alisson23

Disney: Currently the biggest, most powerful, smartest and (??)most safe(??) movie company in the world.

Hollywood has been suffering from the lack of originality of studios, but this doesn't stop us from seeing bold films with some originality and without having connection with some BRAND like Life, The Shallows, Arrival, acclaimed science-fiction film acclaimed science-fiction film acclaimed science-fiction film Gravity, even Sausage Party.... having a wide releases. Sony, Warner Bros, Fox, Lionsgate, Universal, even the poor Paramount has made many contributions.
But currently, what contribution Disney, the biggest and most powerful studio in the world is giving to the cinema for the art or for the originality?
In recent years, Disney has released some original non-brand films: McFarland USA (2015), Bridge of Spies (2015), The Finest Hours (2016), Queen of Katwe (2016 / limited release), but this number comes lower every year. Still lowest amount compared to other studios. But in the next few years we won't see even this, there's only 1 original non-brand movie called "Magic Camp" (a comedy movie) scheduled for 2018, because Disney's calendar is replete with remakes, sequels and brand movies:

BUENA VISTA

FUTURE RELEASES

Movie Title (click to view) Studio Release Date
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Buena Vista 5/5/17
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales Buena Vista 5/26/17
Cars 3 Buena Vista 6/16/17
Thor: Ragnarok Buena Vista 11/3/17
Coco Buena Vista 11/22/17
Star Wars: The Last Jedi Buena Vista 12/15/17
Black Panther Buena Vista 2/16/18
A Wrinkle in Time Buena Vista 3/9/18
Magic Camp Buena Vista 4/6/18
Avengers: Infinity War Buena Vista 5/4/18
Untitled Han Solo Star Wars Anthology Film Buena Vista 5/25/18
The Incredibles 2 Buena Vista 6/15/18
Ant-Man and the Wasp Buena Vista 7/6/18
Untitled Disney Live Action Fairy-Tale (2018) Buena Vista 8/3/18
Mulan (Live Action) Buena Vista 11/2/18
Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 Buena Vista 11/21/18
Mary Poppins Returns Buena Vista 12/25/18
Captain Marvel Buena Vista 3/8/19
Untitled Disney Fairy Tale (Live Action) Buena Vista 3/29/19
Untitled Disneytoon Movie (2019) Buena Vista 4/12/19
Untitled Avengers Buena Vista 5/3/19
Star Wars: Episode IX Buena Vista 5/24/19
Toy Story 4 Buena Vista 6/21/19
The Lion King (Live Action) Buena Vista 7/19/19
Untitled Disney Live Action (2019) Buena Vista 8/9/19
Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale #1 (2019) [Live Action] Buena Vista 11/8/19
Frozen 2 Buena Vista 11/27/19
Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale #2 (2019) [Live Action] Buena Vista 12/20/19
Untitled Pixar Animation (March 2020) Buena Vista 3/13/20
Untitled Disney Live Action (2020) Buena Vista 4/3/20
Untitled Marvel Movie (May 2020) Buena Vista 5/1/20
Untitled Pixar Animation (June 2020) Buena Vista 6/19/20
Untitled Indiana Jones (2019) Buena Vista 7/10/20
Untitled Marvel Movie (July 2020) Buena Vista 8/7/20
Untitled Marvel Movie (November 2020) Buena Vista 11/6/20
Gigantic Buena Vista 11/25/20
Untitled Disney Live Action (2021) Buena Vista 3/12/21
Untitled Pixar Animation (3D) Buena Vista 6/18/21
Untitled Disney Animation (Nov 2021) Buena Vista 11/24/21
Inhumans Buena Vista TBD

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?view2=upcoming&view=company&studio=buenavista.htm

One thing needs to be clear: THERE IS NO PROBLEM IN MAKING REMAKES, BRANDS FILMS AND SEQUELS, all studios do that, but LIVING ONLY doing remakes, brand films and sequels, is disappointing. Even more coming from a company as rich and powerful as Disney. Is this the message that Disney wants to pass to smaller studios like STX and A24? "You must to invest ONLY in big brands, remakes and sequels if you want to be rich like me." Why can not anyone see what's going on?? Disney is setting a bad example for the movies industry. I miss the time when Disney used to try to release something "original" like Tomorrowland, John Carter, Bridge of Spies... They were bold at least.
As someone who loves the seventh art, I find that very discouraging.
I created this topic in order to have a discussion about it, as it is worrisome.

Discuss...

