Eevin

BOT's Ranking of the Top 200 Films of All Time Adjusted: THE OFFICIAL COUNTDOWN THREAD (after much delay, the full list on pg.10)

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

What would it have been like if the internet had been around when The Greatest Show on Earth won over High Noon and The Quiet Man, while Singin' in the Rain wasn't even nominated. 

Roughly equivalent to if Moonlight had won best picture this year instead of - ah crap nevermind

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Earthquake is a good reminder that the '70s too had their share of big dumb spectacles that were huge hits and then got thrown into the dustbin of history. It wasn't all New Hollywood gold.

I don't think anyone's claiming that all the big hits were perfect. Stupid disaster movies with big names casts were very popular during that period, hence Earthquake's success. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

Terrific stuff so far.  I'm loving the brief but informative and succinct write-ups.  So glad I kept Transformers ROF out of last. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

What would it have been like if the internet had been around when The Greatest Show on Earth won over High Noon and The Quiet Man, while Singin' in the Rain wasn't even nominated. 

A travesty.

Yet still a better movie than Argo.   At least GSOE had Jimmy Stewart as a clown/on the run Dr..

• Like 2

Next up, our first faith-based film, and a movie based off of a highly successful novel.

Spoiler

The Robe (1953)

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

The_Robe_(1953_movie_poster).jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 47

Lists: 5

Average points: 60.047

Rotten Tomatoes: 33%

The Robe is a reminder of a simpler time - a time when films entirely devoted to religious faith could get huge budgets and receive huge audiences in return. The biblical epic as we know it essentially died with The Passion of the Christ, if not earlier, and it's not hard to think of The Robe as discount Ben-Hur. The film centers around Marcellus, the centurion who kept the robe of Jesus. It was an enormous success, the highest-grossing film of 1953, even if modern critics give it the thumbs down for its uninspired plot and aboriginal characters. That seems to have been reflected in the minds of BOT voters as well - the very few that went out of their way to see this, that is.

Spoiler

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)

"Mr. Fogg, why must you be so...British?

MV5BNjRhNjVlYTgtODZiOS00OTVhLWE4ZTItZjc3

Rank adjusted for inflation: 49

Average points: 60.054

Rotten Tomatoes: 74%

Based on the classic Jules Verne novel of the same name, Around the World in 80 Days is an incredibly volatile and frenetic film, that makes up for in spectacle what it lacks in substance. Like The Greatest Show on Earth, many would argue that its five Oscar wins (including Best Picture) were undeserved, belonging to The Ten Commandments. While that's likely true, there's surely something to be said about the incredible practical efforts put into it - nearly 70,000 extras alone were needed for this film, to give you a sense of what most of it plays like. Its shallowness and vaudevillian nature do make it a bit of an understated work, though, and it is certainly not among the finest on this list.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Next up, our first faith-based film, and a movie based off of a highly successful novel.

Hide contents

The Robe (1953)

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

The_Robe_(1953_movie_poster).jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 47

Average points: 60.047

Rotten Tomatoes: 33%

The Robe is a reminder of a simpler time - a time when films entirely devoted to religious faith could get huge budgets and receive huge audiences in return. The biblical epic as we know it essentially died with The Passion of the Christ, if not earlier, and it's not hard to think of The Robe as discount Ben-Hur. The film centers around Marcellus, the centurion who kept the robe of Jesus. It was an enormous success, the highest-grossing film of 1953, even if modern critics give it the thumbs down for its uninspired plot and aboriginal characters. That seems to have been reflected in the minds of BOT voters as well - the very few that went out of their way to see this, that is.

Hide contents

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)

"Mr. Fogg, why must you be so...British?

MV5BNjRhNjVlYTgtODZiOS00OTVhLWE4ZTItZjc3

Rank adjusted for inflation: 49

Average points: 60.054

Based on the classic Jules Verne novel of the same name, Around the World in 80 Days is an incredibly volatile and frenetic film, that makes up for in spectacle what it lacks in substance. Like The Greatest Show on Earth, many would argue that its five Oscar wins (including Best Picture) were undeserved, belonging to The Ten Commandments. While that's likely true, there's surely something to be said about the incredible practical efforts put into it - nearly 70,000 extras alone were needed for this film, to give you a sense of what most of it plays like. Its shallowness and vaudevillian nature do make it a bit of an understated work, though, and it is certainly not among the finest on this list.

The King & I , Giant and Friendly Persuasion were also far more worthy.  Not to mention the criminally not nominated (for anything) The Searchers.  Also more worth non nominated - Richard III The Lady Killers, Lust For Life, The Rainmaker and on and on....  :blink:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Another personally beloved film of @WrathOfHan's, and the first of the 1970s disaster films...

