WrathOfHan

The Florida Project | October 6, 2017 (limited) | A24 | Willem Dafoe | From the Director of Tangerine

Spoiler

It's both a beautifully and horrifically authentic slice of life.

The use of the children echoes peak Spielberg. They feel so real... in part because they are real. Ditto most of the cast, save for a fantastic Willem Dafoe (who I had pegged to take the "Best Supporting Actor" Oscar the moment I saw the trailer... and yeah... I think he has this locked down after seeing the film) and Caleb Landry Jones (in what's basically an extended cameo but thank God he didn't pull that "Acting from another solar system" weirdo bullshit he did on the otherwise excellent Get Out).

Having lived in Florida for about a year, this is real. I saw this driving by work on a daily basis. It's stomach-churning to see children growing up in such a fucked up environment and there were several times I was mortified by the parenting on display. I have no doubt Haley loved her little girl Moonee but she's so Goddamn unfit and borderline psychotic at times (like pulling out her used maxi pad in protest?!), I felt a bit of relief when the authorities showed up at the end.

But that ending drew "...the Hell?!" reactions. It's still sitting on me though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, filmnerdjamie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Without getting into spoilers, I thought the ending was perfect.

1 minute ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

Can't wait for this to go wide, hopefully in the next few weeks?

I imagine A24 will get it at least semi-wide either next weekend or the week after before the onslaught of specialty titles (Lady Bird, Three Billboards, Call Me by Your Name, etc.) start rolling in.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I imagine A24 will get it at least semi-wide either next weekend or the week after before the onslaught of specialty titles (Lady Bird, Three Billboards, Call Me by Your Name, etc.) start rolling in.

That just reminds me it's getting to the best part of the movie season, imo.  Excited for all of the Oscah stuff.

15 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm surprised this has fizzled out before even hitting 300 theaters. Guess the GA isn't much into "white trash" movies.

FWIW Room was looking to peter out with about $5M from less than 200 theaters after three months before Oscar noms were announced and gave it a lot of attention that allowed it to nearly triple its gross. So I wouldn't write this completely off just yet.

• Like 2