Finnick

Tuesday Numbers : GOTG2 12.10M | FF8: 0.85M | HTBLL:0.58M

4 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

We all know that as I said before we don't talk about exchange rates for other films so we shouldn't for GOTGv2 

We did for all the time, everything I predicted that Guardian 2 would have a hard time to improve over Guardian 1 significantly worldwide, was by pointing out that Guardian 1 was released in august 2014, just before the exchange rate drop went really big, Guardian 1 performance would have been significantly lower with an october 2014 exchange rate, instead of August.

Everyone take it into account for every movie with big oversea BO, all of them.

It is useless to talk about exchange rate when comparing OS result of movie released with similar OS/ and DBO/WW ratio obviously.

• Like 3

I know this is said every week, but Cheap Tuesdays have really become a huge force in the past year. Dramatic expansion in number of theaters offering them and it's become a go to day for attending movies.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

No we are not gonna take Exchange rates into consideration.

Speak for yourself. 

If you have issues with the factors some take into consideration with *certain* movies (as if we don't know which), maybe the thing to do is raise that issue during the relevant discussions. 

The solution certainly isn't to try and dumb down discussions where this is relevant, and argue for ignorance.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Speak for yourself. 

If you have issues with the factors some take into consideration with *certain* movies (as if we don't know which), maybe the thing to do is raise that issue during the relevant discussions. 

The solution certainly isn't to try and dumb down discussions where this is relevant, and argue for ignorance.

So I'm arguing for ignorance?

If me saying 'we don't take Exchange rates into consideration for other films...'

is dumbing something down the bias is truly real around here.

like I said in my last post I'm leaving it along..

Edited by Brainiac5

41 minutes ago, Barnack said:

We did for all the time, everything I predicted that Guardian 2 would have a hard time to improve over Guardian 1 significantly worldwide, was by pointing out that Guardian 1 was released in august 2014, just before the exchange rate drop went really big, Guardian 1 performance would have been significantly lower with an october 2014 exchange rate, instead of August.

Everyone take it into account for every movie with big oversea BO, all of them.

It is useless to talk about exchange rate when comparing OS result of movie released with similar OS/ and DBO/WW ratio obviously.

I know it's a factor to consider.

I never go into a lot of threads around here and I only mentioned the exchange rates when someone else did.

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

So I'm arguing for ignorance?

If me saying 'we don't take Exchange rates into consideration for other films...'

is dumbing something down the bias is truly real around here.

like I said in my last post I'm leaving it along..

You're just wrong, as people have been trying to point out, because I have seen quite a bit of discussion around exchange rates hurting overseas performances for films, particularly post-Brexit. It's not as if this has only suddenly come up now with Guardians. Perhaps you haven't been around to see or be part of these discussions. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Yeah,when it suits your arguments.

But ok I'm leaving it along

Youre being obtuse.

• Like 2

We discuss Exchange rates all the time.  The International Section is filled with posts about them.  There's an entire topic dedicated to Adjusting Exchange rates for top WW grossers

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/18043-adjusting-exchange-rates-first-post-updated-with-jasons-new-list

@Jason has generously constructed a master table breaking them down and adding them up

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/18043-adjusting-exchange-rates-first-post-updated-with-jasons-new-list/?page=7#comment-2644422

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

You're just wrong, as people have been trying to point out, because I have seen quite a bit of discussion around exchange rates hurting overseas performances for films, particularly post-Brexit. It's not as if this has only suddenly come up now with Guardians. Perhaps you haven't been around to see or be part of these discussions. 

Peace,

Mike

This is actually the first time I ever seen a talk about Exchange rates in any of the weekday numbers threads.

It may be true about that thread about Exchange rates but honestly this is the first time I ever heard of it.

7 hours ago, baumer said:

Youre being obtuse.

You surely know how to keep an argument going don't you?

Let me quote myself here,

"I'm leaving it alone".

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 1

$8.1 million

$7.8 million

$17.5 million

$28.7 million

$21.6 million

$67.8 million 2nd weekend (-53.5% drop, $252.1 million 10-day total)

If you subtract previews, that would be around a 47.5%-48% 2nd weekend drop.

Since it's held better than Civil War so far, $65-70 million 2nd weekend wouldn't be surprising, given Mother's Day might give it a sub-20% drop on Sunday.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm going to be a little bit optimistic and say that Guardians does 8.7 for Wednesday.

18 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Going pessimistic with $7.8M

Split the difference and you have 8.25 (-32%) :)

• Like 4