Eevin

BOT's Ranking of the Top 200 Films of All Time Adjusted: THE OFFICIAL COUNTDOWN THREAD (after much delay, the full list on pg.10)

6 hours ago, Eevin said:

Hey all!

I've been slammed with finals for the past week, and this next week isn't looking too promising either in terms of my workload. I'll try to update this list when I can, but don't count on there being a regular schedule for a while.

Until I can find the time, here are some clues as to the next 5:

• 3 1980s films (goodie!)
  • A Dustin Hoffman vehicle
  • A disaster movie
  • 2 less-than-stellar sequels

Oh god. That means my favorite movie of all time will be in the next 5.

On 5/13/2017 at 0:56 AM, Goffe said:

Gotta be honest, I'm satisfied with myself for bringing it this low. :cloud9:

(Actually it was probably the sixteen (!) people who didn't see it)

Damn, it's been a long time. Sorry, everyone.

Don't worry, because we're back. 

Next on the list: Katharine Hepburn and Jeff Goldblum.

Spoiler

On Golden Pond (1981)

"There's something to be said for a deviant lifestyle!"

220px-On_golden_pond.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 172

Lists: 8

Average points: 93.254

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%

A staggering depiction of age, On Golden Pond is based off of the 1979 play of the same name. In a sense, it can be described as one of the last remnants of "Old Hollywood", as well as an homage to the new generation of films that would take their place. Featuring aging Henry Fonda and Katharine Hepburn, two of the greatest classic stars of all time (in what would be Fonda's final, Oscar-winning role) On Golden Pond is painfully underrated and underseen. While it was arguably lost amid Raiders of the Lost Ark and Chariots of Fire at the Oscars, it is a final farewell to the saccharine of early cinema.

Spoiler

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

"Mommy's very angry."

The_Lost_World_%E2%80%93_Jurassic_Park_p

Rank adjusted for inflation: 105

Lists: 17

Average points: 45.789

Rotten Tomatoes: 51%

When people discuss the biggest franchises, they're probably thinking of something like Star Wars, the MCU or Batman. But one of the biggest franchises to this day remains the Jurassic Park franchise, which broke the opening weekend record 3 (!) times, most recently with @Tele Came Back's favorite film in 2015. And this film shattered the opening weekend, with an astonishing $71m at the time. It also turned out to be a pretty bad movie with pretty bad legs (by 1997 standards), but it still shows the value of creating new franchises instead of recycling old ones - one of these times, you might end up with a series like Jurassic Park.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Eevin said:

Damn, it's been a long time. Sorry, everyone.

Don't worry, because we're back. 

Next on the list: Katharine Hepburn and Jeff Goldblum.

Hide contents

On Golden Pond (1981)

"There's something to be said for a deviant lifestyle!"

220px-On_golden_pond.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 172

Lists: 8

Average points: 93.254

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%

A staggering depiction of age, On Golden Pond is based off of the 1979 play of the same name. In a sense, it can be described as one of the last remnants of "Old Hollywood", as well as an homage to the new generation of films that would take their place. Featuring aging Henry Fonda and Katharine Hepburn, two of the greatest classic stars of all time (in what would be Fonda's final, Oscar-winning role) On Golden Pond is painfully underrated and underseen. While it was arguably lost amid Raiders of the Lost Ark and Chariots of Fire at the Oscars, it is a final farewell to the saccharine of early cinema.

Hide contents

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

"Mommy's very angry."

The_Lost_World_%E2%80%93_Jurassic_Park_p

Rank adjusted for inflation: 105

Lists: 17

Average points: 45.789

Rotten Tomatoes: 51%

When people discuss the biggest franchises, they're probably thinking of something like Star Wars, the MCU or Batman. But one of the biggest franchises to this day remains the Jurassic Park franchise, which broke the opening weekend record 3 (!) times, most recently with @Tele Came Back's favorite film in 2015. And this film shattered the opening weekend, with an astonishing $71m at the time. It also turned out to be a pretty bad movie with pretty bad legs (by 1997 standards), but it still shows the value of creating new franchises instead of recycling old ones - one of these times, you might end up with a series like Jurassic Park.

