Eric Atreides

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-dead-men-tell-no-tales-baywatch-box-office-weekend-1202102887/

Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales took to the sea last night with $5.5M at 7 PM in previews and now sets sail in 4,276 theaters tonight (that includes 400 Imax locales and 500+ PLF, too).

So where does that stand? Pirates‘ previews were ahead of the $4.2M preview grosses for The Jungle Book and Maleficent.

Stranger Tides reportedly brought in $4.7M in previews and X-Men: Apocalypse tallied $8.2M from previews last Memorial Day, before settling in with a $79.8M four-day gross in 4,153 theaters.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Bodes well for Wonder Woman next weekend.

Ppl keep saying that I'm wondering if every huge movie is gonna underperform or do just ok numbers this summer?

Just now, John Marston said:

Pretty meh. But it shouldn't be crazy frontloaded or anything so 80m 4 day might happen 

Why would it not be frontloaded as the fifth movie in the series? I know this is Disney but I doubt it has much kid appeal given the PG-13 rating and age of the series.

I made these predictions on neoGAF yesterday:

Pre: $5.6M
Fri: $22.2M/$16.6M
Sat: $18.3M -17.57%/+10.24%
Sun: $16.5M -9.84%
Mon: $12.6M -23.64%

I could see it going a bit higher or lower, but I think $75+M for the 4-day is out the window with the preview number out now.

Edited by Biggestgeekever

2 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Not good at all. Looks like rest of the summer will be meh. Despicable me 3 and Cars are the only ones that will break out.

I don't think so. I'm looking at some comedies and other midbudget fare to break out. 

Either Rough Night, The House, or The Hitlans Bodygaurd or Girls Trip

or All Eyez on Me, Dunkirk, Detroit 

one or two of these films will unexpectedly do 100m+

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

Ouch, not expecting it to be frontloaded, but not a good number even then.

Yeah, I'm pretty much thinking the same. I guess it can go over 70m but not much further.

Edited by Arlborn