kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It's actually sad. The guy who financed it really wanted that story to be told and get exposure, and then he died before the movie was finished or something. And now it bombed.:(

@Ozymandias Oh, c'mon, it wasn't that hard! :lol:

Everyone saw the trailers.  It definitely informed people, which is what I think he really wanted.

Parking lot reports can mean something, but I'd take them with a massive grain of salt unless:

1.) The lot is populated mostly - if not exclusively - by cinema patrons (i.e. not a mall/shopping center lot).

2.) You go there regularly enough to have some sense of what constitutes a crowd that is larger than usual.

I go to a shitload of movies at a cinema near a Starbucks that I also frequent, so I can usually tell whether the cinema is busier or slower than usual based upon what I see in the back lot nearest the cinema itself.

Edited by Webslinger

2 minutes ago, Robertman2 & Knuckles said:

Is Alien: Covenant closer to Alien or Aliens in tone?

Alien, albeit with significantly more gore. It doesn't veer as hard into straight-up action film territory as Aliens.

I still consider it a point of shame that I saw Alien vs. Predator theatrically. Granted, I was 13 at the time and knew full well that it couldn't possibly be anywhere near the level of Alien or Aliens, but it's still sad that of all things to be my first exposure to the Alien universe, it was that thing.

Fate of the Furious is quietly reaching a billion overseas 

Universal Pictures International’s The Fate Of The Furious has reached $985.6m. The film stands at $1.197bn worldwide, making the action thriller directed by F. Gary Gray Universal’s fifth title to cross $1bn worldwide.

Source: Screen Daily 

• Like 5

It's pretty awesome that The Fate of the Furious is going to cross $1 billion overseas. It was always going to be much, much, much more of an overseas play than a domestic one, sure, but seeing a 16-year-old franchise with very modest roots crossing $1 billion overseas in consecutive installments is awesome.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

does anyone else think King Arthur might significantly cut into Alien's opening weekend?

one is the opening weekend of a well-reviewed installment of a decades-old franchise with significant buzz, the other is the second weekend of an absolute financial failure with terrible marketing and no mainstream appeal

so who knows

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

It's pretty awesome that The Fate of the Furious is going to cross $1 billion overseas. It was always going to be much, much, much more of an overseas play than a domestic one, sure, but seeing a 16-year-old franchise with very modest roots crossing $1 billion overseas in consecutive installments is awesome.

It's insanely impressive that it's doing what supposedly bigger franchises couldn't. Crossing 1b OS twice when The Avengers franchise failed to do it twice is quite something. The rebound that F&F has is for history books. 

• Like 1

I don't mean to be hyperbolic and rely too much on anecdotal evidence, but I think Snatched is going to be in for a pretty fugly drop. The showing at my theater starting in 10 minutes has sold 7 seats. Meanwhile, the showing of F8 starting five minutes later has sold 13 seats (While I'm at it, Alien just sold 60, King Arthur 3D in 20 minutes has sold 2, and The Boss Baby that just started sold nothing). They downgraded it from the second biggest auditorium to an average one in favor of Wimpy Kid earlier in the day for the rest of the weekend too.

Edited by WrathOfHan