kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 19.4 M FATE OF THE FURIOUS | 12 M HOW TO BE LATIN LOVER | 10.1 M BAAHUBALI II | 9.3 M THE CIRCLE

21 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Hey look at me I'm an ADHD millennial kid who thinks only the biggest movies, biggest countries, biggest whatever matter because my feeble brain and attention span couldn't possibly handle anything more complex and in depth!!

Ugh, kids these days are the worst.

All true and honest philosophers on the level of Immanuel Kant have ChrisCap avatars.

1 hour ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

I will likely never see ONE WEEK AND A DAY but after it only made a $3.2k PTA over the weekend I already despise it.

Should have gone Under like everyone else...

Edit - To be fair, I have no idea why the conventional wisdom happened to be right since it was pretty much a coin toss.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

Solid legs from BB

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
#
Mar 31–Apr 2 1 $50,198,902 - 3,773 - $13,305 $50,198,902 1
Apr 7–9 1 $26,363,488 -47.5% 3,829 +56 $6,885 $89,436,806 2
Apr 14–16 2 $16,012,349 -39.3% 3,743 -86 $4,278 $116,793,579 3
Apr 21–23 2 $12,712,144 -20.6% 3,697 -46 $3,439 $136,954,014 4
Apr 28–30 5 $9,050,000
(Estimate)
-28.8% 3,739 +42 $2,420 $148,465,584
(Estimate)

It's 5m behind Home and next weekend won't be kind.

However, Home also fell 56.6% 'next' weekend, so BB should keep pace despite potentially a big drop due to GOTG2.

Still looking good for 165+.

Est. $9,050,000
4-30-17 / 5
3,739 / $2,420
-28.8%
$148,465,584
$8,005,648
4-26-15 / 4
3,311 / $2,418
-24.5%
$153,489,719
Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Fast & Furious is kinda like Star Wars in Portugal and GoTG Vol 2 still improved over the first movie in Portugal. Also Disney marketing is fine.

In Portugal? No, it's not fine, like... at all. I see ads for movies all the time in TV and radio and whatnot, except for Disney movies. They rarely show up, and I only see them on the Disney Channel or Sport TV (which is our premium aka extra paid cable sports channel).

33 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

In Portugal? No, it's not fine, like... at all. I see ads for movies all the time in TV and radio and whatnot, except for Disney movies. They rarely show up, and I only see them on the Disney Channel or Sport TV (which is our premium aka extra paid cable sports channel).

It seems like Disney has decided the cost benefit doesn't require more that and it's enough to advertise mostly on their own channels.  How much more would they have to spend to make sure their films are the top grossers?   (last year they had 5 films in the top 13 there) It's a comparatively small market so is it worth it to Disney to spend several hundred thousand more in advertising to maybe make $500k -1m more in theatrical of which they get maybe 40%?  Probably not..  Just because you gross more doesn't mean you profit more if you have to spend more to get it.  Especially if spending that money elsewhere might yield a bigger profit.

Edited by TalismanRing

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It seems like Disney has decided the cost benefit doesn't require more that and it's enough to advertise mostly on their own channels.  How much more would they have to spend to make sure their films are the top grossers?   (last year they had 5 films in the top 13 there) It's a comparatively small market so is it worth it to Disney to spend several hundred thousand more in advertising to maybe make $500k -1m more in theatrical of which they get maybe 40%?  Probably not..  Just because you gross more doesn't mean you profit more if you have to spend more to get it.  Especially if spending that money elsewhere might yield a bigger profit.

That still doesn't make the actual marketing they do good by any means, though. It justifies it somehow, and that's it. It's still poor marketing.

16 hours ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Hidden Figures is a recent PG rated film that wasn't a "kids' movie" per se, sure there could have been more language or racial epithets and not been untrue to life either but the latter would have undercut the movie's point about how prejudice can be more covert. There is more than one approach to Civil Rights on Film than Mississippi Burning.

In the 2000s, The Rookie was actually rated G, it was surprising they didn't throw in one "damn" or something bump it up to a PG for mild language.

But everyone was shocked Hidden Figures got a PG - most everyone predicted PG-13. And you can tell from the language included in the film Fox expected to get a mild PG-13 like The Help (another film that probably could have gotten a PG with a couple profanities cut out).

If it weren't for the one F-bomb in La La Land, that would be another example of a PG-rated film that doesn't target families. The King's Speech could have easily gotten a PG if not for the cluster of profanities (in both the PG-13 and R versions).

There are recent examples, though:

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

The Hundred-Foot Journey

most Sherwood Pictures/Pure Flix releases (only the Affirm Films releases explicitly target families)

Life of Pi

Mr. Holmes

Love & Friendship

The Walk

Meet the Patels

Into the Woods (pretty risqué for a family-friendly Disney film)

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

2016 Obama's America

The Big Year

Letters to Juliet

The Last Song

Just Wright

Leap Year

Extraordinary Measures

Michael Jackson's This is It

Bride Wars

Confessions of a Shopaholic

Fame (2009)

New in Town

Amelia

The Young Victoria

Bandslam

Some target pre-teens/teens, but none of the above would really appeal to someone under the age of 10 or 11, nor would the average parent think to take a young child to any of the above films except maybe Into the Woods

• Like 3

12 hours ago, drdungbeetle said:

Who the frig cares about Portugal so much, Brazil is where the population is if we're talking Portugese speaking countries

News for Guardians 2 are not great from down here either... 

• Community Manager
6 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That still doesn't make the actual marketing they do good by any means, though. It justifies it somehow, and that's it. It's still poor marketing.

It's not bad marketing if it gets people in theaters anyway. The whole purpose of marketing is to spread the word. If Disney is making money in Portugal, it's successful. If it's successful, the marketing is fine.

22 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

It's not bad marketing if it gets people in theaters anyway. The whole purpose of marketing is to spread the word. If Disney is making money in Portugal, it's successful. If it's successful, the marketing is fine.

Yeah, but I don't know if they really are making that much money over here. Would have to ask @CJohn about that.

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

if it hit 2.5 X multiplier, it could be in top 10 highest grossing foreign language film of all time in US

but indian film's multiplier were not really well documented, and all major indian film released here for the last few years, were all in december, where holidays skew the multiplier  

16 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

La La Land and The King's Speech bascially being "PG" films says more about how stupid the MPAA is than it does about how "inappropriate" the movies are. 

I was shocked too, to learn that la la land was PG-13,....

what? those choreography of dancing in the film was too intense for child? may cause severe injured for the kid who try to imitate the dance.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

I was shocked too, to learn that la la land was PG-13,....

what? those choreography of dancing in the film was too intense for child? may cause severe injured for the kid who try to imitate the dance.....

Enjoy the completely stupid and arbitrary US rating system where you can rip people's guts out and still get a PG-13, yet saying "fuck" (a word that people now use every 5 seconds in the US) is somehow an R.