Plain Old Tele

Sunshine, Light, and Joy -- Bring Fun to the Forums

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

:kitschjob: 

It's okay boo, I'll be here for you ?

7 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

The post is NOT about silencing different viewpoints. It's about being against incessant and fairly baseless negativity. It's not rocket science

Right, just so everyone is clear we aren't saying you can't bash a movie and say it sucks. However what we're asking is for you to not ho into said thread daily and bash it. I mean, what's the point other than trolling at this point?

6 minutes ago, Sam said:

I learned to block out the noise by putting certain individuals on ignore or just scroll past posts of the usual suspects. Though lately, the juvenile pissing contests have gotten too excessive and invasive that it really requires extra effort to tune out. So both condolences and kudos to the mod team for dealing with those bullshit for us. 

For me, the fun of this forum came partly from discussing movies; and mostly from bantering, teasing and generally having fun with the familiar regulars. So with new rules/guidelines, hopefully, it'll keep our forum from descending into clusterfucks and discouraging good regular posters to contribute to the community. 

Exactly. I think we have had our funnest times on here when it was discussing numbers or even in silly bantering in good humor.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

That's not what it says in the OP, it directly goes after negative sentiment repetition. 

And I'm telling you that if people go to the other extreme and only be positive and shutting down any negative opinions expressed, that is also a problem.

• Like 7
Just now, Water Bottle said:

And I'm telling you that if people go to the other extreme and only be positive and shutting down any negative opinions expressed, that is also a problem.

And you know I agree with that 100% but Tele didn't really talk about that side in his premise. 

Imo to me personally, I sort of like a forum with some divergent and abnormal opinions that can cause controversy and heated debate...

But I dont think this is about making a PC, Sunshine and Rainbows friendly forum. 

• Like 2

I will be honest, I dont have much sympathy for people who think is a toxic place or a toxic forum.

This place is rather very very tame and controlled and that is for the best. 

That is because I used to be on a urban forum and video game forum lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Imo to me personally, I sort of like a forum with some divergent and abnormal opinions that can cause controversy and heated debate...

But I dont think this is about making a PC, Sunshine and Rainbows friendly forum. 

No, in fact I agree with you. I love debates with different opinions, as let's face it: if we all felt the same way this site would be really boring. I think what we're just asking is that we keep in mind of being respectful to others and their opinions (whether you understand them or not). You can say your peace about a movie, and even debate it with someone and that's awesome, it's what this site is about. For example, something like: 

"I really hated this movie, I felt that the plot really lagged in the first half of the movie and the was rushed the last ten minutes"  

vs.

"This movie is a fucking turd and a fucking waste of time. Piece of shit!"

The latter wouldn't break forums rules keep in mind, however constantly spamming negative reviews as such is what we're trying to avoid. It really serves no point and like you suggested, no debates. It's like arguing with a wall.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

No, in fact I agree with you. I love debates with different opinions, as let's face it: if we all felt the same way this site would be really boring. I think what we're just asking is that we keep in mind of being respectful to others and their opinions (whether you understand them or not). You can say your peace about a movie, and even debate it with someone and that's awesome, it's what this site is about. For example, something like: 

"I really hated this movie, I felt that the plot really lagged in the first half of the movie and the was rushed the last ten minutes"  

vs.

"This movie is a fucking turd and a fucking waste of time. Piece of shit!"

The latter wouldn't break forums rules keep in mind, however constantly spamming negative reviews as such is what we're trying to avoid. It really serves no point and like you suggested, no debates. It's like arguing with a wall.

Again I'd like this apply to praise that constantly goes over the top and makes dissenters feel like they aren't welcome to the discussion. 

If you like CBM's you need to accept there are superhero movies that get near universal praise (Logan),  ones that are divisive (Civil War), and ones that are almost universally bashed (BvS).

If you don't like CBM's, STAY OUT OF CBM THREADS AND CBM OPENING WEEKEND THREADS.

It's pretty simple, guys.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

That's not what it says in the OP, it directly goes after negative sentiment repetition. 

Perhaps because the negative repetition easily outweighs the overly positive repetition? And that there is a difference between genuine optimism by fans who contently overestimate the film they want to do well and trolling because you hate a franchise/actor?

We have taken action when the positive turns into trolling.  It happened with Avatar earlier this year.    

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If you like CBM's you need to accept there are superhero movies that get near universal praise (Logan),  ones that are divisive (Civil War), and ones that are almost universally bashed (BvS).

If you don't like CBM's, STAY OUT OF CBM THREADS AND CBM OPENING WEEKEND THREADS.

Yes it took a while for me to accept (got banned for it), that some  people liked Suicide Squad  :lol:

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

I personally feel bullied whenever your filter changes Wilderpeople to Hunt for Kiwi Smurfs.

:P

I think this is a good move though. Doesn't really feel like censorship to me.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

When it comes to super hero movies, I'm not gonna lie I have zero knowledge why there is so much animosity between the two (I mean, I don't understand why they just can't get along and apreciate one another). Those are the films that I know are a big source of negativity on both ends (those who troll and those who are over protective of their film even recieving a minor criticism).

Just now, AndyLL said:

Perhaps because the negative repetition easily outweighs the overly positive repetition? And that there is a difference between genuine optimism by fans who contently overestimate the film they want to do well and trolling because you hate a franchise/actor?

We have taken action when the positive turns into trolling.  It happened with Avatar earlier this year.    

Curious why trolling can't apply to someone who overly praises something especially if it's consensus not good but I largely get and agree with that. Everyone would prefer an upbeat atmosphere.