kayumanggi

VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS | 184.7 M overseas ● 225.9 M worldwide

Are we ever going to find out its gross overseas and how much it grossed in the markets it released? I mean for god sake...hardly any reporting going in. I am totally disappointed in how Luc handled this whole thing. After Lucy any big studio would have given him 150-200M for this movie and released it the way it deserved. Good release date + good marketing + good press tour + proper worldwide roll out to ensure a movie of this scale atleast does 400M WW if not more.

53 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Are we ever going to find out its gross overseas and how much it grossed in the markets it released? I mean for god sake...hardly any reporting going in. I am totally disappointed in how Luc handled this whole thing. After Lucy any big studio would have given him 150-200M for this movie and released it the way it deserved. Good release date + good marketing + good press tour + proper worldwide roll out to ensure a movie of this scale atleast does 400M WW if not more.

Since this didn't happen, I'm fairly sure that isn't the case. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Universal and FOX both wanted to release this. They just didn't want the rest of the Europacorp catalog so Besson didn't accept it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Since we know in this whole episode, Besson's mind wasn't at 100%, what's to say that he even bothered approaching a studio? Maybe he was too proud and wanted to make France's biggest and most expensive movie. 

Edited by marveldcfox

7 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Being a distributor is vastly different than funding the whole affair.

Who knows if they weren't opened to pay part of the budget? We don't know. I highly doubt Universal wouldn't want at least cover a part of the budget for the WW rights.

5 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Since we know in this whole episode, Besson's mind wasn't at 100%, what's to say that he even bothered approaching a studio? Maybe he was too proud and wanted to make France's biggest and most expensive movie. 

Your frustration and, dare I say, rage, at Besson has been really evident over the last couple of months. There are so many wild assumptions here it's kinda pointless to even proceed further.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Universal and FOX both wanted to release this. They just didn't want the rest of the Europacorp catalog so Besson didn't accept it.

Besson shot himself in the foot over trying to force movies like 9 Lives  & The Circle on big time distributors?   Crazy.

But then he also tied STX's hands by insisting they release it on that specific date, playing some ego driven game of chicken with Nolan, when he wasn't even releasing it in France that early.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Besson shot himself in the foot over trying to force movies like 9 Lives  & The Circle on big time distributors?   Crazy.

But then he also tied STX's hands by insisting they release it on that specific date, playing some ego driven game of chicken with Nolan, when he wasn't even releasing it in France that early.

And now STX dropped Renegades, which means their deal probably fell off after the poor results of Valerian.

Besson literally torpedoed himself because of his ego.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Being a distributor is vastly different than funding the whole affair.

It could have been studio wanting something similar to what WB had with Cloud Atlas or Blade Runner (not much skin in the game only a distributor partner and not worldwide).

And if they become producer partner, then I'm not sure Besson does not have to give away some control (when casting the leads for example)

7 hours ago, jerem4502 said:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-valerian-despicable-me-3-wolf-warriors-china-weekend-results-international-box-office-1202138825/

Europacorp and Deadline :  Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets added $19.2m for $29.3m internationally and stands at $59.9m worldwide.

Why ?

Why what?

BD and Cars 3 are releasing on same date in China as this movie. Lmao. Besson simply can't win.

2 hours ago, jerem4502 said:

No, why deadline, europacorp and comscore don't have the same box office for Valerian ?

It's like in India. The producer, the distributor and the trade all quote different numbers. No accountability and transparency.

Edited by marveldcfox

78M WW in 3 weeks....jesus christ. This might be the bomb of the century. What was Besson thinking? This is like the worst blemish on his resume..should have been a 70%  RT movie that cracked 350M worldwide and become cult hit. Now it's just a rotten movie that bombed everywhere except France and maybe germany and looks like no one cares so i doubt it gets a cult status. Oh and before everyone says it has yet to release in big markets...it won't do any better there especially china. sub 30M is guaranteed. 

Sub 150 WW.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2017 at 5:19 PM, marveldcfox said:

78M WW in 3 weeks....jesus christ. This might be the bomb of the century. What was Besson thinking? This is like the worst blemish on his resume..should have been a 70%  RT movie that cracked 350M worldwide and become cult hit. Now it's just a rotten movie that bombed everywhere except France and maybe germany and looks like no one cares so i doubt it gets a cult status. Oh and before everyone says it has yet to release in big markets...it won't do any better there especially china. sub 30M is guaranteed. 

Sub 150 WW.

$78m? Fake news. Moderation, ban here, please. Thanks a lot.

From mojo:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $36,137,260    41.2%
Foreign:  $51,664,975    58.8%

= Worldwide:  $87,802,235