Plain Old Tele

Alien: Covenant (2017)

Alien: Covenant (2017)  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

7 hours ago, CJohn said:

When Fassbender kissed Fassbender I literally imploded. Greatest scene in the history of film-making. 

James Franco was incredible as well. I never saw anyone burning so well while sleeping and after that floating into space with such magnificence. 

@Jayhawk and I were thinking about James Franco's appearance but we're pretty sure he was still grinning like a goofy high motherfucker as he was burning up which made us laugh

• Like 3

When Fass was teaching Fass how to play the instrument, it was overtly sexual.  That was pretty funny.  Right down to using a phrase like, "I'll finger it for you."  Wtf Ridley lol.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
22 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I was thinking of Life a lot during this film. Alien's influence on Life is so transparently obvious that it's hard not to compare Life with an Alien sequel, and this film goes right just about everywhere that Life falters. I guess it's the difference between having a pro like Ridley Scott calling the shots, as opposed to a relative novice like Daniel Espinosa.

Life is a better film than Alien Covenant. The character IQs were the same but at least Life had that one intense scene whereas Alien Covenant had none.

22 hours ago, jandrew said:

Yeah, I don't know. I wanted more Alien and less Prometheus. It wasn't a bad movie at all. It was gorgeous and had great atmosphere. The characters were underdeveloped, but I still enjoyed their banter. Speaking of, they inexplicably cut an entire scene of all of them together bantering and I'm not sure why? It would've added to the development. Anyway:

David being the villain was dumb. I honestly wish we would've kept their origin ambiguous. I would've preferred David doing what he did because he was tired of being alone or wanted to get back to Earth or whatever, not because he wants to play God. Didn't see the need for it. Speaking of God, the captain, Bishop? The whole point of his character is to have someone among the cast who is a person of strong faith. Well 1. they never show us this. He never mentions God or prays or speaks strongly about it or anything. And 2. this is never expanded on. There should've been a heavy faith clash between him and one of the atheist characters. That's the whole point of him. 

Daniels was good, but her sole purpose was to be Ripley 3.0. Well she wasn't given much to do and never had a chance to reach those heights. Her climax was an obvious homage to the Ripley robot suit fight from Aliens, but it came and went so quick. Tennessee was awesome, but he wasn't given much to do either. Honestly, none of these guys were given much to do. Every character was written for a specific purpose and that was it. The whole point of sexy Callie Hernandez and Jussie Smollett being left on the ship is so they could have sex and get killed. They served no other purpose. Nothing and no one wasn't expanded on. Hell, after the "log cabin" scene, Daniels never thinks about or mentions her husband again. He died just because shes the "lead" and we need to feel something for her. Same with Tennessee. He was sad over his wife's death, but his demeanor didn't change.

My biggest question was why the hell did that engineer blue guy drink the black goo in Prometheus? Never got that answer. And while the engineer city was cool, it was still confusing. So they created us? How so? Who created them? Why don't we look like them and how are we different? Is the blue guy directly related to them or was he a descendant? How is their civilization so advanced yet so primitive? How exactly did David and Shaw know about it?

They made stupid decisions, but not as stupid as you'd think. Like Maggie? trapping Mrs Orem and ole boy. She was panicked. Yeah it was a bitch move, but understandable. Shooting at gas tanks is also stupid, but if that situation was really happening and an eyeless murder squid was chasing you, would you take the time to run out or just freeze and lay heavy suppressive fire? We'd all do the latter. On the flip side, Mr. Orem investigating the egg, now that was stupid. He should've said "no I'm fine David" and David blindside attack him with the facehugger or something. He had zero reason to trust David, and after seeing the wiggling, shouldve stepped away.

The shower sex scene had more potential. The Xenomorphs were cool and it was cool to introduce a white one (diversity), but as someone else said, now it feels more like nostalgia. And other than the scene when Tennessee comes to save the day, all the scenes with the xenos went by too quick to really savor it.

It wasn't a bad movie at all and I was never really bored (though the David/Walter scenes were a little of a snooze), but I wanted more Alien horror. I didnt mind the Prometheusness, but I just don't like how some of it was handled ie evil David, not learning the goo, seeing nothing from Shaw, them not questioning the giant ass ship, etc. 

The David/Walter twist also. It was too obvious. If we had to go down that route, it would've been better if they had just showed us him killing Walter, while still keeping Daniels and Tennessee oblivious, rather than making you sit and anticipate something you already know.

I guess I'll go with a C. I'll watch it again at some point, but I'm disappointed. Wanted more expanded characters, longer xeno tension, less God David, and a definitive answer to the black goo waterfall suicide.

Ps they were bold with that early abortion scene. Was not expecting that at all.

Pss "I'll do the fingering", lol.

1) They probably cut it for time. But anyways, I think the entire opening sequence should have been redone to better introduce the characters (half the the crew I was like "wait who are they again?" when they showed up) or just cut the malfunction. There is no reason they couldn't have picked the Engineer planet to colonize rather than having a rather convenient sequence where they need to fix repairs due to a random space storm and as the guy heads back to the ship he just happens to pick up the signal.

2) I don't mind David turning heel 'cause Fassbender can sell it but did they have to make him SUPER pretentious? I'm happy there wasn't a clash between the religious captain and atheism. That would have turned the film's pretentious levels to unbearable levels. Seriously it's fine to have a theme and it's fine if characters discuss it in some aspects but like the first two Alien movies, they didn't discuss the theme. It was there in the background.

