakeasy for now, becuase so little traffic goes to the that area right now. @Tele Came Back @Water Bottle

Scoring is as follows: (please do lists within these guidelines, also please rank your list in order of which you liked them)  

List of 10:

Spoiler

1- 100
2- 85
3- 70
4- 55
5- 40
6- 30
7- 20
8- 10
9- 5
10- 1

List of 25:

Spoiler

1- 100 2. 90 3. 80 4. 70 5. 60 6-8- 50 9-12- 40 13-16- 30 17-20- 20 21- 15 22- 10 23- 5 24- 3 25- 1

List of 50:

Spoiler

1- 100 2- 95 3- 90 4- 85 5- 80 6- 75 7- 70 8- 65 9- 60 10- 50 11-15- 45 16-20- 40 21-25- 35 26-30- 30 31-35- 25 36-40- 20 41-43- 15 44-46- 10 47- 8 48- 5 49- 3 50- 1

List of 75:

Spoiler

1- 100 2- 98 3- 95 4- 93 5- 90 6- 88 7- 86 8- 84 9- 82 10- 80 11- 77 12- 74 13- 71 14- 68 15- 65 16- 62 17- 59 18- 56 19- 53 20- 50 21-25- 46 26-30- 42 31-35- 38 36-40- 34 41-45- 30 46-50- 25 51-55- 20 56-60- 15 61-65- 10 66-68- 8 69-71- 5 72- 4 73- 3 74- 2 75- 1

List of 100:

1- 100

2- 99

3- 98

100- 1

There is a tentative deadline of June 1st which should give plenty of time to catch up on some shows.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 7

(My real list is on page 3)

FYC.

1...Rick and Morty

2..Legion
3..Twillight Zone
4..Batman the Animated Series
5..Chappelle Show 
6..South Park
7..The Simpsons
8..The Boondocks
9..Breaking Bad
10..The Sopranos

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

Why that scoring though? That scoring gives too much weight to the total number of shows you put in your list. The difference in the points for rank 10 from a list of 10 and that from a list of even the very next order - 25, is too much.

I see the sense in giving more worth to a bigger list as it might show that that lists maker must have had seen a lot more shows which does, ideally, mean that his rankings hold more value by default. But the difference in value is a little too much here. And anyways that point doesn't hold up perfectly here anyway. There could be loads of other reasons why someone made a smaller list such as scarcity of time. 

In the end its your list and your choice and I'll be submitting one anyway if I find the time but I really think we should have another scoring method.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infernus said:

Why that scoring though? That scoring gives too much weight to the total number of shows you put in your list. The difference in the points for rank 10 from a list of 10 and that from a list of even the very next order - 25, is too much.

I see the sense in giving more worth to a bigger list as it might show that that lists maker must have had seen a lot more shows which does, ideally, mean that his rankings hold more value by default. But the difference in value is a little too much here. And anyways that point doesn't hold up perfectly here anyway. There could be loads of other reasons why someone made a smaller list such as scarcity of time. 

In the end its your list and your choice and I'll be submitting one anyway if I find the time but I really think we should have another scoring method.

Disagree completely. The shorter a list, the more likely it will have a disaparate and outsized impact on any final result if it is scored similarly to a more substantial list.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

How/Why?

Basically it rewards people who submit short lists by valuing each of their picks more.

For example, you have a list of 10 and a list of 100. If you use the same scoring system for both, you have a situation where the last place show on one list is worth 91, and the last place show on the other is worth 1. The last place ranking on a list should always be worth only 1, and you go from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Basically it rewards people who submit short lists by valuing each of their picks more.

For example, you have a list of 10 and a list of 100. If you use the same scoring system for both, you have a situation where the last place show on one list is worth 91, and the last place show on the other is worth 1. The last place ranking on a list should always be worth only 1, and you go from there.

Yes, thats exactly what I have a problem with and what I pointed out in my post. Why so? Why must there be so much difference in the value given to the 10th ranked show of these two lists? 

In both the cases the 10th ranked show is the 10th best show that that person has ever seen. Lets say both the list's makers had seen an equal number of shows (which I believe is what we must assume since we have no other knowledge of this), the former having made a smaller list only because he had lesser free time and lesser excitement for this or something. In such a case why must a show deemed by one to be the 10th best they have ever seen be given lesser value than a show deemed the same by someone else just because they made a bigger list? 

Basically this deems the former's list worthless. His say on the 10th best show ever is worth only 1 point compared to the latter's 91. What's even the point of it then?

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

Yes, thats exactly what I have a problem with and what I pointed out in my post. Why so? Why must there be so much difference in the value given to the 10th ranked show of these two lists? 

In both the cases the 10th ranked show is the 10th best show that that person has ever seen. Lets say both the list's makers had seen an equal number of shows (which I believe is what we must assume since we have no other knowledge of this), the former having made a smaller list only because he had lesser free time and lesser excitement for this or something. In such a case why must a show deemed by one to be the 10th best they have ever seen be given lesser value than a show deemed the same by someone else just because they made a bigger list? 