Edited by alisson23
  • Like 6

So Pixar/WDAS isn't original due to animation? Disney is starting to get back into original movies like Wrinkle in Time, Magic Camp, and some untitled Live Action Disney films (not fairly tales, but live action).

• Like 1

Eh. They've got some interesting projects coming up with cool creative choices. And I wouldn't say lazy; they clearly still put a lot of work into these things.

It's just what works for them. Other studios don't have the IP's to run a system like Disney, so it's not a huge issue IMO. There's still plenty of great films put out every year and I can't see that changing, so I'm not overly concerned for the artform overall. There's an argument for blockbusters getting worse I guess, but that's a taste thing more than anything.

I don't think there's anything to worry about at this point. Also it's really silly to think distributors like A24 are trying to compete with Disney. They're very clearly doing their own thing.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Eh. They've got some interesting projects coming up with cool creative choices. And I wouldn't say lazy; they clearly still put a lot of work into these things.

It's just what works for them. Other studios don't have the IP's to run a system like Disney, so it's not a huge issue IMO. There's still plenty of great films put out every year and I can't see that changing, so I'm not overly concerned for the artform overall. There's an argument for blockbusters getting worse I guess, but that's a taste thing more than anything.

I don't think there's anything to worry about at this point.

Lazy in having ideas.

21 minutes ago, YourMother said:

So Pixar/WDAS isn't original due to animation? Disney is starting to get back into original movies like Wrinkle in Time, Magic Camp, and some untitled Live Action Disney films (not fairly tales, but live action).

Dude, they are brands. That's not my point. Wrinkle in Time is a new adaptation: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290382/

Edited by alisson23

Disney creates a product that people like. If you don't like it, that's your opinion.

Creating a brand that's consistently successful w/o seeming stale is the opposite of lazy IMO. It shows great skill and knowhow of your craft. I'm not sure why this thread was even created, it might get locked.

Edited by franfar
  • Like 15

12 minutes ago, franfar said:

Disney creates a product that people like. If you don't like it, that's your opinion.

Creating a brand that's consistently successful w/o seeming stale is the opposite of lazy IMO. It shows great skill and knowhow of your craft. I'm not sure why this thread was even created, it might get locked.

15 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I mean, that's your opinion. Just because somethings a sequel or a remake doesn't inherently make them lazy. 

How much investiments in non brands Disney have?

We saw many this year, no one from Disney.

Get out, The cure for wellness, Split, Going in Style, Fist Fight, Life...

Disney only brands and remakes of brands.

Edited by alisson23

3 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

Disney only brands and remakes of brands.

It's almost as if that's a good business decision. Again, not like the people hate it.

Edited by franfar
  • Like 2

Just now, alisson23 said:

Disney only brands. 

Okay? I really don't get the issue you're having with "brands". Like people have said, they still put out original stuff from their animation divisions. The rest, you don't really have to watch. The other studio's still put out plenty of stuff if Disney's crop isn't your cup of tea.

• Like 6

Just now, aabattery said:

Okay? I really don't get the issue you're having with "brands". Like people have said, they still put out original stuff from their animation divisions. The rest, you don't really have to watch. The other studio's still put out plenty of stuff if Disney's crop isn't your cup of tea.

1 minute ago, franfar said:

It's almost as if that's a good business decision. Again, not like the people hate it.

Did you read the first post?

"One thing needs to be clear: THERE IS NO PROBLEM IN MAKING REMAKES, BRANDS FILMS AND SEQUELS, all studios do that, but LIVING ONLY doing remakes, brand films and sequels, is disappointing. Even more coming from a company as rich and powerful as Disney"

As someone who loves the seventh art, is disapointing to read these posts. I don't believe there is people encouraging big Companies to not invest in originality. There's no problem with brands, but let's to give a help to new and bold things, please. I'm very disapointed.

Just now, alisson23 said:

Did you read the first post?

"One thing needs to be clear: THERE IS NO PROBLEM IN MAKING REMAKES, BRANDS FILMS AND SEQUELS, all studios do that, but LIVING ONLY doing remakes, brand films and sequels, is disappointing. Even more coming from a company as rich and powerful as Disney"

Yeah, but I don't think it's an issue like you do. Especially when you ignore the good work that their animation teams do. 

It's just a release strategy. They're the only ones that can really get away with it, and I'll live without their original stuff. Other studio's are more than capable of picking up the slack on that front and I'm sure Disney will have to go back to it at some stage.