trifle

WGA authorizes strike with 96% vote | tentative agreement reached at 1am PDT

1 minute ago, Tele Came Back said:

There's not really a "final script" until the movie finishes post. You have a shooting script, of course, which could be considered "final" (generally speaking), but even then it will probably go through steady minor revisions all the way through shooting.

Not good for The Post which shoots in May although I imagine it's likely in good enough shape to not need rewrites.

1 minute ago, DMan7 said:

Once pre-production is done assuming no reshoots is needed then those movies are safe however movies that are currently in pre-production might have to delay shooting until the strike is over. 

There's a steady amount of minor writing and revising that happens throughout shooting (which, of course, can't happen during a strike).

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think unlike the last WGA strike, the AMPTP will try and hammer out a deal a lot sooner since Upfronts are coming up and the networks don't want to have an empty fall season.

I'm sure that's true, but $200M apart is a pretty big gap.

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Funny thing is Fast & Furious franchise was partly revived since Universal had a script ready and wanted to get product into production before the last strike

They wanted the Hobbs/Deckard spinoff done before Fast 9. Doubt that plan happens now :lol: 

Just now, DMan7 said:

Maybe the writers who forms the 4% who don't want the strike can work on these delayed movies in the interim? :P

Yea scabbing will be great for their career

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Not good for The Post which shoots in May although I imagine it's likely in good enough shape to not need rewrites.

Basically everything set to come out this year is in no danger of getting delayed (yet at least).

So where does this strike place a director who is also a writer on a movie. Does the Director also strike given the writing side of his career or being a director as well will he continue to write the script himself to keep the production going?

Edited by DMan7

2 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

I hope so. What the WGA's asking for is really pretty minor in terms of the overall picture of what the studios are collectively earning. At this point I assume they don't want to appear as pushovers. And they're notorious for trying to strike hard deals against writers.

I find it strange that the DGA deal was done a lot quicker which in turn lead to the resolution of the WGA. Directors and to an extent actors get a way better deal than writers. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Last time it was worse because it was happening during TV season itself. Worst comes to worst everything will just premiere later than usual.

True, it'll hurt the late shows and daytime shows that use writers and especially something like SNL which is topical so none of the sketches can be prewritten beforehand first then the dramas and comedies.

Just now, DMan7 said:

So where does this strike place a director who is also a writer on a movie. Does the Director also strike given the writing side of his career or being a director as well will he continue to write the script himself to keep the production going?

If the Director is a WGA member he can work as a director but cannot touch the script at all.

@grim22 posted something where JJ Abrams talked about how, even though he was the director of ST09, he couldn't fiddle with the script in production once the strike began because he was part of the union.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Look at the 2009 blockbuster schedule - finished movies that were delayed so studios would have product, and not-at-all-ready movies that were rushed into production

yep. Star Trek 2009 and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince were both pushed from fall 2008 to summer 2009 because of this