Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

The fact it's not about America or China is gonna hurt. But Nolan claimed he is doing something different with this movie, more of a suspense film than war film. He will need strong WOM if he wants it to be successful. 

If it's suspense more than spectacle than I think that hurts even more at the B.O.  It also makes me wonder why he needed such a huge budget.

I am very sure this has been brought up many times into discussion. But a movie breaking a "global" opening weekend has to reflect which country opened at the same time to the other movie in comparison.

So, the movie broke SW: The Force Awaken global opening weekend record but SW: The Force Awakens didn't have China and I don't which other country(ies) in its opening weekend.

There has to be an asterisk in this record.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trifle said:

This is why I try to stay away from box office predictions.  I never remotely saw this film making that kind of money.

Woa, this may be the first time I have seen you post in a non JLaw related thread!

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

If it's suspense more than spectacle than I think that hurts even more at the B.O.  It also makes me wonder why he needed such a huge budget.

What's the budget? Haven't seen any report on that. i would guess there is plenty of spectacle based on the amount of IMAX footage. 

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

When China grows a decent Ancillary market call me.   As of 2014, every $1 earned at the US box office was on avg eventually worth $7 earned at the China B.O.    The US's isn't as strong as it was during the DVD heyday but it's still a huge stream of revenue and now there are tons of TV channels and a bunch of Streaming services fighting for content.

US ancillaries are also dying at a pretty rapid rate. Cord cutting is destroying "the long tail" of midbudget pictures, not just the DVD decline.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Can we please get multiple May releases? I want this sexiness but know the forum is too basic and will go for GOTG:

Image result for alien covenant

Nice that your precognition allows you to know what's "sexy" before you actually see it.

Just now, VGPOP said:

I am very sure this has been brought up many times into discussion. But a movie breaking a "global" opening weekend has to reflect which country opened at the same time to the other movie in comparison.

So, the movie broke SW: The Force Awaken global opening weekend record but SW: The Force Awakens didn't have China and I don't which other country(ies) in its opening weekend.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, it's an imperfect record to track, that's for sure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VGPOP said:

Just my opinion.

There's no need to have an asterisk since it's always been a ridiculous record dependent on how many countries a film opens on during the same w/e.    Hence...

'Batman v Superman' Has Biggest Superhero Opening In History

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-has-biggest-superhero-opening-in-history/#56b9ed327215

• Like 2

Smurfs:LV will end around 35. Shocking, despite the 50% drop Smurfs 2 showed from Smurfs 1.

I did not expect another 50% drop for LV considering it was not really a sequel and that Smurfs 2 had lowered the bar.

• Like 1

i wouldn't say $100m opening here is disappointing, but after seeing those number from overseas market, for each market, the opening barely drop from F7's number.....

I must say, $47m drop from last one in domestic here is bit harsh.......

17 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

JW = BLOCKBUSTER

ZOOTOPIA = BLOCKBUSTER

DEADPOOL = BLOCKBUSTER

AMERICAN SNIPER = BLOCKBUSTER

AVENGERS = BLOCKBUSTER

GET OUT = micro-budget indie film with unknown stars/director

JW = concept + WOM + nostalgia

American Sniper = concept + quality

Avengers = concept + quality

Get Out = concept + quality

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It would have to drop to almost zero to be on par with China's ancillary.

Nice job trying to dance around the fact that "ancillaries" didn't save the midbudget US movie. The box office now is biased towards both big budget movies AND things that will play in China.