kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 19.4 M FATE OF THE FURIOUS | 12 M HOW TO BE LATIN LOVER | 10.1 M BAAHUBALI II | 9.3 M THE CIRCLE

12 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I have liked plenty of non-horror movies that have gotten D's or F's.  Solaris, The Box, Vanilla Sky....

Solaris I'm ok with, but... you liked Vanilla Sky?

I'm reminded of the Affleck-Damon banter at the Oscars right after Kimmel made fun of Damon in We Bought a Zoo:

"I liked my performance in that!"

"... Really?"

Even with the star power factored in, The Circle felt like a non-starter as soon as the perception that it wouldn't be a critical darling sank in.

That being said, I'm sure that both Tom Hanks and Emma Watson are both one well-received role away from being back in mainstream audiences' good graces.

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Even with the star power factored in, The Circle felt like a non-starter as soon as the perception that it wouldn't be a critical darling sank in.

That being said, I'm sure that both Tom Hanks and Emma Watson are both one well-received role away from being back in mainstream audiences' good graces.

Luckily for everyone, this movie's existence will be completely forgotten sooner than later.

Edited by filmlover

I totally get why people like Vanilla Sky. It's heady and explores some intriguing existential themes.

...but I just couldn't get into it, nor could I get past what a callous jerk the protagonist was - which is important given how badly Cameron Crowe's earnest-to-a-fault script wants the audience to care about him. Perhaps my perception had something to do with the fact that I watched it the day before I moved away for undergrad (because the discounted iTunes rental was going to expire over the weekend, when I knew I would be busy with meeting people, beginning the rest of my life, etc.), but I doubt I would have a significantly kinder perspective on it now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Luckily for everyone, this movie's existence will be completely forgotten sooner than later.

Indeed. With a sharp enough drop, Beauty and the Beast might catch it next weekend, solving the problem almost instantly.

Guardians is going to take a huge chunk out of Fate of the Furious. Furthermore, even though some of May's offerings may ultimately underperform, they'll take up enough screen space that they should also deal a blow to Fate. As such, I don't think that passing Fast & Furious 6 is necessarily a sure thing until we see how it's holding up a couple weeks down the line.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Deadline says industry projection for F8 is $230M but a $20M 3rd weekend with a $193M cumulative should allow F8 to speed through $240M-$250M.

The most recent numbers from Gitesh Pandya pegs F8 Friday at 5mil.  So that is more like at 18 mil weekend for 191, and GOTG2 are going to cut it's legs more. So maybe 225 to 230 mil finish 

http://deadline.com/2017/04/emma-watson-the-circle-fate-of-the-furious-weekend-box-office-how-to-be-a-latin-lover-1202079002/

Universal’s The Fate of the Furiousis easily winning this weekend with $18.4M, but for too many, it’s old hat and of course it’s not resonating in the way that Disney’s The Jungle Book did a year ago. 

Currently, Pantelion/Lionsgate’s How to Be a Latin Lover is rallying among the new titles with an estimated $11.2M at 1,118 venues in second and an A CinemaScore. That’s higher than the $7.8M opening charted by star Eugenio Derbez previous PG-13 movie Instructions Not Included which played during Labor Day weekend 2013 at 348 sites.

STX’s release of EuropaCorp’s The Circle is the weakest link at the B.O. (in regards to costs vs. ticket sales), and further evidence that stars mean nothing when they’re attached to driftwood.

Currently, the pic is looking to open below its low teen estimates with $9.2M in third over three-days and gets –gulp- a D+ CinemaScore. Now when was the last time that happened? Relativity’s The Disappointments Room landed a D back in September. Here’s some good news: Moviegoers enjoyed The Circle better than Paramount’s The Devil’s Inside which received an ‘F’ five years ago.

The most wonderful surprise this weekend is Great India Films’ Baahubali 2: The Conclusionwhich is opening to $8.8M at 405 theaters in fourth. Pic is arguably the biggest opening for a Bollywood title stateside, besting 2013’s Dhoom 3 ($8M) and the third highest debut for a foreign language title after Hero ($18M) and Jet Li’s Fearless ($10.6M). Giving fire to The Conclusion’s grosses are 40 Imax screens. During the off-tentpole points of the year, the large format exhibitor has been programming more alternative fare, i.e. Fifty Shades of Grey, American Sniper and HBO’s Game of Thrones in the past. Aamir Khan’s Dhoom 3 was previously released in Imax.

What is Baahubali 2? It’s a sequel to the massive 2015 Telugu title Baahubali: The Beginning directed by S.S. Rajamouli, a film which had a Lord of the Rings type of franchise appeal in India that has spawned comics, merchandise and a VR experience and has sent positive shockwaves over here to the U.S. Essentially, The Beginning left behind an emotionally gripping cliffhanger that rivaled The Empire Strikes Back as its lead mythical warrior character was stabbed by a trusted soldier fueling fans with a “Who Killed J.R.?” like sensation aka “Why did Kattappa kill Baahubali?”

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I like how Deadline gleefully describes the exact ending to the first Bahubali. 

Technically, it isn't the exact ending. It was more of a "Batman sees the Joker card" ending in Batman Begins. That specific scene had literally nothing to do with the plot of the first movie. The movie has its own plot, and this is added on as a "Come watch the sequel" tag.

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Annoying since with all the hoopla over the sequel I just put the first one my list.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Technically, it isn't the exact ending. It was more of a "Batman sees the Joker card" ending in Batman Begins. That specific scene had literally nothing to do with the plot of the first movie. The movie has its own plot, and this is added on as a "Come watch the sequel" tag.

• Like 2