chasmmi

Chasmmi's top 250 films of all time - Because I honestly had this idea at the same time and it's not a Ripoff - :)

238th - School of Rock

school of rock에 대한 이미지 검색결과

Of all the Jack Blacky Jack Black films, this may be the best. The balance between letting him loose on every scene whilst retaining a watchable story is pretty perfect and you are able to laugh at Black's antics whilst routing for the plot to resolve as you hope it does. 

It helps a lot that the music in this is really well done and the kids are actually damn talented which could have sunk the film if it had not been the case. To me this is one of those films that was a good laugh on the first viewing, but as each year goes by seems to edge closer and closer to full blown classic status. 

• Like 5

237th - Matchstick Men

Matchstick Men에 대한 이미지 검색결과

A like a good conman film and this for me is one of the best ones out there. Cage is on top form here as the con-artist with a heart of gold schtik and I merrily let the plot take me everywhere it wants to go on its twisty turny journey. 

The cast here all around is great and even if the twist is obvious in retrospect, it is pulled off really well and Cage just makes every minute he is on screen worth watching and considering he is on screen for pretty much every minute of the film that is a pretty good ratio of worth watching minutes. :) 

It has been a while since I last saw this, so thinking about this now, I really should go back to it again one day soon. 

• Like 1

236th - Monty Python's Meaning of Life

monty python meaning of life에 대한 이미지 검색결과

You know, I may even go as far as to say that this film has the funniest single scenes of any Python film. The trailer before the film, Every Sperm is Sacred, Sex Ed class and the Galaxy song are at least on par with anything in Grail or Brian. The big difference though is that the bits in between the really funny stuff here fall a hundred times flatter than they do in the other two. 

There are still enough spurts of genius in this to make it worth the while and a position on this list. It is a flawed, but at times brilliant comedy that is understandably but at the same time sadly, overshadowed by its two predecessors.  

• Like 5

Maybe will do 5 more in about an hour:

235th - No Classical Music in sight

234th - The Film a Canadian Comedy great should have got an Oscar Nom for

233rd - A sequel to a film already on the list

232nd - A priest and a Rabbi walk into a bar

231st - 5 church scenes in one film 

• Like 1

235th - Beethoven

Image result for beethoven movie

Nine year old me liked films aimed at nine year olds. Nine year old me loves dogs. Therefore nine year old me loved Beethoven. 

I've seen it a few times since the crazy days of my pre-teens when I saw it possibly weekly, and I still remember it as a very good example of kids family film. It was silly, funny and the dog was lovable in that way you hope a dog will be. 

This is a nostalgia choice and I don't regret it. 

• Like 3

234th - Man on the Moon

Image result for man on the moon movie

As a Brit I am not all that knowledgeable on Kaufmann, but Carrey drew me in with this performance and was excellent all the way through.

The story of this man was fascinating and the fact that I could watch this and not see the overacting maniac rear his head was testament to how good Jim is in this and as great as some of his other performances may have also been, I still rank this as his best performance. 

This is a film that is more than worth checking out and should be watched by more people. 

• Like 3

233rd - Clerks 2

Image result for clerks 2

I can see this being controversial, but even if the script/plot here is not as tight as the original, I think that the performances here are smoother and stronger and thus I found this set up and execution more entertaining and more satisfying than the original. 

the past couple of years have shown that returning to a beloved comedy over a decade after the original is not the greatest of ideas in general, so for this to just not be disappointing shit was an achievement in itself. To be on par/better than the original was a pretty damn fine feat. 

Cue the disagreements... 

• Like 3

232nd - Keeping the Faith

Image result for keeping the faith

There are days where I sometimes randomly consider this my favourite Ben Stiller film, then I decide that is not the case such as with making this list. This is a lovely comedy that I feel not enough people have seen or even heard of. It's not mean-spirited, it's not full of immature jokes, it's just a nice little love triangle film where everyone gets on and the conflict appears and dissipates as needed with little to no contrivance.

I wish more people had seen this.  

• Like 2

231st - Four Weddings and a Funeral

Image result for four weddings and a funeral

The original Richard Curtis comedy that sparked the theory that all British people are Hugh Grant. Four Weddings is the archetype to British romcoms that came after it. The script is damn funny and the cast is strong throughout. 

You watch this film and you can see why Grant got launched into superstardom off of this. He's just perfect as that lovable buffoon that everyone wants to love. He's total charm in this and it will always be a British comedy classic in my eyes. 

• Like 2

Next burst will depend on weekend drinking...

230th - One man and his dog

229th - I don't want to spoil this one for you

228th - ooh! It's a Threequel

227th - Someone finally murdered Barney!

