kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

5 minutes ago, jandrew said:

So Alien looked poised to do $40m+ on Friday and we were all confident, but now that $35 comes out, suddenly its "im not surprised, I knew it would flop."

Revisionist garbage in a nutshell. 

Yeah. I was on the low end (and accurate, go me woOo) of predictions before the weekend but the early numbers seemed pretty good. It's dumb to start calling people out just because they made a reasonable prediction given the information they had on hand.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Yeah. I was on the low end (and accurate, go me woOo) of predictions before the weekend but the early numbers seemed pretty good. It's dumb to start calling people out just because they made a reasonable prediction given the information they had on hand.

BOF always does this. Some people make it known beforehand, but most like to wait until its confirmed to say they called this or that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MattW said:

Summer through three weekends:

2012: $710.91m

2013: $643.62m

2014: $550.76m

2015: $645.78m

2016: $608.49m

2017: $545.51m

And there's no chance of catching up with 2014 this weekend.  Maybe when wonder woman opens.

I think Pirates and Baywatch definitely have potential to put 2017 over 2014

I think you could potentially have around 145m from those new openers versus the 105m from the new openers in 2014.

Edited by The Panda of the Caribbean
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, jandrew said:

So Alien looked poised to do $40m+ on Friday and we were all confident, but now that $35 comes out, suddenly its "im not surprised, I knew it would flop."

Revisionist garbage in a nutshell. 

Honestly.  This put it back to ending in the 85-95m range instead of the 95-105m range.

Not enough difference that's going to put it over the edge of being a hit or miss.  I was originally expecting around 110m (you can check my Summer Game), thinking it could go lower or higher.  It should break even and it's not a flop.  I'm not sure why people were expecting it to increase from Prometheus in the first place.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

We just got out of Alien at the IMAX.  Honestly,  I liked it.  It wasn't great though,  the RT consensus sums it up nicely. I think IMAX is the way to go, there's some beautiful shots in this but damn @ that underwhelming OW.  

This probably won't do $100M.  That's not good. 

Pretty much exactly what I thought. Saw it in IMAX just a few minutes ago and got home now. I enjoyed it. The ending was predictable (leaned over and told my GF before it happened lol) but it was a solid movie. It wasn't great. End of the year I don't think its something that I'll be keeping in mind. But oh well, I like the Alien movies. I don't hold with many film snobs, Alien 3 was a great film to me on par with the first two. Has the creepiness factor and by one of my favorite directors of all time. All 3 first films are by the best directors of all time, actually, so I don't know what's not to like. The first disappointment and only was Resurrection which is about a C- movie. It's ok. It's not BAD it's just not at all good either. Prometheus I really enjoyed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for next weekend:

Pirates of the Caribbean: 85/105M (4 day)

Baywatch: 24/33M (5 day)

Guardians of the Galaxy: 21M

Alien Covenant: 18M

Everything, Everything: 7M

Snatched: 4M

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: 3.8M

King Arthur: 3.4M

Fate of the Furious: 2M

The Boss Baby: 1.8M

Be careful.... You might lose the derby next weekend if you give away the correct answers.  I plan on copy and pasting these predictions into next weeks derby a soon as it goes up.

7 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Not surpised Flop:Covenant opened so low. It looked horrible from the trailers and the reaction to Prometheus was yet another nail in the coffin for this franchise which lets be honest..is mostly terrible, what is it? 2 good films out of 8? This crappy franchise makes X-Men look like gold as far as ratio of good movies to bad. Put a fork in this franchise or reboot it without Ridley Flopp.

It's actually 2 masterpieces out of 6 (AvP BS doesn't count) which is still far better than most franchises out there. 

Even the highly flawed Alien 3 is interesting and has developed a cult following over the years (it also introduced David Fincher) As for the last 2 Ridley Scott installments, they are getting far more sh*t than they deserve. They are both hit-and-miss, but I'll take those over 97% of what Hollywood produces these days. 

Where I would agree with you however, is that this franchise should be passed on to an intelligent and capable young director. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

It's actually 2 masterpieces out of 6 (AvP BS doesn't count) which is still far better than most franchises out there. 

Even the highly flawed Alien 3 is interesting and has developed a cult following over the years (it also introduced David Fincher) As for the last 2 Ridley Scott installments, they are getting far more sh*t than they deserve. They are both hit-and-miss, but I'll take those over 97% of what Hollywood produces these days. 

