Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

Just now, drdungbeetle said:

Nice job trying to dance around the fact that "ancillaries" didn't save the midbudget US movie. The box office now is biased towards both big budget movies AND things that will play in China.

This seems to be a different argument than what you were saying before.

Just now, Tele Came Back said:

This seems to be a different argument than what you were saying before.

No, I'm saying that the value is biased towards things that will play in China over things that can perform US only. Ring seems to think that China is only window dressing, despite the fact that numerous movies have been saved by Chinese BO now and studios want that sweet shady Chinese/russian mob investor money since they can't get the level of US investment they used to.

17 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

You'll do it when JLaw is in it :P

Yeah, but a] I actually study those and b] I'm voting with my heart... :P

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Woa, this may be the first time I have seen you post in a non JLaw related thread!

I post on other threads, and often post on the weekend thread.  Not a lot of others, but others...  I follow more threads than I post on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Financially making more of these is a great idea

creatively, it might start getting stale and turn some critics and audiences against the series 

obviously though the former is what Univrsal should do but maybe they should stop at 10

in the marketing for this they have been saying this is the first of a 'final trilogy' so I hope they stick with that. 9 and 10 are already dated for April 2019 and 2021.

Just now, antovolk said:

in the marketing for this they have been saying this is the first of a 'final trilogy' so I hope they stick with that. 9 and 10 are already dated for April 2019 and 2021.

They won't. Nobody does. They'll make these things until Vin Diesel is embalmed.

6 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Probably, although that's nowhere near the thing of amazement and wonder that it used to be for big budget movies.

Um, what? 1 billion anything is still a major accomplishment. $1 billion overseas is still incredibly rare, even if three films did do it in 2015. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Nice job trying to dance around the fact that "ancillaries" didn't save the midbudget US movie. The box office now is biased towards both big budget movies AND things that will play in China.

China won't be saving the typical US mid budget either so what exactly is your point?  That they don't matter for US tent poles or won't in a short while?  Not likely.   Also, marketing and it's escalating costs had bigger hand in their demise.

The fact remains that China isn't and wont be for the foreseeable future a more important market than the US market.  Not by a long shot.  It's a big factor but then so are the UK and Australia - but those are actually important as well for dramas and comedies coming out of the US. 

Deadpool and Suicide Squad didn't open in China  - they still made a lot of money -money a movie like Deadpool might not have made close to if it had changed the film to appeal to China.

• Like 1

I remember when Neo kept telling me after Furious 7 that FF8 would increase even further domestically. I kept saying that Furious 7 was the highest the FF series would go domestically. I wish he was here so I could remind him that I was right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I wonder when we get to the point where blockbusters are released exclusively in China and come to the US secondarily.

this is the phenomena that never happen before since the motion picture of blockbuster emerged on the earth

6 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

I remember when Neo kept telling me after Furious 7 that FF8 would increase even further domestically. I kept saying that Furious 7 was the highest the FF series would go domestically. I wish he was here so I could remind him that I was right.

I just wish @Neo would come back period. He loved his big predictions but also provided a ton of value to our community. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I wonder when we get to the point where blockbusters are released exclusively in China and come to the US secondarily.

I don't think there will be "China exclusive" blockbuster releases anytime soon, but the days of the US market really dictating content are pretty much ending as we speak. In about 10 years that should be done for, young people in the US don't watch movies at the rate they used to.

• Like 2