kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

Just now, PRESIDENT BKB said:

Considering how GOTF Vol 2 is more of a feel good type of movie families can get onboard for, I'd be very surprised if this R-Rated Sci-Fi/Horror movie beat it this weekend..

Alien is going to be number one easily BKB

• Like 9

I predicted $40M for Alien (Prometheus was one of the more divisive movies of the last several years and this series has never been that big in the first place) so anything above that is great in my book.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Hey, scale wise Covenant is not that big.

@Tele Came Back

Just came back from Alien: Covenant and I must say that I thought it was pretty big. It's special effects are excellent and the sets and scenery are outstanding. 

• Like 6

No clue how right (or wrong) I'll be but looking at ticket sales at a few theatre's, I'm going to have another go at it and say

Wimpy Kid - $2.79M friday

Everything Everything - $4.07M friday

Alien Covenant - $16.83M fridayFriday

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I predicted $40M for Alien (Prometheus was one of the more divisive movies of the last several years and this series has never been that big in the first place) so anything above that is great in my book.

Actually, the original was in fact quite massive. It would adjust to $273M in today's money and was number 6 for 1979 (all domestic) I also have to note that very little separated the 6th movie from 2nd one (The Amityville Horror) during that year. 

Also, Aliens, was number 7 for 1986 and would adjust to around $200M today. 

So, yeah, I would say that the first two were pretty massive. 

Another thing. I just googled: "film in 1979" as well as "film in 1986" and in the first instance Alien was the first one to pop, and in the latter Aliens was the one. I'm not saying this is definitive, because maybe Google adjusts its results according to my search history, but there can be no denying the financial success and massive cultural impact of the first two installments. That's why we keep coming back to it after several underwhelming efforts. 

Edit: Also keep in mind that the North American population was almost one third less than what it is right now. 

Edited by PPZVGOS
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

@Tele Came Back

Just came back from Alien: Covenant and I must say that I thought it was pretty big. It's special effects are excellent and the sets and scenery are outstanding. 

Yep. The sheer rock faces around Milford Sound are roughly 1200M+ high. Very impressive area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Actually, Cameron now likes the first AVP, as do I.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/22405

I always liked the first AvP. The Saana Latham character should've been the Ripley of an AvP trilogy imo but AvP:Requiem had no carryover sadly, it was a sequel in name only. 

I feel A:C can still manage $40-$43m, enough to beat GotGv2 but I'm not confident. The crowd that relies on RT might balk at it's 67% and test any loyalty they had to the franchise. 

• Like 2

I don't know how I feel about Alien Covenant. Was it bad? No. Did it expand the universe and tie up loose ends? Yes. But did it properly satisfy my xeno murder spree craving? I'm not sure. I'm gonna have to sit on it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I always liked the first AvP. The Saana Latham character should've been the Ripley of an AvP trilogy imo but AvP:Requiem had no carryover sadly, it was a sequel in name only. 

I feel A:C can still manage $40-$43m, enough to beat GotGv2 but I'm not confident. The crowd that relies on RT might balk at it's 67% and test any loyalty they had to the franchise. 

It's now at 66%.

Wow, Snatched absolutely collapsed at my theater. The showing that just started only sold 16 seats.

Alien is selling great for its remaining two shows tonight.

Everything, Everything has picked up a lot from earlier; the showing in an hour is nearly sold out.

GOTG and Wimpy Kid are selling about equal to each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PPZVGOS said:

Actually, the original was in fact quite massive. It would adjust to $273M in today's money and was number 6 for 1979 (all domestic) I also have to note that very little separated the 6th movie from 2nd one (The Amityville Horror) during that year. 

Also, Aliens, was number 7 for 1986 and would adjust to around $200M today. 

So, yeah, I would say that the first two were pretty massive. 

Another thing. I just googled: "film in 1979" as well as "film in 1986" and in the first instance Alien was the first one to pop, and in the latter Aliens was the one. I'm not saying this is definitive, because maybe Google adjusts its results according to my search history, but there can be no denying the financial success and massive cultural impact of the first two installments. That's why we keep coming back to it after several underwhelming efforts. 

Edit: Also keep in mind that the North American population was almost one third less than what it is right now. 

Sorry but he's right. Alien really isn't that big today, its just well known. 200m adjusted is not what i'd consider 'massive', they were big and well remembered but they werent big enough to gurantee huge hits still to this day, its no wonder prometheus was bigger than covenant, the story and trailers were more accessible to non fans 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

Yeah, I always watch Alien, Aliens and AvP cause Saana really elevates the whole thing and sells friendship with the Predator. Skip the rest. I know that Alien 3 is supposedly alright but it brings nothing new to the table and it completely shits on what Aliens tried to do (give Ripley a new family in the place of her daughter who died of old age while Ripley was in cryo). No thanks.

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yeah, I always watch Alien, Aliens and AvP cause Saana really elevates the whole thing and sells friendship with the Predator. Skip the rest. I know that Alien 3 is supposedly alright but it brings nothing new to the table and it completely shits on what Aliens tried to do (give Ripley a new family in the place of her daughter who died of old age while Ripley was in cryo). No thanks.

:lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Lol The Promise closed today. Huge bomb. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=thepromise2017.htm

It's actually sad. The guy who financed it really wanted that story to be told and get exposure, and then he died before the movie was finished or something. And now it bombed.:(

@Ozymandias Oh, c'mon, it wasn't that hard! :lol:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1