kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

Just now, DAJK said:

Everywhere I look Wimpy Kid is having some pretty damn good matinees. Everything Everything is doing almost nothing for first shows, but that's to be expected. Roles will probably reverse when we get into the evening.

Wimpy Kid had a huge group buyout this morning by me. Everything Everything is an absolute bomb here: the showing that just started only sold 4 tickets.

Wimpy is aptly named for local matinees here, though school is still in session (as it is for 97% of the country).

Everything, Everything has already sold out an evening show here with another looking to follow before long.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 1

Not a bad preview number for Alien, considering it's a nearly 40 year old franchise and Prometheus was liked but wasn't loved 5 years ago. 

Ok for Everything,Everything, it's target audience has  school nights on Thursday nights in most of the United States. It won't be another If I Stay, but more of a modest performer at best.

While unknown yet, it looks like Wimpy Kid could be a flop. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I would love to see him be involved in some capacity..producer and/or writer. Why not give Wes Ball a crack at AvP with the backing of Cameron and Scott.

Both Scott and Cameron hate AvP, so no way there's a single chance in hell they would be involved in this. And Scott also hates all Alien sequels, even Cameron's one, and doesn't consider them as canon.

Edited by Firepower

3 hours ago, Poseidon said:

I don't think that's enough for a $50m opening. 
Prometheus did almost the same from midnights only 5 years ago. 

This is not a backloaded franchise at all. 

Yeah, 40+ is more like it.

Reminds me of how APOCALYPSE did 8.2 in previews compared to DOFP's 8.1 and ended up well behind in the OW.

PTHEUS did 21.5 od and fell only 15% Sun drop due to June release.

21.5 + 16 (-25.4%) + 13.6 (-15.3%) = 51

For ALIEN:C I see od as 4-4.5x the previews for 17-19 Fri and 40-45 weekend:

17 + 13.4 (-21%) + 10.1 (-25%) = 40.5

19 + 15.0 (-21%) + 11.2 (-25%) = 45.2

Edited by a2knet

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The budget for Covenant is  $97m which is less than both Prometheus which was $120-130m and even The Martian which was $108m. I'm guessing they got tax credits for shooting in New Zealand and also Ridley must be good at keeping costs under control

Veteran directors who know what they're doing and know what they want can be very efficient, especially when they can plan through pre-production and don't run into dramatic obstacles.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Both Scott and Cameron hate AvP, so no way there's a single chance in hell they would be involved in this. And Scott also hates all Alien sequels, even Cameron's one, and doesn't consider them as canon.

Scott doesn't like Aliens? :sadben:

Why doesn't he like it?

4 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Veteran directors who know what they're doing and know what they want can be very efficient, especially when they can plan through pre-production and don't run into dramatic obstacles.

Nolan is the same, I think his films never go overbudget, I think he was under budget for Inception or Interstellar. 

15 minutes ago, Firepower said:

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Scott doesn't like Aliens? :sadben:

Why doesn't he like it?

This isn't accurate.

Ridley Scott remains fairly tight-lipped on the other films in the franchise.

Scott stated once in an interview that he was hurt that 20th Century Fox didn't ask him to direct the sequel to Alien. However, he admits that Cameron’s film is pretty good.

“They didn’t ask me!” he told The Hollywood Interview in 2008. “To this day I have no idea why. It hurt my feelings, really, because I thought we did quite a good job on the first one.”

Despite Ridley’s feelings, there was no jealously or animosity between him and the sequel’s director. The two bumped into one another at Pinewood Studies when the movie was being made and, by Cameron’s account, the meeting was friendly. “I was coming out of dallies and he was going in,” he told Fangoria magazine in ’86, “and we spoke for about 10 minutes. We didn’t really talk about Aliens at all; he didn’t seem particularly curious about it, other than the fact it was being done. We just spoke in general terms about shooting in England – it was very polite, there was no depth to it. Basically, it was like, ‘Hello, pleased to meet you.'”

Scott’s feelings also did not influence his thoughts on the sequel: “It’s always a tough job to follow a successful film with a sequel to it,” he is quoted in Aliens: The Illustrated Screenplay, “so what I think James Cameron did was an excellent action picture. It really was amazing what he accomplished. There’s also no question that Cameron made an excellent film with Aliens. It really is an achievement.” In 2012, he stated: “Jim loved Alien, adored it … I would never, ever critique or criticise [Aliens] because I think it was very successful and what he did was really good.”

He just had very different ideas about where he would've taken the sequel had he done it:

“It certainly should explain what the Alien is and where it comes from,” he told Omni’s Screen Flights/Screen Fantasies in 1984. “That will be tough because it will require dealing with other planets, worlds, civilisations. Because obviously the Alien did come from some sort of civilisation. The Alien was presented, really, as one of the last survivors of Mars – a planet named after the god of war. The Alien may be one of the last descendants of some long-lost self-destructed group of beings.”

Ridley also explained to Cinefantastique that “’in many respects it’ll be more interesting [than the first movie], from a pure science-fiction stand point. We’d get into speculative areas, deal with two civilisations.”

So basically these new movies are a reflection of what he always wanted to do.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I can understand why they disliked AvP because it's a mash up of two very different franchises. 

Well, I guess I must retract an earlier statement. Everything Everything just had a big jump in sales for matinees, so I guess it's primarily a walk-up rather than a "buy tickets in advance" film

10 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Hey, scale wise Covenant is not that big.

2 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

I'm not talking about scale. Zemeckis' FLIGHT is pretty small-scale and still very impressive in terms of that crash sequence, compared to overall budget.

Zemeckis made The Walk which cost $40m visually impressive as well. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Actually, Cameron now likes the first AVP, as do I.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/22405