Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

1,157 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

I always liked the first AvP. The Saana Latham character should've been the Ripley of an AvP trilogy imo but AvP:Requiem had no carryover sadly, it was a sequel in name only. 

I feel A:C can still manage $40-$43m, enough to beat GotGv2 but I'm not confident. The crowd that relies on RT might balk at it's 67% and test any loyalty they had to the franchise. 

Yeah, I always watch Alien, Aliens and AvP cause Saana really elevates the whole thing and sells friendship with the Predator. Skip the rest. I know that Alien 3 is supposedly alright but it brings nothing new to the table and it completely shits on what Aliens tried to do (give Ripley a new family in the place of her daughter who died of old age while Ripley was in cryo). No thanks.

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yeah, I always watch Alien, Aliens and AvP cause Saana really elevates the whole thing and sells friendship with the Predator. Skip the rest. I know that Alien 3 is supposedly alright but it brings nothing new to the table and it completely shits on what Aliens tried to do (give Ripley a new family in the place of her daughter who died of old age while Ripley was in cryo). No thanks.

:lol:

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Lol The Promise closed today. Huge bomb. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=thepromise2017.htm

It's actually sad. The guy who financed it really wanted that story to be told and get exposure, and then he died before the movie was finished or something. And now it bombed.:(

@Ozymandias Oh, c'mon, it wasn't that hard! :lol:

Edited by Valonqar
1 person likes this

Parking lot report!!!

Looking kinda scanty.

AC probably won't hit 40 m OW.

Sorry, guys.

Can I get my name in purple now? :insane:

8 people like this

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It's actually sad. The guy who financed it really wanted that story to be told and get exposure, and then he died before the movie was finished or something. And now it bombed.:(

@Ozymandias Oh, c'mon, it wasn't that hard! :lol:

Everyone saw the trailers.  It definitely informed people, which is what I think he really wanted.

Pretty sure I used to do parking lot reports all the time, but yall continue to roast BKB for it.

b2152d4b8ba75f7d561b81f78798083e.gif

1 person likes this

Parking lot reports can mean something, but I'd take them with a massive grain of salt unless:

1.) The lot is populated mostly - if not exclusively - by cinema patrons (i.e. not a mall/shopping center lot).

2.) You go there regularly enough to have some sense of what constitutes a crowd that is larger than usual.

I go to a shitload of movies at a cinema near a Starbucks that I also frequent, so I can usually tell whether the cinema is busier or slower than usual based upon what I see in the back lot nearest the cinema itself.

Edited by Webslinger

13 minutes ago, trifle said:

Everyone saw the trailers.  It definitely informed people, which is what I think he really wanted.

At least something. I really feel for the guy.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Robertman2 & Knuckles said:

Is Alien: Covenant closer to Alien or Aliens in tone?

Alien, albeit with significantly more gore. It doesn't veer as hard into straight-up action film territory as Aliens.

I still consider it a point of shame that I saw Alien vs. Predator theatrically. Granted, I was 13 at the time and knew full well that it couldn't possibly be anywhere near the level of Alien or Aliens, but it's still sad that of all things to be my first exposure to the Alien universe, it was that thing.

Well tomorrow me and my friends are seeing Alien (some have to sneak in) and Guardians back to back. 

Fate of the Furious is quietly reaching a billion overseas 

Universal Pictures International’s The Fate Of The Furious has reached $985.6m. The film stands at $1.197bn worldwide, making the action thriller directed by F. Gary Gray Universal’s fifth title to cross $1bn worldwide.

Source: Screen Daily 

5 people like this

It's pretty awesome that The Fate of the Furious is going to cross $1 billion overseas. It was always going to be much, much, much more of an overseas play than a domestic one, sure, but seeing a 16-year-old franchise with very modest roots crossing $1 billion overseas in consecutive installments is awesome.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Matrix4You said:

does anyone else think King Arthur might significantly cut into Alien's opening weekend?

What?

14 people like this

5 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

does anyone else think King Arthur might significantly cut into Alien's opening weekend?

one is the opening weekend of a well-reviewed installment of a decades-old franchise with significant buzz, the other is the second weekend of an absolute financial failure with terrible marketing and no mainstream appeal

so who knows

7 people like this

8 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

It's pretty awesome that The Fate of the Furious is going to cross $1 billion overseas. It was always going to be much, much, much more of an overseas play than a domestic one, sure, but seeing a 16-year-old franchise with very modest roots crossing $1 billion overseas in consecutive installments is awesome.

It's insanely impressive that it's doing what supposedly bigger franchises couldn't. Crossing 1b OS twice when The Avengers franchise failed to do it twice is quite something. The rebound that F&F has is for history books. 

1 person likes this