department store basement

Which films from 2016 will be well remembered in 10 years?

Which films from 2016 will be well remembered in 10 years?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which films from 2016 will be well remembered in 10 years?

• 10 Cloverfield Lane
    • The Accountant
    • Arrival
    • Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
    • Captain America: Civil War
    • The Conjuring 2
    • Deadpool
    • Doctor Strange
    • Don't Breathe
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    • Finding Dory
    • Ghostbusters
    • Hacksaw Ridge
    • Hell or High Water
    • The Jungle Book
    • La La Land
    • Manchester by the Sea
    • Moana
    • Moonlight
    • The Nice Guys
    • Passengers
    • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    • Sausage Party
    • The Secret Life of Pets
    • Star Trek Beyond
    • Suicide Squad
    • Sully
    • X-Men: Apocalypse
    • Zootopia
    • Other

10 Cloverfield Lane

Arrival

Batman v. Superman

Deadpool

Don't Breathe

Finding Dory

Ghostbusters

Hacksaw Ridge

Hell or High Water

Jungle Book

La La Land

Manchester by the Sea

Moonlight

Nice Guys

Rogue One

Star Trek Beyond

Suicide Squad

Zootopia

• Like 1

Moonlight and La La Land will obviously be remembered just for that Best Picture snafu if nothing else (which is a shame since both are excellent movies).

Zootopia will most likely still be a favorite among Disney fans and the kids of today. And Rogue One will probably be brought up just because of its place in the Star Wars universe but eh to the movie itself.

• Like 2

Sadly, I get the feeling that Moonlight will only be remembered as the answer to a trivia question. The film itself is amazing, but it's so mellow and so focused on showing rather than telling that I feel like many mainstream viewers who give it a chance won't get why anyone would like it, let alone why it won Best Picture. I just hope that it doesn't join the ranks of Annie Hall, Ordinary People, and Shakespeare in Love as a great film whose reputation is besmirched by winning the top Oscar over a more popular/culturally revered film. (I added the last qualifier for Ordinary People, which was a bigger mainstream hit than Raging Bull at the time.)

I feel like there are two better questions springing off the one presented in this thread: which 2016 films will develop cult followings, and which 2016 hits will be forgotten?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Sadly, I get the feeling that Moonlight will only be remembered as the answer to a trivia question. The film itself is amazing, but it's so mellow and so focused on showing rather than telling that I feel like many mainstream viewers who give it a chance won't get why anyone would like it, let alone why it won Best Picture. I just hope that it doesn't join the ranks of Annie Hall, Ordinary People, and Shakespeare in Love as a great film whose reputation is besmirched by winning the top Oscar over a more popular/culturally revered film. (I added the last qualifier for Ordinary People, which was a bigger mainstream hit than Raging Bull at the time.)

I feel like there are two better questions springing off the one presented in this thread: which 2016 films will develop cult followings, and which 2016 hits will be forgotten?

The Nice Guys has "future cult hit" written all over it.

The painstakingly slow crawl to $100M will be the only reason anyone will remember Passengers at all within even two years from now, and even then, only box office aficionados will remember it.

31 minutes ago, John Marston said:

some of these movies will play on FX or TNT or or AMC until the end of time regardless of quality

Yep.

Deadpool, BvS, Apocalypse, Suicide Squad, Fantastic Beasts, Sully, and Nice Guys will be played on FX/TNT for ages. Probably Accountant as well (it just screams TNT to me). Civil War, Rogue One, STB will mostly be played as part of marathons I would assume.

Zootopia, Moana, Jungle Book, Dory, and Pets will live on through Freeform or Disney XD.

Just now, department store basement said:

Jason Bourne

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

Miss Peregrine's

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

Central Intelligence

All 3 of these will stay alive from FX/TNT/Spike/etc.  IDK about the others though.

4 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

All 3 of these will stay alive from FX/TNT/Spike/etc.  IDK about the others though.

I guess CI could be a TBS staple like Get Smart and Jason Bourne could live on through Bourne marathons (though people would probably be asleep before it comes on) but Miss Peregrine's? REALLY? People stopped caring about it when it left theaters (maybe during the middle of its run).

Edited by department store basement

Just now, department store basement said:

I guess CI could be a TBS staple like Get Smart and Jason Bourne could live on through Bourne marathons (though people would probably be asleep before it comes on) but Miss Peregrine's? REALLY?

Peregrine's seems like something that FX will spam to death.

Anything Disney does is going to be remembered. Disney's the master of reminding people of their stuff.

AiW2? "The movie no-one wanted." [emoji4] In general I do think you have a valid point.
  • Like 1