Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Spaghetti of 1000 Planets

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

1,544 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, VGPOP said:

I am very sure this has been brought up many times into discussion. But a movie breaking a "global" opening weekend has to reflect which country opened at the same time to the other movie in comparison.

So, the movie broke SW: The Force Awaken global opening weekend record but SW: The Force Awakens didn't have China and I don't which other country(ies) in its opening weekend.

There has to be an asterisk in this record.

Just my opinion.

There's no need to have an asterisk since it's always been a ridiculous record dependent on how many countries a film opens on during the same w/e.    Hence...

'Batman v Superman' Has Biggest Superhero Opening In History

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-has-biggest-superhero-opening-in-history/#56b9ed327215

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, drdungbeetle said:

Nice that your precognition allows you to know what's "sexy" before you actually see it.

How can I not have seen a poster?

3 people like this

Smurfs:LV will end around 35. Shocking, despite the 50% drop Smurfs 2 showed from Smurfs 1.

I did not expect another 50% drop for LV considering it was not really a sequel and that Smurfs 2 had lowered the bar.

i wouldn't say $100m opening here is disappointing, but after seeing those number from overseas market, for each market, the opening barely drop from F7's number.....

I must say, $47m drop from last one in domestic here is bit harsh.......

3 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

US ancillaries are also dying at a pretty rapid rate. Cord cutting is destroying "the long tail" of midbudget pictures, not just the DVD decline.

It would have to drop to almost zero to be on par with China's ancillary.

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

JW = BLOCKBUSTER

ZOOTOPIA = BLOCKBUSTER

DEADPOOL = BLOCKBUSTER

AMERICAN SNIPER = BLOCKBUSTER

AVENGERS = BLOCKBUSTER

GET OUT = micro-budget indie film with unknown stars/director

JW = concept + WOM + nostalgia

American Sniper = concept + quality

Avengers = concept + quality

Get Out = concept + quality

1 billion overseas happening?

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It would have to drop to almost zero to be on par with China's ancillary.

Nice job trying to dance around the fact that "ancillaries" didn't save the midbudget US movie. The box office now is biased towards both big budget movies AND things that will play in China.

Just now, John Marston said:

Probably, although that's nowhere near the thing of amazement and wonder that it used to be for big budget movies.

Just now, drdungbeetle said:

Nice job trying to dance around the fact that "ancillaries" didn't save the midbudget US movie. The box office now is biased towards both big budget movies AND things that will play in China.

This seems to be a different argument than what you were saying before.

Financially making more of these is a great idea

creatively, it might start getting stale and turn some critics and audiences against the series 

obviously though the former is what Univrsal should do but maybe they should stop at 10

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think so. Especially with this OS opening record.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Just now, Tele Came Back said:

This seems to be a different argument than what you were saying before.

No, I'm saying that the value is biased towards things that will play in China over things that can perform US only. Ring seems to think that China is only window dressing, despite the fact that numerous movies have been saved by Chinese BO now and studios want that sweet shady Chinese/russian mob investor money since they can't get the level of US investment they used to.

17 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

You'll do it when JLaw is in it :P

Yeah, but a] I actually study those and b] I'm voting with my heart... :P

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Woa, this may be the first time I have seen you post in a non JLaw related thread!

I post on other threads, and often post on the weekend thread.  Not a lot of others, but others...  I follow more threads than I post on.

KONG crosses 550. Is at 552.35.

It will add 7-8 dom and 10+ OS, so WW will go over 570.

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Financially making more of these is a great idea

creatively, it might start getting stale and turn some critics and audiences against the series 

obviously though the former is what Univrsal should do but maybe they should stop at 10

in the marketing for this they have been saying this is the first of a 'final trilogy' so I hope they stick with that. 9 and 10 are already dated for April 2019 and 2021.

Just now, antovolk said:

in the marketing for this they have been saying this is the first of a 'final trilogy' so I hope they stick with that. 9 and 10 are already dated for April 2019 and 2021.

They won't. Nobody does. They'll make these things until Vin Diesel is embalmed.

6 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Probably, although that's nowhere near the thing of amazement and wonder that it used to be for big budget movies.

Um, what? 1 billion anything is still a major accomplishment. $1 billion overseas is still incredibly rare, even if three films did do it in 2015. 

3 people like this

Jesus lord that international number. China loves cars.