Plain Old Tele

Fate of the Furious (aka Furious 8) (2017)

F8 of the Furious (2017)  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Highly entertaining. The action is spectacular as one would expect especially the New York car chase & action on ice. It is better than 6 and 7. Charlize Theron turns in a strong scary villain performance. Paul Walker not being there changes the tone of the movie.

B+

i really dug this. probably a little more than 6 and 7 not as much as 5. so it's like directly in the middle for me. i liked statham the most. the hard boiled stuff with him on the plane was the best sequence. thought gotta say he was let off the hook a little easy. palling around at the barbeque with them at the end. literally no one mentioning that he killed han. at this rate theron is probably becoming part of the family in part 9.

• Like 8

So Dom was literally okay with starting a nuclear war for his kid? I get that guy has a code, but everyone just being all "Good ole Dom" at the end was beyond the movie's silliness and into something else entirely. Outside of that it's still pretty great, kind of the peak of the cartoonish stakes and escalation game they've been playing. And with that, it's kind of hard to make another one without grounding it a bit more or completely detaching it from any sense of reality, and incorporating space or time travel or something.

• Like 5

F8 has finally jumped the Megaladon.  It might have jumped the shark in Fast 6 but now it's just plain and simple goofy and dumb and past the point of suspension of disbelief.  This is a movie where our heroes can survive gunshots, send three men flying through doors and walls, steal nuclear codes from The Russian Secretary of Defence, race through the streets of NY and have no cops on their tail, fly into an airplane and so much more.  I just can't do it anymore.  I could accept the highway chases and the tanks and the fights and the jumping out of airplanes in cars, but I can't accept what this movie is asking me too.  You also have Charlize Theron playing a woman so smart that she can hack into any computer and make it do anything she wants.  If she can do that, then why stop at stealing nuclear codes and controlling 1000 cars?  Why not just crash planes, break into the White House or steal a billion dollars every day for a year.

The great things about the movie were Roman, Deckard and everything from Russia on.  But without Statham this movie would have been even worse than it is.  Roman adds the comedy and I echo @That One Guy when he says Roman reading Russian made me laugh hysterically.  Helen Mirren and Statham's scene together was terrific as well.

But the rest of it was just running on empty.  They just ran out of ideas.  And I don't care how much Dom saved his "family" at the end, he stole nuclear codes from the Russian military, caused a shootup in the streets of NY and was almost responsible for WWIII....not all would have been forgotten.  Lazy and stupid writing.  At this point, for F9, they could bring back Han and Gisele and just tell us that they were in hiding so they could live a normal life.  They could then use CGI to bring back Brian and then since this is Universal, they could have a Fast and Jurassic World crossover.  Have them get sent back to 65 million years ago and outrun a T-Rex using their souped up street racers.  They can do anything they want at this point because none of it matters.  None of it is believable so might as well have some fun with it and see how far they can take it.

If it wasn't for the last half hour being so bloody good, this would be a failing grade.  But Russia and Statham with the kid make it a pass.

6/10

The haka scene at the start was real awkward in a theatre that was like 75% full of Pacific Islanders.

I think I liked it, I'm not really sure. I appreciate how hard and how fast they have embraced the stupid but they may be taking it a bit too far.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 1

They definitely took it too far but I was still really entertained? It was the most fan service-y one of the movies and I was super super glad to see Owen Shaw's return.

Really really stupid movie where half the character motivations make no sense at all given series context and yeah, Vin Diesel totally gets away with causing so much incredible mayhem, it's hilarious that it's all peaches and cream at the end.

Also, the two times Vin Diesel has to act, he goes with the "SHOUT VERY ANGRY AND INTENSE" method, I legitimately started crying tears of laughter during the very serious Elena scene because angry Vin Diesel is my favorite Diesel mode. 

• Like 4

Statham for sure was the MVP though. And Helen Mirren. Guess you could say that I'm a Stathfan.

:sparta:

The heel-face turn there was a really good move even though it's super dumb since he did kill Han but whatever, logic is no longer in the same country as this franchise.

If I had to rank it, I'd probably put this a little bit below F6/F7 since I did actually have a good time with it despite the sheer stupidity. Soft B from me.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i really dug this. probably a little more than 6 and 7 not as much as 5. so it's like directly in the middle for me. i liked statham the most. the hard boiled stuff with him on the plane was the best sequence. thought gotta say he was let off the hook a little easy. palling around at the barbeque with them at the end. literally no one mentioning that he killed han. at this rate theron is probably becoming part of the family in part 9.

Damn, I totally forgot that he killed Han :(. The plane sequence was great, though, as were the Rock's threats to Jason Statham :lol:. Also, the shot of the "zombie horde" of cars coming around the corner was very creative and really stuck out to me.