Spoiler

The Secret Life of Pets (2016)

"I feel heroic! And handsome! I'm a little wet, but I still look good. I look good."

The_Secret_Life_of_Pets_poster.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 145

Lists: 14

Average points: 22.14

One thing that's crucial to understanding this list is that the tastes of BOT do not always reflect the tastes of the average consumer. If this were a list given to the general public, I'd imagine things like Rear Window among others would be closer to the bottom. That being said, I'm extremely happy that this forum decided to place SLOP this low (best acronym ever btw), as it truly is an uninspired, unbelievably undemanding piece of film. It's also Illumination's highest-grossing film domestically, at $368m and pennies above Despicable Me 2. Not to say that it doesn't have its moments, but in a day and age in which animation is on the rise as a medium, we shouldn't have to settle for films like these. Good for you, BOT. I'm going to be extremely angry with you later in the list, but good for you.

Spoiler

Airport (1970)

"That's one nice thing about the 707. It can do anything BUT read."

Airport_film.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 45

Lists: 7

Average points: 44.349

Rotten Tomatoes: 80%

I talked about the advent of the 1970s disaster film a little earlier with Earthquake, but this is the film with which that phenomenon started. Its cheerfully undemanding nature and robust special effects wizardry helped inspire numerous copycats throughout the decade, almost a miniature equivalent of what Star Wars did to sci-fi. Airport is probably among the best of the bunch, though it still suffers from a lot of the same problems that have plagued the disaster genre since its inception. Despite this, it manages to branch out from its limitations, winning one Oscar and being nominated for nine more, including Best Picture. As a disaster film, it still falls hopelessly short of what it needs to make an impression on the list.

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 16

A tale of shipwrecked life on an island, and a controversial romantic drama:

Spoiler

Swiss Family Robinson (1960)

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top?"MV5BYWUzZjgyMDUtZDMwZS00YjhkLWJkYTUtYmUy

Rank adjusted for inflation: 88

Average points: 63.38

Based on the 1812 novel Der Schweizerische Robinson, Walt Disney's Swiss Family Robinson is likely one of its most iconic live-action films (despite being extremely hard to obtain on any form of legal home video), and the first to be shot in Panavision lenses for all you film nerds out there. Its tale of a family shipwrecked on a deserted island appealed to families, and is a masterpiece of practical effects. It is the highest-grossing film of 1960, edging out Psycho (still yet to come on this list, naturally). However, modern audiences would likely find it a bit too saccharine for their tastes- it was indeed the product of a different time.

Spoiler

Love Story (1970)

"Love means never having to say you're sorry."

2fe4b282785a8af9bbfc8ca920bbfde5.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 37

Lists: 4

Average points: 84.821

Rotten Tomatoes: 57%

Based on the bestselling novel of the same name, Love Story is one of the defining romantic dramas in all of cinema, perhaps the Gone With the Wind, Casablanca or Titanic of its time, which proved that there was indeed an audience for the "chick flick" and revitalized melodrama in film. That's not to say that it's even half as good as any of those films - it's extremely contrived, and layered with thick cheese in every possible moment. And yet there's something to be said for Love Story's sincerity- it was clearly made with the right intentions, even if those intentions could go horribly awry.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, Eevin said:

A tale of shipwrecked life on an island, and a controversial romantic drama:

Hide contents

Swiss Family Robinson (1960)

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top?"MV5BYWUzZjgyMDUtZDMwZS00YjhkLWJkYTUtYmUy

Rank adjusted for inflation: 88

Average points: 63.38

Based on the 1812 novel Der Schweizerische Robinson, Walt Disney's Swiss Family Robinson is likely one of its most iconic live-action films (despite being extremely hard to obtain on any form of legal home video), and the first to be shot in Panavision lenses for all you film nerds out there. Its tale of a family shipwrecked on a deserted island appealed to families, and is a masterpiece of practical effects. It is the highest-grossing film of 1960, edging out Psycho (still yet to come on this list, naturally). However, modern audiences would likely find it a bit too saccharine for their tastes- it was indeed the product of a different time.

Hide contents

Love Story (1970)

"Love means never having to say you're sorry."

2fe4b282785a8af9bbfc8ca920bbfde5.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 37

Lists: 4

Average points: 84.821

Rotten Tomatoes: 57%

Based on the bestselling novel of the same name, Love Story is one of the defining romantic dramas in all of cinema, perhaps the Gone With the Wind, Casablanca or Titanic of its time, which proved that there was indeed an audience for the "chick flick" and revitalized melodrama in film. That's not to say that it's even half as good as any of those films - it's extremely contrived, and layered with thick cheese in every possible moment. And yet there's something to be said for Love Story's sincerity- it was clearly made with the right intentions, even if those intentions could go horribly awry.