3) I agree that Daniels seemed to forget her husband after a while but yeah. In Alien, Aliens, and even Alien 3, most of the characters feel real. In this one, most of them were forgettable.

4) My question on the engineer city is why did they all stop and wave at the incoming ship? Like, people only stop and wave if it's rare but they've been a spacefearing species for longer than humans? I don't know.

5) The Captain should have definitely not looked inside the egg. HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SUSPICIOUS OF DAVID DURING THAT WHOLE SCENE. Also Maggie panicked sure but it also upset me not because it was a bitch move but because she was like "quarantine" AFTER BLOOD LANDED ON HER FACE. Like you broke quarantine when you left the room.

I agree with a C.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Life is a better film than Alien Covenant. The character IQs were the same but at least Life had that one intense scene whereas Alien Covenant had none.

1) They probably cut it for time. But anyways, I think the entire opening sequence should have been redone to better introduce the characters (half the the crew I was like "wait who are they again?" when they showed up) or just cut the malfunction. There is no reason they couldn't have picked the Engineer planet to colonize rather than having a rather convenient sequence where they need to fix repairs due to a random space storm and as the guy heads back to the ship he just happens to pick up the signal.

2) I don't mind David turning heel 'cause Fassbender can sell it but did they have to make him SUPER pretentious? I'm happy there wasn't a clash between the religious captain and atheism. That would have turned the film's pretentious levels to unbearable levels. Seriously it's fine to have a theme and it's fine if characters discuss it in some aspects but like the first two Alien movies, they didn't discuss the theme. It was there in the background.

3) I agree that Daniels seemed to forget her husband after a while but yeah. In Alien, Aliens, and even Alien 3, most of the characters feel real. In this one, most of them were forgettable.

4) My question on the engineer city is why did they all stop and wave at the incoming ship? Like, people only stop and wave if it's rare but they've been a spacefearing species for longer than humans? I don't know.

5) The Captain should have definitely not looked inside the egg. HE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SUSPICIOUS OF DAVID DURING THAT WHOLE SCENE. Also Maggie panicked sure but it also upset me not because it was a bitch move but because she was like "quarantine" AFTER BLOOD LANDED ON HER FACE. Like you broke quarantine when you left the room.

I agree with a C.

1. They didn't pick the Engineer planet because their destination was already scouted and deemed safe.

2. David was always a pretentious character. Dude was quoting Lawrence of Arabia in Prometheus @Tele Came Back :lol: 

3. I disagree, but I suppose this is a matter of subjective opinion.

4. This feels incredibly nitpicky. Maybe they assumed David was there to help? Maybe there just wasn't enough they could do?

5. It's pretty well established that Oram is a dumbass. He's the whole reason the Covenant is even on the planet. 

• Community Manager
Just now, WrathOfHan said:

1. They didn't pick the Engineer planet because their destination was already scouted and deemed safe.

2. David was always a pretentious character. Dude was quoting Lawrence of Arabia in Prometheus @Tele Came Back :lol: 

3. I disagree, but I suppose this is a matter of subjective opinion.

4. This feels incredibly nitpicky. Maybe they assumed David was there to help? Maybe there just wasn't enough they could do?

5. It's pretty well established that Oram is a dumbass. He's the whole reason the Covenant is even on the planet. 

1) So was the colony in Aliens. Also they didn't personally scout the planet I believe-they just scanned it and mapped out the terrain. Could have easily missed a dead civilization.

2) He wasn't as pretentious in Prometheus.

4) It goes into smart worldbuilding. Nitpicky yes but it took me out of the film entirely. Why would they assume David was there to help? The whole sequence was poorly executed.

5) Nah the whole crew pressuring him is part of the reason. That and a random storm that knocked them out.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Sure about that? Oram was kind of leading the charge.

Yeah I'm pretty sure about that. Nobody wanted to go back in the pods. The film was pretty clear about this. :lol:

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, CJohn said:

How does everyone feel about Scott writing Aliens out of canon? Because at this point he is very close to doing so.

Trying to Last Stand the movie? Only instead of replacing a movie fans didn't like with good movies, he's replacing a beloved masterpiece with sub-par films?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

How does everyone feel about Scott writing Aliens out of canon? Because at this point he is very close to doing so.

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

How?

Yeah, how? Just because David is going to create a queen doesn't necessarily negate Aliens.

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

How?

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, how? Just because David is going to create a queen doesn't necessarily negate Aliens.

At this point Aliens barely works at all with the things that happen in Prometheus and Covenant, and I don't think Scott really gives a shit about it, he just wants to connect it with Alien.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

At this point Aliens barely works at all with the things that happen in Prometheus and Covenant, and I don't think Scott really gives a shit about it, he just wants to connect it with Alien.

How. Aliens takes place 70 or more years after these new movies and Aliens involves the ship from the first movie 

Edited by John Marston

17 minutes ago, John Marston said:

How. Aliens takes place 70 or more years after these new movies and Aliens involves the ship from the first movie 

the alien queen man how did the alien queen come to be that like needs to be explained man because big bad alien queen 

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Shaw and David were flying an Engineers ship that was left over on the planet from Prometheus. They thought it was one of their own.

An entertainingly gory ride filled with great special effects and many moments of suspense, even if it feels like Ridley Scott is treading familiar territory most of the time. The cast (including Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup, Danny McBride in an unusually non-comedic role) are all fine in their roles, but Michael Fassbender runs off with the film like he did in Prometheus (which I actually liked slightly more than this). B