Another pairing of the superb and the sub par  :censored:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Another pairing of the superb and the sub par  :censored:

Really? Why would you think that "On Golden Pond" is sub par? I've heard good things about it.

:)

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 1

Next, one of the most expensive films of all time and an Aussie adventure.

Spoiler

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)

"Shoot him and cut out his tongue, then shoot his tongue! And trim that scraggly beard!"

Pirates_AWE_Poster.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 132

Lists: 18

Average points: 43.992

Rotten Tomatoes: 45%

At its peak, Pirates of the Caribbean was one of the dominant franchises. It was one of the first (alongside Transformers) to truly harness the power of overseas potential, though certainly not the only one - At World's End was actually the highest-grossing film worldwide of 2007. What didn't help was that the film was lazy, way over budget, and pretty convoluted, with a lot of unnecessary lore that distracted from the fun, goofy adventure that Curse of the Black Pearl was. It was the franchise at its peak, while also the franchise at its worst. 

But damn, is it a good-looking movie.

Spoiler

Crocodile Dundee (1986)

"That's not a knife...THIS is a knife."

large_9CMs97WSBWaXbS3R17BqGfjGaBl.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 123

Lists: 11

Average points: 73.302

Rotten Tomatoes: 90%

Perhaps the most well-known Australian production of all time, Crocodile Dundee is an ode to the great down under and is probably where people get a lot of their "ocker Aussie" cliches from. It hasn't held up particularly well since its release, but it serves as a reminder of the influence films can have on our perception of the world - this is what many people imagined Australians to be like for a while. (Having never seen it, I can't speak to its quality, but I'm sure it's good lol)

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Next, one of the most expensive films of all time and an Aussie adventure.

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

The latter is a typical "fish out of water story." I watched it like 25-ish years after it came out, kept checking my watch to see when it would end. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, franfar said:

13RTdSWeqFE6T6.gif

I'm doing this solo, buddy

If you read Eevin's blurb for it, you would see:

It hasn't held up particularly well since its release

I say that this counts as an insult towards the treasured Australian film, Crocodile Dundee.

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I say that this counts as an insult towards the treasured Australian film, Crocodile Dundee.

I did see that. But he also said:

(Having never seen it, I can't speak to its quality, but I'm sure it's good lol)

So I assumed he heard from elsewhere that it didn't hold up well, since he hadn't seen it.

Edited by franfar
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, aabattery said:

@DeeCee these people are insulting your national movie

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Just wait until they start claiming Foster's is the Aussie National Beer

• Like 6

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

"treasured"

2 minutes ago, Eevin said:

"treasured"

Hey, it's still the second highest grossing Australian film in Australia. Only Fury Road has beaten it after all these years, and that doesn't account for inflation.

Rank Title Year of release Budget (A$) Australian gross (A$) Worldwide gross (US$)
1 Mad Max: Fury Road 2015 $150,000,000 $49,000,000 $375,836,354
2 Crocodile Dundee 1986 $11,500,000 $47,707,045[36] $328,203,506
3 Australia 2008 $200,000,000 (US$130,000,000, US$78,000,000 after tax incentives)[37] $36,780,000 $211,342,221
4 Babe 1995 $30,000,000 $36,770,000 $254,134,910
5 Happy Feet 2006 $132,740,000 $31,800,000 $384,300,000
6 Lion 2016 $15,000,000 $27,729,000 (as of 13 March 2017[38]) $156,000,000
7 Moulin Rouge! 2001 $52,000,000 $27,700,000 $179,213,434
8 The Dressmaker 2015 $17,000,000 $25,000,000
9 Crocodile Dundee II 1988 $15,800,000 $24,900,000 $239,606,210
10 Strictly Ballroom 1992 $3,000,000 $21,800,000 $80,000,000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tower said:

So @Eevin, are you ever going to finish this?

Yes. I do apologize for the long delay, I've had a lot of family issues going on (which is also why I've been posting less over the last month). It will continue next week.

• Like 5