Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

Man, I've had Snatched pegged for about $18M for a while now but ended up raising it this week. Always knew this weekend was a stinker.

I'm very curious to see the Fri # for Guardians.

Edited by nomyth

2 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

They didn't green light KA at 175m.

I know...hindsight 20/20

Easy to lament now cause Guy's SH was a very good franchise imo.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Just now, Tele Came Back said:

This is the demo. "Adult" meaning 20+, "even older moms" meaning 45-55 or so. Don't count them out.

That's a really tiny demo...and in that demo, you also have to drop any moms who have kids younger than 18 or probably boys/young men or who want to hang out with dad, too.  That starts making this movie demo really tiny for the weekend.  Will that tiny demo show up in force - probably.  But does it even have $20M in it...I question that.

Maybe it does...(and BOGO all week has to have helped - no doubt, it's easier to dump $7/person vs $14/person for this movie)...but I don't think it does:)...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Considering they spent a huge amount on KA anyway, wouldn't they have managed SHERLOCK 3 with the same budget?

SHERLOCK 3 with 200m budget seems less riskier than KA with 175m.

I imagine WB wants to do Sherlock Holmes 3 but I believe they're having script issues. I don't know if it would do well as it's too long since the last film and RDJ likely will command a bigger paycheck.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I mean, how many kids want to (or can) sit with mom in a raunchy comedy, except maybe adult women with even older moms...but even then, those moms, like mine, probably have little interest (it's outside usual 50+ cinema interest:), so it's not like I could take my mom even if I was interested, and I sure can't take my kids, either.

Kids are not really the target for movies like that (and not a big part of ticket sales in general)

Like Tele said the target demo is mom over 50, with girls old enough to invite and drive their mom to theaters, not really kid that do not have money. It will probably be younger but close to a movie like Hot pursuit.

Hot pursuit:

46% of those shelling out for Hot Pursuit were over 50.

8 minutes ago, kitik said:

175 for this turkey is unbelievable.

Whoever approved that budget really should be worried about their job security.

A lot of 150m+ turkeys these days.

The BO is up just a few percent since 09. I wonder how much the total of all budgets in a year has gone up since then? Anyone?

The director of Snatch going up against Snatched.  What are the odds. 

Tarantino can fin8sh the trilogy with Snatches.

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's a really tiny demo...and in that demo,

20m is a really big opening weekend (the big movie star cut-off) for mid budget non franchise movie, I don't think it will reach it, but woman over 50 is not that small of a demo, 25% of the ticket sold last year were to people over 50, and has the demo get older woman become a large part of it (has they do in percentage of that population age), that is probably easy to grab that weekend.

Hot Pursuit did 14m, Mother day made 11m on a second weekend during mother day weekend, , I imagine we can expect a 13m to 17m opening for Snatched.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ohana said:

I'm amazed that WB gave Guy Richie 175M for this unnecessary movie

Let's see how he'll ruin Aladdin in 2019.

Uh no. Aladdin is going to be a gem, don't you dare say that my childhood is going to be ruined :/ :lol:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

20m is a really big opening weekend (the big movie star cut-off) for mid budget non franchise movie, I don't think it will reach it, but woman over 50 is not that small of a demo, 25% of the ticket sold last year were to people over 50, and has the demo get older woman become a large part of it (has they do in percentage of that population age), that is probably easy to grab that weekend.

Hot Pursuit did 14m, Mother day made 11m on a second weekend during mother day weekend, , I imagine we can expect a 13m to 17m opening for Snatched.

That's my point - it probably won't hit $20M.  You agree.  I predicted last week $14.8M...right between your numbers:)...

13 minutes ago, kitik said:

175 for this turkey is unbelievable.

Whoever approved that budget really should be worried about their job security.

They didn't. I'm sure the initial budget was in the low 100s. But they realized it need some extensive re-shoots and ended up ballooning the budget. Pretty sure they new this was gonna end up being a stinker box office wise. 

1 minute ago, junkshop36 said:

They didn't. I'm sure the initial budget was in the low 100s. But they realized it need some extensive re-shoots and ended up ballooning the budget. Pretty sure they new this was gonna end up being a stinker box office wise. 

So you end up spending more money as a result? 

You know, these are the best weekend threads IMO (except for Jungle Book and JW) where they aren't boring as shit, but they also aren't so busy that they get de-railed every few seconds.

• Like 3

Ugh. I kinda wish that King Arthur got the Tarzan treatment of "if this flops, Tsujihara is out". I mean, they both have pretty much the same subject and are a similar concept (a remake of an old tale). Mid teens for a movie like this is pretty piss poor.

I still think Snatched has 20M in sights due to Saturday and Sunday... but ouch at that number too.

GOTG V2 has nothing to worry about.

1 hour ago, POTUS said:

A lot of 150m+ turkeys these days.

The BO is up just a few percent since 09. I wonder how much the total of all budgets in a year has gone up since then? Anyone?

?

2016 Box office

11.4 billion domestic + 27.2 billion = 38.6b

10.6 billion domestic + 18.8 billion = 29.4b

The box office went up by 32% since 2009. That is considerable.

Has for all budgets, studios are releasing less movie now, 158 studio movies in 2009 vs 136 in 2016

If we take one studio in particular, WB

2009 cost of revenue: (7,805), operating income: 1,084

2016 cost of revenue: (9,266), operating income: 1,734

Adjusted for inflation 

2009: cost of revenue for WB 8,895, 4% lower than in 2016

Because they separate income between tv and movies in their annual report, but not the expense (that how impossible to have even a gross idea on movie budget it get), I don't think anyone except them have an idea on the total cost of a studio slate (Except for Liongates on other smaller studio that are public and not private entity of a public conglomerate).

But the TV+Movies studio cost didn't grow that much faster than inflation, while box office did grew way faster, if the dvd market would not have collapsed it would be a golden age in profitability right now.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

I wouldn't write off $20M for either film based on those Thursday previews. Snatched will have a very strong IM thanks to Mother's Day, and that figure is about what I would expect if KA was going to make $20M for the weekend.

That's, of course, still completely horrendous for the latter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Just let both combined make over $40 million.

I am getting killed in the summer game.

It's okay.  You'll have your big comeback when Dunkirk opens to 213m

• Like 5