wileECoyote

Monday 5/15/2017 Numbers

49 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Beauty and the Beast is only down 10.6% from last Monday. If the rest of the week plays out strong like this, it could be at $495.5+ million by Thursday. 

And then even if it takes a harder hit this coming weekend (than usual - its last four weekends have been sub-30% drops) due to theatre loss and the inflated Mother's Day this past weekend and drops say 40-50%, it could be at about $498 million (or higher) by the end of this weekend. 

I could be misgauging if the Monday-to-Monday drop isn't indicative of the rest of the week, but nonetheless, Beauty is going to hit $500 million faster than I thought.

Peace,

Mike

I certainly hope so. :hi5:

@Matrix4You Agreed. Don't know what possessed them to put it on DVD so soon. 

Like I said in the other thread, 400M isn't impossible, but it needs an amazing hold this weekend. With the loss of most PLF screens and a harsher Sunday drop incoming, I can't see it happening. I think it'll finish between 360-380M.

• Like 2

I take it back. The fact that we are comparing these numbers now to Civil War's on its second week, that alone sounds impressive to me. How quickly it is catching up. It would blow my mind if this does another 3x or better. They did that impressive 3.53x once, they can always do it again. Now I'm blabbing/babbling.

OS is an entirely different story though.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HenryjRhetorics said:

Yeah. Almost had CW's # yesterday, off by about 50K.

I did a little loose arithmetic. At same point, CW's DOM is @ 301M + 107M the rest of its run for a 408 total. Going by this same rate, GOTG2 which currently sits @ 253M + 108M for the remainder should bring it to 361M. With better legs, it can collect around 10-15M more. But even with that too optimistic extra, it still won't bring its DOM anywhere near that 400M which is definitely off the table now.

360-380M is looking like the most realistic range at this point which is 10-15% better than the first. Not bad but not impressive either.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

No one in their right mind would predict a Guardians of the Galaxy movie or sequel to make close to 400 m a few years ago.

This is a huge win for Disney/Marvel anyway you slice it.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, HenryjRhetorics said:

Yeah. Almost had CW's # yesterday, off by about 50K.

I did a little loose arithmetic. At same point, CW's DOM is @ 301M + 107M the rest of its run for a 408 total. Going by this same rate, GOTG2 which currently sits @ 253M + 108M for the remainder should bring it to 361M. With better legs, it can collect around 10-15M more. But even with that too optimistic extra, it still won't bring its DOM anywhere near that 400M which is definitely off the table now.

360-380M is looking like the most realistic range at this point which is 10-15% better than the first. Not bad but not impressive either.

So a good shot at matching or passing the first one adjusted (364m).   It looks like it kept its audience.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iJackSparrow said:

That's completely nuts. Civil War started way higher than Guardians. $350m-$400m seems like a sure bet domestically.

It's not nuts at all.

Civil War had the worst multiplier out of *all* MCU movies thus far. A notoriously short-legged movie. 

24 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

So a good shot at matching or passing the first one adjusted (364m).   It looks like it kept its audience.

The original adjusts to $343M (based on CPI) and GV2 will certainly overtake that. 

Since it has now reached parity with Civil War in terms of daily numbers (and will almost certainly leap ahead of it from now on) then GV2 is guaranteed to at least add another $110M to its total. I would claim that $363M is now the bare minimum we can expect from GV2 to make in North America. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

The original adjusts to $343M (based on CPI) and GV2 will certainly overtake that. 

Since it has now reached parity with Civil War in terms of daily numbers (and will almost certainly leap ahead of it from now on) then GV2 is guaranteed to at least add another $110M to its total. I would claim that $363M is now the bare minimum we can expect from GV2 to make in North America. 

You shouldn't adjust movie tickets based on CPI, as they inflate at a different rate than our national inflation rate.  Box Office Mojo's adjuster is about the most accurate one you'll get, for movie tickets.

Edited by The Panda