YM!

2018: Superhero Underperformance/Peak? Or Complete Domination?

Just now, UNDERDOG said:

I also think Aquaman has the best advantage out of all these cbms. 

It releases late December, and if January continues to be a dead month for movies in 2019, it could have amazing legs and probably most of January to make its money.

Provided of course, if it has good word of mouth. 

Aquaman will likely do around $300M domestic, but under Dead2ool, Incredibles 2, Black Panther, and Infinity War. Remember it opens head to head against Sony's Animated Spider-Man.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Aquaman will likely do around $300M domestic, but under Dead2ool, Incredibles 2, Black Panther, and Infinity War. Remember it opens head to head against Sony's Animated Spider-Man.

I think, if push comes to shove, the animated spider man film might move up, but we'll see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yeah the Sony Spider-man spin off movies won't do well. A movie about Spider-Man villains without Spider-Man? LOL 

To be honest, the only Spidey spinoffs that could do $200M, is likely the Animated one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I don't see it doing anymore than Thor or Dr. Strange especially if they move the han solo movie

• Like 1

Just now, commonsense88 said:

I don't see it doing anymore than Thor or Dr. Strange especially if they move the han solo movie

Still given the DCEU average of $300M, and Christmas release date even with Solo and Spidey, it will cross $200M at least.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

new Mutants and Dark Phoenix should have reasonable expectations. No Wolverine or Deadpool likely means sub 200m

I could see $200M for New Mutants. It could be a YA/superhero movie hybrid.

• Like 1

Will Ant-Man and the Wasp do well?

I mean, I don't think its clinched by any other big films, besides JW2 the past two weeks before.

But, is there enough of interest for it? It was a solid film, but it seems to be the only MCU film that no one is really begging for, y'know?

It seems like every other MCU film has some passion behind it and its different, but Ant-Man And The Wasp feels more of a priority. 

Edited by UNDERDOG

1 hour ago, UNDERDOG said:

Will Ant-Man and the Wasp do well?

I mean, I don't think its clinched by any other big films, besides JW2 the past two weeks before.

But, is there enough of interest for it? It was a solid film, but it seems to be the only MCU film that no one is really begging for, y'know?

It seems like every other MCU film has some passion behind it and its different, but Ant-Man And The Wasp feels more of a priority. 

I expect it to gross over 200M. The first had excellent WOM and built an audience.

• Like 2

The movies will perform just like how they're expected to. Some will perform within expectations, you may have a surprise run from one and then you'll have one or two that will underperform. 

I think Infinity War, Deadpool 2 and Ant-Man will perform right where they're expected. $400M+ for IW and $300M+ for Deadpool 2 and anywhere from $150M-200M for Ant-Man. Black Panther will have a leggy run that will surprise folks. Aquaman will be dependent on how JL will

be received. New Mutants and The X-men sequel will underpform in the states but make up for it OS. 

So it's just going to be another year with an abundance of super hero films but performances box office wise aren't changing. 

• Like 1

Every time people are ready to give up on SH movies you get critical and financial breakout hits like Deadpool, Dr. Strange and Logan.

The genre will continue to prosper. Every time I go to the mall I see vehicles and shirts with SH symbols (Punisher, Cap, Avengers, Deadpool, SHEILD, Batman, Superman) everywhere. No other genre experiences this level of public devotion. Plus superhero movies are so successful that the smallest (pun intended) heroes like Ant-Man can pull in more than Star Trek, Jason Bourne and Warcraft.

I, myself, only go to the movies for sci fi and superheroes and I imagine that others like me are growing in numbers every day.

The only thing that could kill the genre is if every studio starts to phone it in with lame efforts and that won't happen since it's common knowledge that the genre is the biggest goldmine going in Hollywood.

Marvel Studios, a sub-studio, can make 2 billion globally by simply releasing 3 movies per year. That's insane. Even major studios like Paramount and Sony can't mimick this success with their biggest tentpoles.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

50-60 years. :rofl:

I still think the western/Superhero analogy doesn't work like, at all.

You won't convince me there isn't more variety between superheroes than between freaking cowboys.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3