Basically this deems the former's list worthless. His say on the 10th best show ever is worth only 1 point compared to the latter's 91. What's even the point of it then?

I disagree with your base assumptions.

Being ranked 10th out of 10 is functionally the same as 100th out of 100. Last place means last place. We shouldn't reward a last place show with more points simply because it's on a shorter list.

Assuming that the former person saw more but couldn't find time to make a more substantial list is bad policy for scoring. You have to make scoring rules that take into account people have seen more shows than others, and that not necessarily every show on a list is a show that the person is entirely fond of. 10th best on a list of 10 doesn't mean the person loved it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Infernus said:

Infernus, I get where your coming from, and I had some reservations about how to score this, but I feel like based off of countdowns I've seen so far, this scoring is the most accurate, if someone can only put it a top 10 it most likely means they haven't seen nearly as many shows as someone who puts a top 100, also anyone can throw a top 10 down, putting a list of 100 is alot of work and there is usually more care that goes into those lists, and besides the #1 is still getting just as much weight no matter the list size.  I probably won't be able to put a top 100. I'll be lucky if I can make it to 75.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Infernus, I get where your coming from, and I had some reservations about how to score this, but I feel like based off of countdowns I've seen so far, this scoring is the most accurate, if someone can only put it a top 10 it most likely means they haven't seen nearly as many shows as someone who puts a top 100, also anyone can throw a top 10 down, putting a list of 100 is alot of work and there is usually more care that goes into those lists, and besides the #1 is still getting just as much weight no matter the list size.  I probably won't be able to put a top 100. I'll be lucky if I can make it to 75.

Alright then. I still can't say I agree since it doesn't necessarily have to mean that the person with a bigger list has watched more shows but I'd rather not argue further. Its ok with me if that's how you want to do it.

I know we are still over a month from the deadline, but seeing a couple lists submitted would really help boost my enthusiasm for this countdown, even just posting a placeholder post would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

I know we are still over a month from the deadline, but seeing a couple lists submitted would really help boost my enthusiasm for this countdown, even just posting a placeholder post would be appreciated. 

Don't worry, I'll be doing this. I'm not starting now though, when I have over a month to work on it plus my own countdown to score.

I guess I'll put my placeholder here. :)

• Like 1

Top ten for me:

1) The Six Million Dollar Man

2) Friends

3) Seinfeld

4) The Walking Dead

5) Cheers

6) Dallas (80's)

7) The A-Team

8) Happy Days

9) Gilligan's Island

10) I love Lucy

• Like 1

My Vote:

1. The Honeymooners

2. Seinfeld

3. Boy Meets World

4. Saved by the Bell

5. Family Matters

6. Full House

7. Diff’rent Strokes

8. Married With Children

9. Threes Company

10. The Dukes of Hazzard

11. Charles in Charge

12. The Jack Benny Program

13. Happy Days

14. All in the Family

15. Cheers

16. The Wonder Years

17. Step by Step

18. California Dreams

19. Friends

20. Doogie Howser, M.D.

21. Hang Time

22. Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper

23. Star Trek

24. Star Trek: The Next Generation

25. Law and Order: SVU

26. My Secret Identity

27. Out of this World

28. Small Wonder

29. Beverly Hills 90210

30. Game of Thrones

31. Parker Lewis Can’t Lose

32. TJ Hooker

33. 21 Jump Street

34. Family Ties

35. Growing Pains

36. The Fresh Prince of Bel-air

37. The Twilight Zone

38. Superboy (aka The Adventures of Superboy)

39. Batman

40. Bewitched

41. Melrose Place

42. The Brady Bunch

43. Gilligan’s Island

44. Night Court

45. Golden Girls

46. The Drew Carey Show

47. One Day at a Time

48. Home Improvement

49. The Facts of Life

50. Perfect Strangers

51.Taxi

52. Who’s the Boss

53. Mr. Belvedere

54. Herman’s Head

55. The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show

56. Roseanne

57. Law and Order

58. Mary Tyler Moore

59. I love Lucy

60. The Donna Reed Show

61. Get Smart

62. The Jeffersons

63. The Cosby Show

64. I Dream of Jeanie

65. Saturday Night Live

66. In Living Color

67. A Different World

68. The Odd Couple

69. Webster

70. JAG

71. Working

72. ALF

73. The A- Team

74. Knight Rider

75. Kate Allie

76. The Addams Family

77. The Munsters

78. Superboy (aka The Adventures of Superboy)

79. Modern Family

80. The Goldbergs

81. Petticoat Junction

82. Blossom

83. 227

84. The Beverly Hillbillies

85. Too Close for Comfort

86. The World According to Jim

87. The Dick Van Dyke Show

88. Leave it to Beaver

89. The Rifleman

90. Maverick