Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

Just now, drdungbeetle said:

Not if movies do a third (or less) of their gross in the US, as often happens nowadays. Look at Resident Evil, a series that goes on and on yet now makes 90% of its grosses outside the US.

It depends on the franchise, it happens often but isnt any sort of standard yet. Your sort of perspective had people on here way over predict TFA OS. 

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

It depends on the franchise, it happens often but isnt any sort of standard yet. Your sort of perspective had people on here way over predict TFA OS. 

Wha...? China has zero history with Star Wars, you can't expect Fast and Furious style performance there.

3 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

They make less money per person overseas but especially in China. That's the counter, it's an impressive total but if pure profitability is your favorite metric then it's a bit misleading when a bulk of that total comes from China. Do I deny it's importance? No but also remember this is primarily a DOMESTIC subforum correct? 

You're right about China.  No doubt.  

Now, I'm not the one who knows all about this stuff, but its safe to say that China money is being coveted like never before.  Films are using Chinese investors and Chinese production companies more now than ever.  And China money is bigger than it ever has been.  So there must be something that is working in China.

Bottom line is, a film like this is probably going to make a profit of somewhere between 250-300 million.  I have no idea what the exact number is, but I'd bet that's where it will land.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Anyway, this is a fascinating conversation.  But I'm out for now.  Leafs game has started.  :)

If they beat the Caps, win the series I mean,....

17 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Depends on what markets SW8 opens to in the fist weekend. With China it could open to 550 WW.

225 Dom + 75 China + 250 OS-China = 550 WW

-225 OW is down 9-10% from SW7's 248 (even if the final Dom ends up falling by a bigger %, the OW % fall might not be big).

-China OW was 50 for SW7. An increase is likely.

-OS-China OW was 288 for SW7. So 250 (-14% from 288) is possible for SW8.

IMDB currently says a January release in China, but I guess nothing is confirmed yet. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Other than Star Wars/Avengers, I can't think of too many things with a "$400 mil" budget that are UScentric rather than international centric. That's what this is really about, even if people on here try to spin frantically to avoid it.

@Water Bottlehas tried to explain why the domestic total is still so important over the past couple of pages. Clearly it matters LESS for this series but it still does significantly toward its profitability especially for future installments. I've had enough for now, see ya. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Depends on what markets SW8 opens to in the fist weekend. With China it could open to 550 WW.

225 Dom + 75 China + 250 OS-China = 550 WW

-225 OW is down 9-10% from SW7's 248 (even if the final Dom ends up falling by a bigger %, the OW % fall might not be big).

-China OW was 50 for SW7. An increase is likely.

-OS-China OW was 288 for SW7. So 250 (-14% from 288) is possible for SW8.

Why on earth would ep 8 increase from ep 7?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Why on earth would ep 8 increase from ep 7?

TFA's global OW record (which was beaten by F8 by $3 million) didn't include China since it opened several weeks later. He was saying that if China opens the same week this time, the global OW might actually increase even if domestic and other OS markets drop.

55 minutes ago, baumer said:

Absolutely.  I agree.  I've preached this year after year.....the theatrical gross is just a small part of the pie.  It used to be an even smaller part when HV could make you another 200-300 million.  TV rights used to cost the network buying them, 12% of the domestic gross.  So if a movie grossed 100 million, NBC (for example) would buy those right for 12 million.  I have no idea if that has changed or not but that is a good barometer to go with.

It was still 12% for free domestic TV in 2014.

Has for being a small part of the pie, it certainly was, about 35% of the revenues in the early 2010 (less for smaller movie, more for blockbuster), but now it is getting more and more and seem to be getting close to 50% for big title.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

TFA's global OW record (which was beaten by F8 by $3 million) didn't include China since it opened several weeks later. He was saying that if China opens the same week this time, the global OW might actually increase even if domestic and other OS markets drop.

Low chance of that. China does not like Hollywood movies releasing in December thru February because they hate to see Hollywood movies take advantage of holiday openings. Most December Hollywood movies only release post the Chinese new year week, or at least 2 weeks before.

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

TV rights are serious money still? 

They are really good money, especially since there are 3-4 different levels of them - the initial Pay TV rights like HBO, FX etc. Then the second tier cable rights like TBS, TNT, the free TV rights like NBC, ABC etc and finally local affiliate rights. It is basically money in perpetuity if the demand exists. Add in Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Epix etc. and the fight for rights gets way more competitive and lucrative.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

TV rights are serious money still? 

International TV has a lot of money to it yes.

2015 for warner brothers:

Theatrical product: 

Film rentals . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 1,578 

Home video and electronic delivery . . . $1,717 

Television licensing ............... $1,579 

in 2015 WB was still making more money (1 million!) from licensing on TV is movie catalog then from theatrical tickets. And TV licensing has a cost of nearly 0. That were movies become profitable usually.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Streaming rights should probably be considered separately from TV because they they tend to be for movie bundles, not individual titles. 

Sony was putting netflix revenue has:

DOMESTIC PAY TV REVENUE

Individually for each movie I think (but suspiciously often the exact same number of 15.443 million for almost all the big movies)

• Like 1

Barnack's posts show why studios are happy to make these big tentpoles even if they lose a fair amount of money theatrically: because once they finish their initial theatrical run, they are basically perpetual cash-cows with little expense. Most of their additional profits come during the first round of ancillary revenue, but even as library titles, they bring a steady trickle of money.... forever. 

• Like 7