Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

Just now, Ohana said:

I'm amazed that WB gave Guy Richie 175M for this unnecessary movie

Let's see how he'll ruin Aladdin in 2019.

I suspect the budget went up due to the numerous reshoots, it was meant to come out last year then got moved three times!

• Like 1

I'm not sure Snatched, even with Mother's Day, can hit $20M.  I think it will draw as well as King Arthur on Mother's Day - neither hits the demo on the nose.  I mean, how many kids want to (or can) sit with mom in a raunchy comedy, except maybe adult women with even older moms...but even then, those moms, like mine, probably have little interest (it's outside usual 50+ cinema interest:), so it's not like I could take my mom even if I was interested, and I sure can't take my kids, either.  Even if it was great, it's a movie that becomes one without an appropriate audience this weekend.  This is the type of movie that's a Mom's Night Out movie, not a Mother's Day weekend movie (where moms are spending it with their families)...  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Disney will need to keep Guy Ritchie on a very short leash for Aladdin. 

He probably won't have much creative freedom to begin with. They probably chose him because he's shown he can work with big budgets and his well-received movies outweigh his duds. This just never sounded like a promising project from the beginning.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jandrew said:

Am I the only one not surprised at either movie?

I'm not surprised that the #s are low, I just didn't think they would be sub-20m

Edited by franfar

9 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Just let both combined make over $40 million.

I am getting killed in the summer game.

Don't say I didn't say I didn't warn ya  @baumer

Image result for taylor swift don't say gif

Good thing I passed because if I had to answer, I'd have put yes.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

Just now, miketheavenger said:

Clearly a bad weekend for the new releases. Hopefully Guardians Vol. 2 will benefit from that. At least next week we have Alien: Covenant, which should do well.

Covenant has good reviews, but the word from those who has seen it OS is not good.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He probably won't have much creative freedom to begin with. They probably chose him because he's shown he can work with big budgets and his well-received movies outweigh his duds. This just never sounded like a promising project from the beginning.

Warner Bros thought he could do to King Arthur what he did with Sherlock Holmes not realising his style wasn't suitable. I think they got cold feet due to the failure of both The Man from UNCLE and Joe Wright's Pan hence the reshoots and multiple release date moves. 

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm not sure Snatched, even with Mother's Day, can hit $20M.  I think it will draw as well as King Arthur on Mother's Day - neither hits the demo on the nose.  I mean, how many kids want to (or can) sit with mom in a raunchy comedy, except maybe adult women with even older moms...but even then, those moms, like mine, probably have little interest (it's outside usual 50+ cinema interest:), so it's not like I could take my mom even if I was interested, and I sure can't take my kids, either.  Even if it was great, it's a movie that becomes one without an appropriate audience this weekend.  This is the type of movie that's a Mom's Night Out movie, not a Mother's Day weekend movie (where moms are spending it with their families)...  

This is the demo. "Adult" meaning 20+, "even older moms" meaning 45-55 or so. Don't count them out.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

If Alien Covenant follows Australia, we're going to get an opening anywhere from 45-55M. I think surpassing Prometheus is still on the table because of Memorial Day, but WOM is going to be divisive.

OH    that seems a lot.  enough to pass 100M. :insane:

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Warner Bros thought he could do to King Arthur what he did with Sherlock Holmes not realising his style wasn't suitable. I think they got cold feet due to the failure of both The Man from UNCLE and Joe Wright's Pan hence the reshoots and multiple release date moves. 

Considering they spent a huge amount on KA anyway, wouldn't they have managed SHERLOCK 3 with the same budget?

SHERLOCK 3 with 200m budget seems less riskier than KA with 175m.

• Like 1