Eevin

BOT's Ranking of the Top 200 Films of All Time Adjusted: THE OFFICIAL COUNTDOWN THREAD (after much delay, the full list on pg.10)

Good morning. Time for this countdown to get started.

First, a quick explanation of this list, for those unaffiliated: roughly a month ago, I asked everyone to rank the top 200 films of all time adjusted for ticket price inflation, the complete list of which can be found here. Since it's a box office forum as well as a place to discuss the film industry at-large, I thought this would be a nice little segue between the two categories.

22 lists were received, ranging from 25 all the way to the full 200. Each list was scored on a proportional basis from 1 to 200 in order to ensure that no individual list was given extra weight - due to the specificity of the scoring, no tiebreakers were necessary. No individual film was featured on all 22 lists. 

As such, this list will be gauged on two separate merits:

Popularity: The average amount of points each film received per list- if a film had an average of 30, for example, that would indicate that it was often placed towards the bottom of a list. If a film has an average of 150, the opposite holds true. Keep in mind this is out of 200.

Influence: The amount of lists received containing the film. 

The final list is a mixture of these two, as higher-ranked films will need to have a healthy dose of both of these as opposed to one or the other.

Until the top 100 or so, I'll be doing ~2 entries per post, although depending on the importance of the film I may give it an individual one.

#200 will be revealed later today.

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 12

Ohh that's a very interesting way to count the points, I'm looking forward even more to this one.

Can you also give the individual scores of each film on the Popularity and the Influence indexes just out of curiosity as you list them on the overall top 200?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Ohh that's a very interesting way to count the points, I'm looking forward even more to this one.

Can you also give the individual scores of each film on the Popularity and the Influence indexes just out of curiosity as you list them on the overall top 200?

Yes. At the end I'll probably post 3 lists, one of the Popularity index, one of the Influence index, and one of the total points each film received.

• Like 2

We'll start our list with two unseen and unappreciated films from box office prehistory...

Spoiler

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1921)

"Is it not enough to lead my son into wild ways without teaching my daughter the tango?"

Four_Horsemen_of_the_Apocalypse_Poster.j

Rank adjusted for inflation: 124

Lists: 2

Average points: 26.5

Rotten Tomatoes: n/a

Seeing as this is the oldest film on the list, it makes sense that it would be by far the least viewed. Only the two users who submitted full lists of 200 saw it - it's available in its entirety on YouTube, which gives you a sense of how little people care about this film. The film was the mastermind of June Mathis, a female screenwriter who rapidly became one of the most influential executives in early Hollywood. It was the biggest film since The Birth of a Nation, and made waves with its explicitly anti-war sentiments.

I really don't know what more to say about this one. No one saw it, and no one who saw it really liked it. 

Spoiler

Earthquake (1974)

"Barbara, take off your pantyhose, dammit! You too, c'mon, take off your pantyhose!"

Earthquake_movie.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 158

Lists: 5

Average points: 31.653

Rotten Tomatoes: 35%

Another film that just not many people have seen, Earthquake dates from the prehistorical pre-1975 box office era - in 1974, a time when the disaster film had reached its apex with The Towering Inferno and Airport 1975. Inferno will come later on in this list, but critics were generally unkind to Earthquake, which centered around what would happen if a catastrophic earthquake destroyed Los Angeles, California, not unlike San Andreas two years ago. Critics praised its visual effects and technical marvels (which won it several Oscars) but criticized its weak plot and characters. So basically every disaster movie ever made.

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 14

We'll continue with @WrathOfHan's favorite movie and another oldie...

Spoiler

Minions (2015)

"Something something banana lol please buy our merchandise"

6-4315-6-Funny-Minion-Quotes-Of-The-Day-

Rank adjusted for inflation: 170

Lists: 13

Average points: 14.739

Rotten Tomatoes: 56%

By far the most unpopular film on this list, Minions is the third installment of the Despicable Me franchise, from this forum's favorite animation studio Illumination. The film is essentially an experiment in how insultingly childlike a major film can be while still being a major success, and it absolutely succeeded on every level, making $1.1 billion worldwide and billions more in merchandising. Surprisingly, critics didn't hate this film, with many calling it "hilarious" for continuing the Minions' antics - the biggest problem, however, would seem to be that the emotional core of the Despicable Me franchise is entirely lacking. 

Spoiler

Duel in the Sun (1946)

"If I'm not good enough to marry, I'm not good enough to kiss."

Duel_in_the_Sun.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 100

Lists: 3

Average points: 65.893

Rotten Tomatoes: 81%

Duel in the Sun, produced by David O. Selznick, who produced Gone With the Wind, was released at the height of the Western genre's popularity. Although he had initially hoped that it would be another success on par with that 1939 film, he was mistaken - the film initially received poor reviews upon release, and was never able to live up to Gone With the Wind despite being an enormous financial success. However, over 70 years later, numerous rereleases and positive critical memories have somewhat saved this film's reputation. Its position on this list comes not from its unpopularity necessarily, so much as it does the lack of people that saw this film.

