39 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

36 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

russell crowe is the only reason it's not an F. reminiscent of his 'can't be bothered' ham from man with iron fists, one of my favourite crowe performances. that and the bit under water because underwater stuff always freaks me out anyway. I might have actually said "oh, go fuck yourself" under my breath when they started doing the American Werewolf in London ripoff shit with jake johnson.

Brad Jones brought up the AWIL comparison in his review. Tom Cruise is basically David: he survives a freak accident somehow, but it turns out he's now a monster and his dead buddy is taunting him! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Brad Jones brought up the AWIL comparison in his review. Tom Cruise is basically David: he survives a freak accident somehow, but it turns out he's now a monster and his dead buddy is taunting him! 

oh wow gee, despite mentioning the film in my post i didn't get that until you mentioned it just now. thanks.

• Like 2

I never had such a....nothing reaction to a movie. When the projector broke, I just left and went to Captain Underpants again. I don't even care to see how it finished. It wouldn't be fair to truly grade this but life isn't fair so D, because a lot of the set pieces were cool. 

• Like 1

What an incoherent mess of a film. I see they learned nothing from Dracula Untold as it has the exact same problems. Great cast and acting, bad story and bad directing. They just assumed DU did poorly in the US because no star power which was false. So now they will get the same result. Bad reviews, bad domestic performance and overseas will make a profit. 

Cruise was good but way too old to play a marine deployed to Iraq. The Jenny character was boring and useless.  Crowe was good and I though him and Mummy had the best backstories and were the most fleshed out of the characters. 

Not sure how they build a universe around this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frozen said:

Not sure how they build a universe around this. 

I think that is Universal's "out". No single "DU" film, at least it's true here, has to have that film as the core to build around. 

It's the Prodigium that the DU is going to be built around and Crowe's Jekyll specifically as he's the running thread thru the DU as stated by Universal.

Cruise's Army character Nick gallops off at the end with his buddy in tow as Jekyll narrates, "he could be just the monster we need" BUT we don't ever have to see him again. The DU, i.e. real world Universal, might just decide to script better characters to become the monster they need. 

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

The DU, i.e. real world Universal, might just decide to script better characters to become the monster they need. 

Well they've failed twice now, so I hope they find some decent writers to do so in the future. 

• Community Manager

A Mummy movie with no sense of mystery or wonder. Characters with no personality or chemistry. Tom Cruise couldn't save this movie. Mr. Hyde bit was silly unnecessary. I remember reading an interview where one of the writers or producers said that made the Universal monsters so interesting as they could be relatable due to their desires or something similar. The female mummy was dull: she just wanted power and wasn't relatable. She wasn't scary-she was too pretty. Tom Cruise becoming a monster at the end as some kind of anti-hero didn't work because I didn't buy that he was in love with blonde girl.

D+

• Like 1

A piece of shit along the same order as Van Helsing (only not as bad because this movie isn't nearly as deafening as that was). Calling it a movie actually might be an insult to movies, for it really only exists to promote the Dark Universe (which is unlikely to move forward as originally planned now). There's no sense of adventure (something the 1999 movie had in spades), the special effects are unimpressive for a $100M+ movie, and the story is cobbled together and largely incoherent. It represents every single thing wrong with the current blockbuster filmmaking method.

Tom Cruise is completely miscast in a role that was obviously written for someone decades younger than him, and he spends most of the movie with a confused look on his face (perhaps regretting taking on the project at a point where it was too late to pull out). Despite playing the title character, Sofia Boutella is an afterthought for most of the movie. Russell Crowe shows up to literally grind the movie to a halt so that it can set up the Dark Universe.

Now, about that. The setup is so clumsily done that you can hear the Universal execs shouting "Marvel, DC, and the giant monsters are all enjoying cinematic movie universes, so we want one too featuring our classic movie monsters!" If the movie wasn't only shy of two hours including end credits, breathing room might have been there for it, but in a film this short, it's just sloppy and rushed as it takes away time for making us give a shit about any of the characters. Note to filmmakers: worry more about getting your universe off on a good note and save revealing your financial plan for when/if you get it right the first time.

Just two weeks ago I declared Baywatch as the worst movie I've seen so far this year. Clearly I spoke too soon cause fuck this movie. Consider the Dark Universe (nice logo) dead and buried before it has even begun. D-

• Like 3

Well this was rough... I loved every moment where it felt like a horror film, especially when we get the first glimpse of the mummy with the two security guards... it was fantastic. Unfortunately, I totally agree that tonally the film is all over the place, which makes the jokes never land, and the horror never really reach any kind of peak because it's always being interrupted by some lame one liner that feels so out of place. The action was fantastic, so I wasn't completely bored, but it definitely felt like I was thrown into a blender for two hours.