Aww, I really like Swiss Family Robinson, should be alot higher than garbage like Suicide Sqaud and BvS. 

• Like 3

To close out the night, I thought we'd end with two films more adherent to modern taste (though, for these two films, "taste" is a very loose term). 

Spoiler

The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009)

"Well, I'm nearly one hundred and ten. It's time I settled down."

The_Twilight_Saga-_New_Moon_poster.JPG

Rank adjusted for inflation: 192

Lists: 11

Average rank: 31.93

Rotten Tomatoes: 28%

I've never seen a Twilight film, nor will I ever, nor will I ever pretend to, so this write-up will be a bit more brief. New Moon exploded after the surprisingly leggy original film, breaking the then-midnight record and scoring $142m in its opening weekend, the third-biggest at the time. It had god-awful legs afterward and collapsed, a trend commonly seen in popular YA films like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Star Wars...some people like these films. Most people don't. This is the only Twilight film on the list, so...cool?

Spoiler

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

"I like to achieve at least six impossible things before breakfast."

latest?cb=20120519233959

Rank adjusted for inflation: 159

Lists: 18

Average points: 19.838

Rotten Tomatoes: 52%

To everyone who thought that Avatar relied too much on spectacle over story, Disney made Alice in Wonderland - a cold, cynical corporate nightmare that made $1 billion worldwide in 2010 because people like bright colors. When I saw this in the theaters seven years ago, garbage me with no taste instantly named it my second-favorite movie. The more I've watched it over the years, though, the more I've seen how much of a total mess this movie is. I'm pretty sure this is singlehandedly what killed Johnny Depp's desire to try. Its visuals, though stunning, fail to cover up the fact that it's a creepy, narratively incoherent film that can't make up its mind on whether it wants to be a horror film or a family film. It is the thing that everyone is afraid Hollywood will become - an endlessly repetitive, joyless jumble of fun colors.

• Like 11

Just now, Kalo said:

Aww, I really like Swiss Family Robinson, should be alot higher than garbage like Suicide Sqaud and BvS. 

Yeah, this is where that whole "influence + popularity" thing comes in. Suicide Squad and BvS are inherently less popular than Swiss Family Robinson, but they were just seen by so many more people.

We'll get there, though. Trust me.

11 hours ago, Eevin said:

Another personally beloved film of @WrathOfHan's, and the first of the 1970s disaster films...

Is it odd that I initially thought both of these descriptors were referring to Secret Life of Pets? 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Eevin said:

To close out the night, I thought we'd end with two films more adherent to modern taste (though, for these two films, "taste" is a very loose term). 

Hide contents

The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009)

"Well, I'm nearly one hundred and ten. It's time I settled down."

The_Twilight_Saga-_New_Moon_poster.JPG

Rank adjusted for inflation: 192

Lists: 11

Average rank: 31.93

Rotten Tomatoes: 28%

I've never seen a Twilight film, nor will I ever, nor will I ever pretend to, so this write-up will be a bit more brief. New Moon exploded after the surprisingly leggy original film, breaking the then-midnight record and scoring $142m in its opening weekend, the third-biggest at the time. It had god-awful legs afterward and collapsed, a trend commonly seen in popular YA films like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Star Wars...some people like these films. Most people don't. This is the only Twilight film on the list, so...cool?

Hide contents

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

"I like to achieve at least six impossible things before breakfast."

latest?cb=20120519233959

Rank adjusted for inflation: 159

Lists: 18

Average points: 19.838

Rotten Tomatoes: 52%

To everyone who thought that Avatar relied too much on spectacle over story, Disney made Alice in Wonderland - a cold, cynical corporate nightmare that made $1 billion worldwide in 2010 because people like bright co2010lors. When I saw this in the theaters seven years ago, garbage me with no taste instantly named it my second-favorite movie. The more I've watched it over the years, though, the more I've seen how much of a total mess this movie is. I'm pretty sure this is singlehandedly what killed Johnny Depp's desire to try. Its visuals, though stunning, fail to cover up the fact that it's a creepy, narratively incoherent film that can't make up its mind on whether it wants to be a horror film or a family film. It is the thing that everyone is afraid Hollywood will become - an endlessly repetitive, joyless jumble of fun colors.

I'm not particularly proud of the fact that these are the only two films yet on the list that I have seen. To add to that, I Saw them both for the first and only time on the same night, back to back, on the night of New Year's Eve 2010-11. Quite a coincidence....

Hated both of them instantly.

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

I'm not particularly proud of the fact that these are the only two films yet on the list that I have seen. To add to that, I Saw them both for the first and only time on the same night, back to back, on the night of New Year's Eve 2010-11. Quite a coincidence....

Hated both of them instantly.

I've actually only seen Revenge of the Fallen so far. :ph34r: