Plain Old Tele

Sunshine, Light, and Joy -- Bring Fun to the Forums

So you guys have probably now seen the annoying announcement which popped up and needed to get dismissed. I'm re-posting the contents of it here, not just to keep it available as a reminder but also to provide a public space to talk about it. We'll pin this for awhile so that everyone has a chance to see it and comment (if they want).

---

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

• Like 58
  • Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 1

I personally think this is a great idea. That way we don't have twenty pages talking about who is box office poison, who is a draw in like every single movie thread. We don't have twenty pages discussing how an actor/actress/director needs to behave in order to not be a PR disaster. We don't have 25+ pages of the same people telling us that a film looks awful to them therefore its definitely going to bomb. The worst are those who give their opinion on a film, give it a grade and they didn't even watch it! 

If you don't like a certain actor/actress/director then why are you in a thread about a movie starring them or directed by them? If you don't think a certain film looks good then why are you constantly in that thread talking about said movie?  :thinking:

State your opinion about said movie and be on your way. It's not that hard. 

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects.

CJohn can't bitch about Lionsgate anymore! :P

In all seriousness, I think a discussion of why a studio hasn't been doing so well is fine but I think it's tiresome to see members troll on films made by a studio like Warner Bros without backing up their argument

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 5

Me haz a thought :):

Maybe just like there are warning points, there could be rewards for consistently good behavior.

For eg:

Having no warning points for x months automatically adds your name to a raffle where a random pick will get an account upgrade or a few random picks will get smaller prizes (more likes), etc.

Maybe folks can vote for the best poster (not themselves) every x months.

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Me haz a thought :):

Maybe just like there are warning points, there could be rewards for consistently good behavior.

For eg:

Having no warning points for x months automatically adds your name to a raffle where a random pick will get an account upgrade or a few random picks will get smaller prizes (more likes), etc.

Maybe folks can vote for the best poster (not themselves) every x months.

I don't think turning it into a competition is going to help much tho

I agree with most of this.  I don't think people should consistently flood a thread with why they think a movie or the cast/crew of the movie sucks.

But I hope this doesn't mean you aren't allowed to post a "pessimistic" BO prediction, mention why you think something in the movie isn't going to work well for the BO, or only have praise for the movie coming from your posts.  I think people should be able to post their honest opinion of something in a thread, but not go overboard on it (which does happen a lot).

Im pretty sure that's what the post meant though.

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I agree with most of this.  I don't think people should consistently flood a thread with why they think a movie or the cast/crew of the movie sucks.

But I hope this doesn't mean you aren't allowed to post a "pessimistic" BO prediction, mention why you think something in the movie isn't going to work well for the BO, or only have praise for the movie coming from your posts.  I think people should be able to post their honest opinion of something in a thread, but not go overboard on it (which does happen a lot).

Of course, feel free to say why you think a movie will/won't work, why you like or hate director/actor X etc. We aren't censoring people. Just saying that every single comment need not be a retread every single day. Even when posting completely negative in a thread, be respectful of other users. We have had people complain of cyberbullying as well, and not just new users - well established users here.

• Like 17

13 minutes ago, The Panda said:

But I hope this doesn't mean you aren't allowed to post a "pessimistic" BO prediction, mention why you think something in the movie isn't going to work well for the BO, or only have praise for the movie coming from your posts.

Of course not! :) We all are going to occasionally either hate a movie or feel that its box-office prospects are dubious, or think that the numbers it's doing aren't great. It's completely fine to say any and all of those things. It's more about how often and how consistently those points are made.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We have had people complain of cyberbullying as well, and not just new users - well established users here.

I'm glad you guys are finally going to look into @MrPink's rampage

• Like 10

Just now, grim22 said:

Of course, feel free to say why you think a movie will/won't work, why you like or hate director/actor X etc. We aren't censoring people. Just saying that every single comment need not be a retread every single day. Even when posting completely negative in a thread, be respectful of other users. We have had people complain of cyberbullying as well, and not just new users - well established users here.

Yeah, I do think there's a big problem when people go over the top on attacking a movie.  For example, when the Last Jedi trailer came out there were a few members that instead of just stating their opinion, they literally responded to every single positive comment (or argumentative comment against their side) telling them why they were wrong.  That was too much, and I know there have been threads where some members took it even farther.

I think it might be good to put a warning in the thread when things are going to far and then if somebody continues give them an actual warning.  Because I can see how this line may be a bit blurry to some on what's just posting your opinion, and what's getting aggressive and mean-spirited.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Agreed...but it's the way you post.  Saying "XX the 500th sequel is the suckiest thing ever and it's gonna bomb" isn't helpful analysis of the movie.  Like for this weekend, as a non Alien fan (since the 2 originals - the only ones I've seen), I'd love to know what would or would not draw someone back for these prequels.  Is the series played out or is it filling in the blanks?  Can it draw GA or will it only draw lifers in the concept?  Giving me reasons and not just negativity (or positivity) is what I love to see on the boards.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 75live said:

I'm waiting for the next announcement to deal with the crazy, over the top "positive" people too ;)   Then all will be complete :) 

Yeah, think about what happens if you enter the Avatar 2 thread and don't start your post with "Hail, Cameron!" :ph34r:

• Like 2