C-

• Like 1

What a piece of shit. Tom Cruise is completely miscast and his relationship with the blonde girl was just abysmal. The film spends so much time setting up other movies that it forgets to tell any sort of compelling story. Also the tone was all over the place. It couldn't decide if it wanted to be a horror film or just another stupid summer blockbuster. The only thing I enjoyed was Russel Crow and his hammy performance but aside from that this was just a boring mess. It's clear that Universal just shit this out to set up their Dark Universe and didn't put any thought into it.

D-

• Like 2

Starts off pretty promising and than completely collapses once it gets into the main storyline. Tom Cruise couldn't even save this colossal dull mess (seemed like he was sleepwalking through the role) and I really struggled to keep my eyes open during the last hour. - D

• Like 1

I should have loved this movie, it mixes horror with adventure, it has a new twist on the Mummy story, it has creative action sequences, a cast I really like. But I was bored, and that's probably because I couldn't care about any of the characters or for where the story was headed. So many writers involved, yet no one was able to fix this fundamental flaw in the script...

• Like 1

Watched it again. 

First of all i can remember movie in 3 parts. Firstly Iraq, Second with Jekyll and Third the final act.

This movie should have focused on a in-depth story telling, OK lets forget story at least on content. 

I'd say this movie is perfect example of Careless film making, how can you let go a Golden opportunity in this way? Its OK to reach the half way mark and fail but here they haven't reached that far in terms of what they actually intended to do. 

The Mummy Movies were always under FUN category, ok you wanna make it dark and distinctive from previous entries in this franchisee. Totally Fine. But dint you do your homework which is necessary before starting/making something Big?

This movie wasn't a bore to be frank but the way it was presented was completely clueless and the subject matter looked silly considering the way they have focused on filming this. 

Like i said if this isn't a bore then what else is it? N-O-T-H-I-N-G. 

This movie neither bends on boring aspect knor any interesting aspect. For me this movie looked like any normal movie which was made just for the sake of making one!

This movie will go down in history as how not to start a universe for studios. No Excuses. 

5/10

I'm glad this failed. Critically and Financially. I hope this teaches Universal to think twice before half-assing a cinematic universe with so many iconic characters before it even gets a chance to start. What could've been an interesting franchise has ended up as a DOA mess. I can give something like Transformers: The Last Knight credit because at least Michael Bay is trying to make a movie that is somewhat self-contained and tries to tell a complete story beginning to end. At least he is allowed to make creative choices with the characters and the story. Not good choices but it still feels like something in his vision. I don't get any of that here. This is just a corporate piece of garbage that is nothing but ugly, incoherent, and devoid of any substance. This film makes the decent Brendan Fraser Mummy films look like Star Wars in comparison.

D-

• Like 2

In watching The Mummy, the reason why Universal’s intended “dark universe” landed dead on arrival becomes all too clear all too fast: it’s spectacularly boring. The studio was clearly more excited by the potential of resurrecting their classic monster properties than anyone involved with this film was in making it, as evidenced through a lazy script riddled with plot holes, actors who look like they can’t wait to leave the set to deposit their paychecks, and action sequences that sputter out and die without a whiff of vigor. The 1999 remake may not have been a masterpiece, but at least it embraced its campy tone and wanted to be a fun, old-fashioned adventure; this remake, on the other hand, feels like a soulless corporate product from top to bottom, with every lifeless new twist and turn occurring simply to set up a cinematic universe that will never come to fruition. Rumor has it that Tom Cruise had a tremendous amount of creative control on set, but one would never know it from the most listless performance of his career; all his charisma is gone, and he puts in such little effort that he doesn’t feel like he’s even playing himself – he’s just taking up space. The film also wastes the physicality Sofia Boutella displayed in Kingsman and Star Trek Beyond, and she never comes across as a worthy villain. The sole redeeming presence in the film is Jake Johnson, whose snarky undead sidekick feels like he belongs in a completely different movie; at least he’s having fun, unlike everyone else present. Despite the enormously negative response to the film, I didn’t want to believe that it could be this bad, but it takes its place as the worst would-be blockbuster since G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. Mercifully, however, we won’t have to bear the thought of a sequel.

D-

Jake Johnson's performance is the only thing saving this film from an F.

• Like 1

"I can't unsee it."

The Mummy is subtly quite awful. Conceptually, there's a lot of creative stuff going on here, modernizing the old Universal monster movies within the context of the current cinematic universe trend. However, a crucial mistake is made with trying to make this an action movie, rather than leaning harder into the lore and world of mummies and Mr. Hyde, gods and monsters. This is possibly the most boring outcome for a movie like this, and honestly, that's why it feels so disappointing. There's room for a new monster universe in Hollywood, but they need to be operatic horror, not this blah Mission: Impossible rip-off. The Mummy feels like white noise as a film, leaving nothing memorable after a watch besides wasted potential. D-

• Like 1