Plain Old Tele

BOT: THE REVISITING -- now up, 1987! MINI-EXTENSION, deadline is tonight, June 25!

And off we go again. This time, we take on the 30th anniversary of 1987 -- a time before many of you were even born.

Here is the top 20 at the box-office that year (oh, how times have changed):

1. Three Men and a Baby

2. Fatal Attraction

3. Beverly Hills Cop II

4. Good Morning, Vietnam

5. Moonstruck

6. The Untouchables

7. The Secret of My Success

8. Stakeout

9. Lethal Weapon

10. The Witches of Eastwick

11. Dirty Dancing

12. Predator

13. Throw Momma From the Train

14. Dragnet

15. La Bamba

16. RoboCop

17. Outrageous Fortune

18. Broadcast News

19. The Living Daylights

20. Eddie Murphy Raw

At the Academy Awards, here were the big winners:

The Last Emperor (9 wins, Best Pic, Best Dir, Best Adapted Script)

Moonstruck (Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Script)

Wall Street (Best Actor)

The Untouchables (Best Supporting Actor)

Now taking FYC campaigns and discussion!

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

Does Raw count? Isn't it basically a Stand Up performance?

Also all the info I can find suggests that Brave Little Toaster is a 1987 release. but BOM has no info on it. 

RAW had a major theatrical release. It doesn't really matter that it was just a theatrical performance -- it counts just as if it was a concert film.

BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER was released in July 1987, but I don't know why BOM doesn't have any data on it.

• Like 2

The highest ranked movies from They Shoot Pictures, Don't They (the 1,000 most critically acclaimed movies of all time)

243 - Wings of Desire

341 - Where Is the Friend's Home?

401 - The Dead

505 - Withnail & I

579 - Full Metal Jacket

596 - Raising Arizona

620 - Brightness

640 - Evil Dead II

645 - The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On

693 - RoboCop

694 - Red Sorghum

766 - Au revoir les enfants

808 - The Princess Bride

821 - The Last Emperor

829 - Dust in the Wind

906 - Near Dark

Other cool cult favorites worth attention: Angel Heart (seriously watch this it's dynamite), House of Games, Matewan. And, of course, the glorious debut of a certain New Zealander who would later become a three-time Oscar winner and one of the biggest living directors

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 5

Withnail & I is simultaneously among the funniest and the most bittersweet movies I've ever seen. That, Angel Heart and The Dead are my top 3. 

And if you haven't seen Evil Dead II, Robocop and Raising Arizona (and Bad Taste) you really have no excuse not to catch up with them now

• Like 1

I'm going to vote Rutger hauer's Wanted Dead or Alive at number one just so that I can maybe hopefully ensure that it makes the list somehow. Seeing Gene Simmons play an Arab terrorist that gets his head blown off at the end when Rutger Hauer says "f*** the bonus" and then pulls the pin on the grenade, you don't see cool lines like that in movies anymore these days. :sparta:

• Like 1

Haven't seen that many from 1987. A top 15 will do because I've only rated 18 movies 3,5< stars on letterbox. 

1. Babette's Feast -- A+ (Sustained beauty and originality; produced with precision, executed in a unique way)

2. Robocop -- A (Original idea/-s, executed with great skill and ambition)
  3. Full Metal Jacket -- A
  4. (EDIT:) Raising Arizona -- A (HOW COULD I FORGET... LOL)
  5. Wings of Desire -- A

6. Evil Dead II -- A- (Very good! Conventionally precise and flawless OR unusual story executed in a solid but also original way)
  7. Spaceballs -- A-
  8. The Last Emperor -- A-
  9. Lethal Weapn -- A-
  10. The Untouchables -- A-
  11. 84 Charing Cross Road -- A-
  12. Law of Desire -- A-

13. Wall Street -- B+ (Conventionally good or Flawed but original)
  14. Witches of Eastwick -- B+
  15. Predator -- B+
  16. Empire of the Sun -- B+

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 2

Radio Days is one of Woody's most beautiful and underrated. Carpenter's Prince of Darkness is far from his best but still worth the time. Also for anyone interested there's the terrific Soviet adaptation of And Then There Were None that faithfully recreates the novel's grim atmosphere and also preserves the original ending. Last I checked the entire movie was on YouTube with english subs. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Radio Days is one of Woody's most beautiful and underrated. Carpenter's Prince of Darkness is far from his best but still worth the time. Also for anyone interested there's the terrific Soviet adaptation of And Then There Were None that faithfully recreates the novel's grim atmosphere and also preserves the original ending. Last I checked the entire movie was on YouTube with english subs. 

How old are you?
I like what you're saying even if I haven't seen 3/4 of those you've mentioned. 
True great american film is art that reaches and speaks beyond/over the mexican wall.