Finnick

Monday Numbers: GOTG2:9.86M | FF8:0.60M | HTBLL:0.39M

16 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Yeah nothing great about it, literally at all. In fact I would argue that number sucks hard. The Phantom Menace made more than that on its first non-holiday Monday almost 20 years ago with no IMAX, no 3D, not 4,000 theaters, and much lower ticket prices. Look at the list and how the hell does even LEGO Batman beat Guardians 2's Monday? Great Monday? LOL wow pass the weed. That number sucks!!

The Phantom Menace was a massive deal back then, which adjusted for inflation goes up almost to $800m...next time compare any movie with Force Awakens to prove your point

Edited by XO21

23 minutes ago, a2knet said:

That would be a 24% jump and doable. I think I went conservative with 11.2.

I mentioned that because you literally 1 downed me with my prediction 

11 ---> 12

.2 ----> .3

:lol:

Edited by DMan7
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Yeah nothing great about it, literally at all. In fact I would argue that number sucks hard. The Phantom Menace made more than that on its first non-holiday Monday almost 20 years ago with no IMAX, no 3D, not 4,000 theaters, and much lower ticket prices. Look at the list and how the hell does even LEGO Batman beat Guardians 2's Monday? Great Monday? LOL wow pass the weed. That number sucks!!

Lego Batman made $2.7m  its first Monday vs GotG2  $10m.  Comparing it to the first Star Wars film  in 16 years is pretty ridiculous as well considering the mass hype that TPM had.  Looking at 2017 movies, so far GotG2 has the 2nd highest grossing first Monday behind Beauty and the Beast, which opened $30m higher.

Looking at the 1st Monday (or Tue or Wed or Thu for that matter) to judge legs is as good as looking at tea leaves.

No, tea leaves are more accurate.

At least wait for the 2nd weekend.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Looking at the 1st Monday (or Tue or Wed or Thu for that matter) to judge legs is as good as looking at tea leaves.

No, tea leaves are more accurate.

At least wait for the 2nd weekend.

I'm not surprised, many people predict the legs and the entire run based on the thursday previews, hahah

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm not surprised, many people predict the legs and the entire run based on the thursday previews, hahah

Yeah.

I think even the 2nd weekend may not tell much considering these days all CBM sequels will fall bigger due to Thu previews and DCU/MCU fan-base front-loading and your usual sequelitis.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Yeah.

I think even the 2nd weekend may not tell much considering these days all CBM sequels will fall bigger due to Thu previews and DCU/MCU fan-base front-loading and your usual sequelitis.

Best example of this is suicide squad. Had better legs than what looked on second weekend.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Best example of this is suicide squad. Had better legs than what looked on second weekend.

But Suicide Squad also had far less cmpetition.Suicide Squad basically had the entire August on its own until Don't Breath came out...and even then there was not a big audience overlap between the two movies.May has  some releases that can take some of the audience from Guardiands and then another comic book movie (Wonder Woman) being released on June 2.From then on,all the other Summer blockbusters will heavily cut into its audience preventing it from having good late legs....which again didn't happen with SS.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Let's not forget SUicide Squad didn't have a potential to face a 100 ow opener in its 3rd and 4th weekends.

I think that's something to take into consideration going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

Let's not forget SUicide Squad didn't have a potential to face a 100 ow opener in its 3rd and 4th weekends.

I think that's something to take into consideration going forward.

Beauty and the Beast had one of its smaller drops when Fast and Furious part 8 opened.

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Beauty and the Beast had one of its smaller drops when Fast and Furious part 8 opened.

Ok so that's good for one of the two weekends.

Edited by Brainiac5