Where I would agree with you however, is that this franchise should be passed on to an intelligent and capable young director. 

I don't even think it's the director. 

It's the stories. They aren't strong enough to carry a planned three or four movies at the expense of what was great about the original two. 

Scott directs the hell out of Covenant. Technically he's a master of the form. Yet I'm just not really invested in where they've gone with these prequels. I could feel my enthusiasm being sapped as I watched Covenant - as much as I think there's some great scenes in the film. 

56 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I don't even think it's the director. 

It's the stories. They aren't strong enough to carry a planned three or four movies at the expense of what was great about the original two. 

Scott directs the hell out of Covenant. Technically he's a master of the form. Yet I'm just not really invested in where they've gone with these prequels. I could feel my enthusiasm being sapped as I watched Covenant - as much as I think there's some great scenes in the film. 

Strictly speaking, you are correct. It's not the direction in the narrow meaning of the term that is the problem, which is in fact impeccable as Scott is a true master at this. 

What I meant was that Ridley Scott seems to focus too much on the visuals and cinematography (which in and of itself is awesome) but at the expense of a coherent and unified vision. It's as if Scott deliberately sabotages his screenwriters. I think that Covenant could be easily improved upon, merely by polishing some of the dialogue and being more economical and subtle with the exposition. 

The ideal story line I would love to see the Alien franchise go is go ahead and let Ridley finish the story he's wanting to tell with one more film(might have to cut the budget another 10-20m)... Which will have to lead into the first Alien. Then pass a new trilogy to Neill Blokamp that still includes the Prometheus/Covenant/3rd film stories continuity.

I heard Blokamp wants to rewrite Alien 3 basically, where Alien and Aliens are still part of the timeline, but start over from there. Alien 3 and 4 would serve as a "alternate timeline" I guess.

The franchise definitely needs a fresh director.. hopefully Fox sees that, and has someone willing to play.

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, grim22 said:

Was listening to the radio when the song Edge of Seventeen came on. Realized that I associate the song more with School of Rock than Stevie Nicks. Got me thinking which songs have been associated with their use in movies, like "A thousand miles" in White Chicks and "Stuck in the middle with you" in Reservoir Dogs.

i'm like that with Sister Christian in Boogie Nights. Matter of fact when i see other movies/tv use sister christian i get annoyed and i'm all "You can't do that! That's Boogie Nights' song!"

11 hours ago, MattW said:

Summer through three weekends:

2012: $710.91m

2013: $643.62m

2014: $550.76m

2015: $645.78m

2016: $608.49m

2017: $545.51m

And there's no chance of catching up with 2014 this weekend.  Maybe when wonder woman opens.

This May may actually have shot at becoming the worst Box office May since 2006 ($780m).

Interesting since that May (2006) also happened to begin with a monday and that has happened again until now. 

April (2006) became the best April ever (a record held until 2009). This April also broke the record. Both Aprils began with a wednesday. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Absolutely. One of the year's big surprises. Not on Get Out level of surprise but surprise in its own right. I daresay Beauty's OS is even more stunning cause those markets aren't big on musicals (unless an animation).

IMHO, "Beauty" is a bigger surprise. Every once in a while a no-budget film comes out of nowhere and makes 40x its budget. Universal is probably making more profits off of it than Disney will of Beauty, at least strictly in terms of box office. But ... $500m! That's still really rare, even though Disney has done it 3 times recently. Maybe I just like bigger numbers, LOL. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

No updates I take it?

Nope, RTH is AWOL, Empire won't do them anymore and nothing from DL or Gitesh.

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Everything cool with Empire? I totally understand if he simply doesn't want to do them. Didn't know if someone rubbed him the wrong way.

His posts are being shared on other sites and I think he wants to keep a low profile.

• Like 1

Another reason I got back into reading so I can kill time waiting for more numbers :P

Still doing IT and on the Hanlon farm now ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 75live said:

Another reason I got back into reading so I can kill time waiting for more numbers :P

Still doing IT and on the Hanlon farm now ;) 

Good stuff.  I love the Hanlon character....well, I like all the kids...but Ben, Mike and Bill are my faves.

• Like 1