226th - Gonna be far too low for a lot of people 

• Like 1

230th - Turner and Hooch

Image result for turner and hooch

Yeah I like dog movies and when you add someone like Tom Hanks to the mix, then well what's not to love? 

I do kind of miss Hanks' old fun comedy / mad concept film phase. He used to hang around with mermaids, randomly age 20 years or chat with people over the radio and this was my favourite of that bunch. The dog is excellent, the comedy is silly and fun, and when you have an actor like Hanks in the lead role then you know that emotional stuff that gets thrown in also works out well. 

We need more dog sidekicks in films (and no CGI dogs). 

• Like 2

229th - The Sixth Sense

Image result for sixth sense

Is that an actual critically acclaimed film you see above you? Why yes it is!

Sixth Sense is a great film. to me it is still M Night's clear number one film and one of Willis' best performances. The twist of course is also legendary at this point and for good reason. Watching this the first time, the twist really hits you out of nowhere and feels like an incredible addition to the film's narrative. The second time however, the twist is so glaringly obvious all the way through, you cannot believe how you didn't see it before. 

This is one of the most perfect twists in film, but that also should not overshadow the fact that outside of this, we still get one of the best and well-acted thrillers of the past 20 years. 

• Like 4

228th - Rocky 3

Image result for Rocky 3

A shall start with the obvious: This is neither the best Rocky or the worst Rocky film in my opinion. However what it still is, is a good Rocky film.

Clubber Lang was a pivotal role in the Rocky Franchise. This was the moment that the whole franchise could have shut down completely because if Lang had failed, it would have shown up the franchise as being something that only works when you do the same film over and over again with a Rocky vs Creed fight at the end. That is a lot of pressure to put on Mr. T and he handled it really well and we got a really good addition to the franchise that has a markedly different feel to volumes 1 and 2. 

That said, I am one of the people that could watch any Rocky film any time. Even the one(s?), that missed the list. 

• Like 4

227th - Gone Girl

Image result for gone girl

This was one of the best films of 2015, and the lead performances here were so good and really contributed to the fantastic plot that unravels over the course of the film. Pike is clearly the star here, but Affleck also puts in one of his best performances here too.

The films loses its way a little two thirds through the film that maybe cost it a higher place on this list, but still this is a performance driven film and the performances are stellar. The kind of film that makes me very interested in the next films that the cast or director put out next.  

• Like 4

226th - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Related image

So the second Python film shows up earlier than expected I expect. 

Like with Meaning of Life, this is a film that at times feels like a collection of sketches loosely connected by a semblance of a plot, but said plot is a lot stronger here than with Life. This film is a lot of fun and like all things Python has scenes that become iconic clips in their own right whether you see the film or not. 

So why is this so low? Right this may be controversial, but to me I have never liked the ending. It has always felt to me like the film wrote itself into a corner, or lost its budget to continue any further, it just jarred with me. Of course, this being Python, it is more likely to be the case that they just wanted to end in the bizarre wtf way they did.

A hundred people could come here and argue that the ending is actually genius and I just don''t get it, but to be it just always kind of felt like a film that just didn't quite end. 

• Like 4

225th - Road to Eldorado

Image result for road to eldorado

This has always been one of the most underrated animated films in my opinion. The voice acting is great, the animation is beautiful, and it's just one of the great last hurrahs of non-3D animation before the monoliths of Shrek and co became the golden goose of Dreamworks animation.

If you like animation and didn't know that this film existed, I would definitely recommend giving this one a shot, its a lot of fun and a good use of 90 minutes of one's time. 

• Like 3

224th - Mallrats

Image result for mallrats

So more Kevin Smith... Yeah it won't be the last time either. 

This film was kind of an evolution of the Clerks idea in my eyes, but putting it into a larger scale. It's still dialogue driven, its still a small scale compared to the majority of films, and still maintains a more raw approach to film-making. 

Of course there is also the fact that the film is damn funny which helps too. There is a lot of silliness present here and I am a fan of silliness. It's not big and often not clever, but it is still a great laugh to watch. 

• Like 2

223rd - The Green Mile

Image result for the green mile

Yeah I love this film and I still to this day don't understand how Clarke Duncan never did more great things after this (although he was a great Kingpin). 

This film is a great drama that is one of those films that is long, and dark, and depressing. It is at times hard to watch and not something that I will put on in the background for a bit of fun and light watching. However it is a film that I loved, and will recommend to anyone who will listen. It is some of the best acting you will see and just has two actors both in the prime of their careers. 

• Like 3