YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

Just now, Krissykins said:

I'm guessing $7.1m. 

So maybe Empire can come here and tell us that the French Connection was a great movie LOL

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

So maybe Empire can come here and tell us that the French Connection was a great movie LOL

Back to the Future is my favorite movie. Part III, actually. 

;) 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Back to the Future is my favorite movie. Part III, actually. 

;) 

That would be insane.

My guess is... "That Chinatown was a damn fine film."

'74 was an absolute freak year for American cinema by the way. Just nutso. Chinatown, Godfather Part II, The Conversation, A Woman Under The Influence, Young Frankenstein, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Taking of Pelham One Two Three, Longest Yard, Lenny, Murder on the Orient Express, Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Death Wish, Blazing Saddles and more that I've simply forgotten. Holy mother fuck. That's an insane list of awesome.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

My guess is... "That Chinatown was a damn fine film."

'74 was an absolute freak year for American cinema by the way. Just nutso. Chinatown, Godfather Part II, The Conversation, A Woman Under The Influence, Young Frankenstein, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Taking of Pelham One Two Three, Longest Yard, Lenny, Murder on the Orient Express, Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Death Wish, Blazing Saddles and more that I've simply forgotten. Holy mother fuck. That's an insane list of awesome.

Props for remembering Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. After three viewings it's become a low-key favorite of mine. One of the most undersung movies of the '70s, every fan of Eastwood and Bridges needs to see it. 

14 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Props for remembering Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. After three viewings it's become a low-key favorite of mine. One of the most undersung movies of the '70s, every fan of Eastwood and Bridges needs to see it. 

I only caught about 6 months on TCM. Had no idea Michael Cimino had directed this gem. I fully expected to see Arthur Penn or George Roy Hill's name in when perusing the cast/crew after watching. And, it was fucking great. Caught me off guard.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I only caught about 6 months on TCM. Had no idea Michael Cimino had directed this gem. I fully expected to see Arthur Penn or George Roy Hill's name in when perusing the cast/crew after watching. And, it was fucking great. Caught me off guard.

Cimino's visual grandeur and sense of romanticism + Eastwood's no-nonsense attitude both in front and behind the camera (I don't think he ever agreed to shoot more than three takes) equals wonders. I think The Deer Hunter and Heaven's Gate have higher individual highs but T&L is easily Cimino's most consistent movie, and at this point probably my favorite. Bridges' performance is also the best I've seen from him, just heartbreaking. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AStarWarsFan said:

You forgot that the Mafia was also involved in it.

Maybe at a low level. But not the highest level needed to change the course of history.