Plain Old Tele

Alien: Covenant (2017)

Alien: Covenant (2017)  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• Community Manager
20 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Shaw and David were flying an Engineers ship that was left over on the planet from Prometheus. They thought it was one of their own.

Missed the point of my question. Or what do you stop and wave every time you see an airplane? :lol:

It's pretty good for the most part, with a few notable things that bugged me.

Namely that Billy Crudup didn't blow David away the second it became super obvious to him that David was clearly not on the up-and-up

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Missed the point of my question. Or what do you stop and wave every time you see an airplane? :lol:

No I got it. I just didn't have a problem with it as much as you I guess. No I don't but we know very little about The Engineer race in these movies so who knows what they do. They might have been waiting for something.

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

I'm guessing by their reaction that this was a long-awaited return of a long-lost thought to be gone sentinel or something. Just the vibe I got from the massive excited crowd and "elders."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matrix4You said:

What was up with the scene....

Hide contents

near the beginning when Walter takes a human embryo out of storage and puts it in a jar right before the neutrino storm hits...

Seemed straightforward. The embryo probably wasn't viable anymore.

How to not enjoy this movie: watch Aliens for the very first time the night before. 

What a contrast in effective action set-pieces, tension, excitement, character, plot etc... Fassbender was good tho. 

Edited by Dan9
  • Like 3

Even if they had lighting fast metabolisms to grow as quickly as they do in this movie (busts out of dude's chest and literally 20 minutes later it's gotta be well over 100lbs), these aliens weren't eating nearly enough to get that big. 

And why does David consider them perfect anyway, to me they just seems like super effective predators

6/10. Better then Prometheus but I feel like if Ridley just did this as Prometheus 2 without the baggage of Xenos ((And giving a disappointing origin to one of the most iconic movie monsters)) it would've been better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mulder said:

6/10. Better then Prometheus but I feel like if Ridley just did this as Prometheus 2 without the baggage of Xenos ((And giving a disappointing origin to one of the most iconic movie monsters)) it would've been better.

I actually thought about this and I'd say the reverse. Get rid of the Prometheus elements and just have it be a colony ship horror story of being infected with Xenos. The emotional core of couples being broken by something so horrifying was the single best part of the movie. 

On 5/21/2017 at 5:12 PM, 4815162342 said:

Namely that Billy Crudup didn't blow David away the second it became super obvious to him that David was clearly not on the up-and-up

They replaced the idiots from Prometheus with the most gullible people on planet earth in this movie. Billy Crudup and Waterston both had a number of opportunities to end David, and the ending twist was so telegraphed and not shocking you would expect Daniels to know its coming. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They replaced the idiots from Prometheus with the most gullible people on planet earth in this movie. Billy Crudup and Waterston both had a number of opportunities to end David, and the ending twist was so telegraphed and not shocking you would expect Daniels to know its coming. 

When was Daniels in contact with David where she had an opportunity to kill him? Oram is a dumb fuck and the movie establishes that well, but Walter came in to save her and told her to escape. 

• Like 1

I loved the first half, but the final hour or so kind of ruined it for me. From the halfway point onward, Scott succumbs to the same narrative pratfalls that derailed Prometheus, setting up contrived situations that rely on character stupidity to move the plot along. The final 30 minutes were particularly difficult for me to enjoy, with Scott ruining an exciting battle by throwing in a cheap cut-away for franchise-continuation purposes and incorporating an overdone horror movie trope (shower sex scene gone wrong) that would have been more effective in a film that didn't take itself so seriously. On the positive side, I did feel that it was an improvement over Prometheus overall (on account of the promising start) and am holding out hope that future installments can build off of its strengths.

C+ 

Edited by GeneralKong
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 7:12 PM, 4815162342 said:

Yeah, I wasn't buying how any of the characters reacted to David.  The dude's telling you about how he's been experimenting and creating these aliens and you just listen to him (as well as stick your face in the Alien egg, like really?  Nobody is that stupid or gullible).

I know it's rather typical for characters to make idiotic decisions in horror films, but that doesn't make it any less cringe worthy.

• Like 1

That moment wasn't believable because only a few minutes ago, Oram was ready to shoot David full of holes having caught him in a lie. Why would he not just follow him, but listen to his instructions? 

• Like 2

Grade: B-

My grade is on my first viewing and honestly, several days after absorbing it I may downgrade it upon a second viewing.

I totally agree with those making comparisons to TFA. Scott very clearly is doing an homage to his own film, the pacing, sets, character template etc.

Now, that doesn't equate to a bad thing. I felt TFA did it very effectively. 

I agree with many points of criticism I've seen in the 3+ pages ahead of me.

I could see the ending coming from mid-way 2nd act once David was shown. I had ZERO tension/drama as "Walter" closed the cryopod on Daniels. 

This is the ultimate what came first situation. Why if the spores are capable of infecting a host are the facehuggers and egg pods even needed? I know why, they are check boxes in the lore and Scott/Fox expects that WE expect to see them. Also, regarding the spores, didn't Prometheus tell us the Engineers used the same spore to create humanity? Are we essentially cousins to the Xenomorph? Why do we need a queen to lay egg pods at all? I suppose we could say the spores are planet locked and the egg is a way to get the species more mobile, that's my best internal explanation. 

So David has spent 10yrs "perfecting" the xenomorph and cross breeding it...in the 22nd century. The Alien as we know it doesn't exist until now. That totally invalidates Predator 2(Alien skull on Predator ship in 20th century) and the lore established in AvP where it's stated the Aliens and Predators have been at odds for centuries. This is what actually annoys me the most is that no one took a look at the screenplay and brought this up as it relates to the larger picture.

At this point I will not be shocked to learn that the Predator alien species is just another aberrational evolution of the Engineers spores.

• Like 2