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 11

Arguably the most undeserving Best Picture of all time as well as a film saved from outright humiliation by a certain someone...

Spoiler

The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)

"Clowns are funny people. They only love once."

Poster%20-%20Greatest%20Show%20on%20Eart

Rank adjusted for inflation: 61

Lists: 4

Average points: 56.695

Rotten Tomatoes: 44%

Set inside the Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus, The Greatest Show on Earth has often been named as the worst and most undeserving Best Picture winner of all time. Directed by one of the founding fathers of cinema, Cecil B. DeMille, his win was seen as more of a last honor for his accomplishments, despite his final film The Ten Commandments failing to win four years later. Despite its enormous box office success in both America and Britain, the film has since struggled to find an audience on home video or television, and today has not left a major cultural impact. Perhaps the biggest thing The Greatest Show on Earth has contributed to cinema is Steven Spielberg, who cited the film as an inspiration for his entrance into the film world.

Spoiler

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

"You picked the wrong planet! Give me your FACE!"

220px-TF2SteelPoster.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 86

List: 13

Average points: 17.886

Rotten Tomatoes: 19%

Remember how I said Minions was the most widely disliked film on the list? The only reason that Revenge of the Fallen does not sit below it on that infamous list is because of...a certain user whose love for the Transformers franchise baffles, amuses, and entertains us. Critics hated this film, citing it as everything wrong with modern blockbuster filmmaking. Nonetheless, it still did tremendously well for itself, pulling in $836m worldwide and becoming the highest-grossing Transformers film in America. The series may be on the downswing now, but just eight years ago it was one of the most popular in Hollywood.

• Like 13

And maybe two more for now - both Barbra Streisand films.

Spoiler

Funny Girl (1968)

"Hello, gorgeous."

large_4b5ZtYmVtwz5R0UDavj3rvQJrBj.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 177

Average points: 58.429

Rotten Tomatoes: 93%

Funny Girl, starring Barbra Streisand, is a very mediocre film with a very terrific lead performance and I'm ashamed but not shocked at all of you that this isn't higher. Streisand won Best Actress for her nuanced performance, having previously performed the same role on the Broadway show of the same name. The film was a huge box office success, but has never quite achieved the same kind of cultural notoriety as its 1968 counterparts 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Love Bug. It simply loses points for being underseen and underappreciated.

Spoiler

What's Up, Doc? (1972)

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

whats-up-doc-movie-poster-1972-102022277

Rank adjusted for inflation: 193

Average points: 74.185

Rotten Tomatoes: 90%

What's Up, Doc? is a screwball comedy directed by Peter Bogdanovich and released in 1972, intended to pay an homage to many of the comedies of the 1930s - including older Bugs Bunny cartoons. Once again, it stars Barbra Streisand, and centers around four identical plaid bags and the individuals who own them. It takes a relatively simple premise and is allowed to run with it, becoming one of the more enjoyable comedies of the 1970s. Though popular at the time of release, it has since been overshadowed by its 1972 counterparts The Godfather and (to a much lesser extent) The Poseidon Adventure. 

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Eevin said:

And maybe two more for now - both Barbra Streisand films.

Hide contents

Funny Girl (1968)

"Hello, gorgeous."

large_4b5ZtYmVtwz5R0UDavj3rvQJrBj.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 177

Average points: 58.429

Rotten Tomatoes: 93%

Funny Girl, starring Barbra Streisand, is a very mediocre film with a very terrific lead performance and I'm ashamed but not shocked at all of you that this isn't higher. Streisand won Best Actress for her nuanced performance, having previously performed the same role on the Broadway show of the same name. The film was a huge box office success, but has never quite achieved the same kind of cultural notoriety as its 1968 counterparts 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Love Bug. It simply loses points for being underseen and underappreciated.

Hide contents

What's Up, Doc? (1972)

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

whats-up-doc-movie-poster-1972-102022277

Rank adjusted for inflation: 193

Average points: 74.185

Rotten Tomatoes: 90%

What's Up, Doc? is a screwball comedy directed by Peter Bogdanovich and released in 1972, intended to pay an homage to many of the comedies of the 1930s - including older Bugs Bunny cartoons. Once again, it stars Barbra Streisand, and centers around four identical plaid bags and the individuals who own them. It takes a relatively simple premise and is allowed to run with it, becoming one of the more enjoyable comedies of the 1970s. Though popular at the time of release, it has since been overshadowed by its 1972 counterparts The Godfather and (to a much lesser extent) The Poseidon Adventure. 

Both these films deserve much better.  Watch them.

• Like 1