39 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Can someone tell me what Russell Crowe's character, Dr Jekyll/Mr. Hyde does? 

He is the leader of Prodigium and wants to save the world from the monsters. There are like 3-4 minutes where he turns into Jekyll and those were glorious beyond belief lmao. Peak Crowe.

As chasmmi said, he also has an incredible accent.

The more I think about the ending the more I hate. It feels tacked on. It feels like they ran out of money. It feels like they had to reshoot the ending and it was a huge setpiece before but they couldn't spend more money so that is what we got. It is so so bad. Such a weak foundation to kick off your universe, Universal. No surprise the WOM is near toxic.

47 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The more I think about the ending the more I hate. It feels tacked on. It feels like they ran out of money. It feels like they had to reshoot the ending and it was a huge setpiece before but they couldn't spend more money so that is what we got. It is so so bad. Such a weak foundation to kick off your universe, Universal. No surprise the WOM is near toxic.

Whats the ending? 

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Whats the ending? 

The ending is in a cheap looking cave with a dead Jenny and Nick and the Munmy fighting. Nick grabs the dagger. He is about to break a red rock in it which apparently breaks the curse. Mummy tells him not to destroy it and that the ritual will give him power over life and death. If it was the Mumny stabbing him, Nick would turn into the Egyptian God Set. So what happens? Nick stabbs himself, gains super powers, sucks the life out of the Mummy, and brings Jenny and Vail back to life. Nick has essentially became a stronger Mummy. It felt contrived as hell.

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

So what happens? Nick stabbs himself, gains super powers, sucks the life out of the Mummy, and brings Jenny and Vail back to life. Nick has essentially became a stronger Mummy.

I legit burst out laughing @ this holy hell. Just...what? 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The ending is in a cheap looking cave with a dead Jenny and Nick and the Munmy fighting. Nick grabs the dagger. He is about to break a red rock in it which apparently breaks the curse. Mummy tells him not to destroy it and that the ritual will give him power over life and death. If it was the Mumny stabbing him, Nick would turn into the Egyptian God Set. So what happens? Nick stabbs himself, gains super powers, sucks the life out of the Mummy, and brings Jenny and Vail back to life. Nick has essentially became a stronger Mummy. It felt contrived as hell.

Guess this is their way of making Cruise some

kind of monster fighter like Van Helsing or something 

A fast paced decent entertainer. The poor reviews may have helped my enjoyment of the movie. Some of actions scenes are good especially the Hyde fight.

It is a campy B movie. No more no less.

B

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, jb007 said:

A fast paced decent entertainer. The poor reviews may have helped my enjoyment of the movie. Some of actions scenes are good especially the Hyde fight.

It is a campy B movie. No more no less.

B

This is exactly how I felt, after watching the movie.

I went to watch it, fully prepared to hate it ( and based on how many critics say it's the worst movie ever ). I was really surprised just liked I got with X-Men Apocalypse.

• Like 2

I thought it was a disaster. The central relationship is about the least convincing I've seen in years, which alone is enough for me to just about write the movie off. But its sins are far worse; it exemplifies the worst of Hollywood franchise building and the plot is an nonsensical and aimless as you would expect from an Alex Kurtzman directed film. 

There's a germ of an interesting idea involving Tom Cruise and Sofia Boutella's characters (who are easily the best part of this movie and do the best they can with the material... material that was clearly written with an actor 20 years younger than Cruise in mind), but it's just totally suffocated by all the other bullshit.... I dunno. I've seen worse films this year, but The Mummy kind of defeated me. Studios need to learn that making a coherent, good film cannot take a backseat to starting a franchise.

D-

• Like 3

Eh, it was fine. There's a lot of stupid shit like Jake Johnson among the several tones this movie tries to juggle, but I was never bored with the film outside of the stretch between the forest and Cruise vs Crowe. 7/10 | B-

• Like 2

Grade: C+/B-

I felt the story was very well explained. I liked that we got Princess Ahemet(sp) backstory out of the way early.

Initially I didn't like how Nick Morton(Cruise) was instantly laid out as less than honorable fellow. Looking back I realize that was to make the whole film a redemption arc for him. That said, when he rides off at the end of the film it's set up so that we don't necessarily have to ever meet him again.

Pros

The F/X

Casting of Cruise, Boutella and Crowe worked for me

The story and potential for this modern monster interconnected universe

The Easter Eggs....especially the book Jenny whacked that Prodigium guy with? Yeah, you know that book from that film. 

The few minutes of Hyde we got!

The Prodigium base

Cons

The horrible attempts at humor. 

Jenny's horrible "go get 'em" lines after the truck flips over. Just horrid. 

Jenny being reduced to basically the damsel in distress, a very hollow role. One might say she nurtured the good out of Nick and that was her purpose but they could've made me care more about her and written her better.

The entire role of "best buddy" Chris Vail as played by Jake Johnson. I've not wanted a character to just go away(die) more since TF4's Lucas(TJ Miller)

Lots of possibilities here. The Mummy is more Man of Steel than Iron Man. I hope it succeeds so we get the other installments. 

Edited by Captain Craig
  • Like 2

russell crowe is the only reason it's not an F. reminiscent of his 'can't be bothered' ham from man with iron fists, one of my favourite crowe performances. that and the bit under water because underwater stuff always freaks me out anyway. I might have actually said "oh, go fuck yourself" under my breath when they started doing the American Werewolf in London ripoff shit with jake johnson.

• Like 2

new found respect for a decent jump scare even with people calling them lazy and cheap. thanks to alex kurtzman's complete inability to pull one off despite several attempts. it seems like he was intentionally trying to dampen their impact in every 'spooky' sequence.

• Like 2