filmlover

Wonder Wheel | Woody Allen | Kate Winslet | December 1 | Amazon to distribute

Woody Allen’s next film will hit theaters this December, Variety has learned.

“Wonder Wheel,” a drama set in Coney Island during the 1950s, will debut in limited release on Dec. 1, 2017. That pits it against “The Disaster Artist,” a comedy with James Franco about the making of the cult film “The Room.” It’s actually a pretty open period on the release calendar. Disney will launch “Coco,” an animated movie, on the weekend before “Wonder Wheel” opens. The weekend after “Wonder Wheel” lands will see the release of Guillermo Del Toro’s fantasy drama “The Shape of Water,” but many films seem to be steering clear of December. That likely has a lot to do with “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” which hits theaters on Dec. 15.

Amazon Studios is distributing “Wonder Wheel,” having previously worked with Allen on last year’s “Cafe Society.” That comedic drama went on to make $43.8 million globally. “Wonder Wheel’s” cast includes Jim Belushi, Juno Temple, Justin Timberlake, and Kate Winslet. A logline for the film says that it will contain “larger-than-life characters, lovers, infidelity, and gangsters.” It’s Winslet’s first time working with Allen. She was previously tapped for 2005’s “Match Point,” but had to drop out for family reasons.

http://variety.com/2017/film/awards/woody-allen-wonder-wheel-justin-timberlake-1202462903/

Edited by filmlover

So weird having a Woody movie in the winter. Last one was what, Cassandra's Dream? 

Anyway, even though his legitimately good movies are getting progressively rarer I'll see this in the theater for Vittorio Storaro alone. Winslet and Timberlake don't hurt. 

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is such a filmlover post.

Whatever.

Anyway, Woody said that this was gonna be out in the summer but I guess Amazon is confident in it to hold off until the end of the year. Not that I expect it to go far beyond a sole acting nom for Winslet.

Just now, filmlover said:

Whatever.

Anyway, Woody said that this was gonna be out in the summer but I guess Amazon is confident in it to hold off until the end of the year. Not that I expect it to go far beyond a sole acting nom for Winslet.

Its odd not having a Woody Allen film in the summer but I think it could well on December even with the various Oscar baits 

Let me guess :

This is about a love triangle in the high society circles, there is  Clarinet 40's Jazz in the soundtrack, someone name-drops Sartre, existentialism and constructivism in the dialogs.

And An Ingénue  falls for her mentor-father figure.

Ending is bittersweet.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

If it's not good enough for awards attention it's gonna die in December. During the summer even his weaker stuff at least serves as an alternative to blockbusters. 

The grosses for his movies are usually on the low side. Midnight in Paris and Blue Jasmine were obvious anomalies considering everything else he's done this decade has virtually vanished without a trace (although To Rome with Love and Magic in the Moonlight probably did better than they would have were they not riding the goodwill of the aforementioned movies). This is opening head to head against The Disaster Artist in limited release although A24 is most likely positioning that as more of a commercial/Golden Globes play.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The grosses for his movies are usually on the low side. Midnight in Paris and Blue Jasmine were obvious anomalies considering everything else he's done this decade has virtually vanished without a trace (although To Rome with Love and Magic in the Moonlight probably did better than they would have were they not riding the goodwill of the aforementioned movies). This is opening head to head against The Disaster Artist in limited release although A24 is most likely positioning that as more of a commercial/Golden Globes play.

OS has usually helped Woody Allen's film studios especially the European based ones like Midnight in Paris and Vicki Cristina Barcelona. 

Woody's movies are inexpensive and I imagine Amazon did the deal with him as a loss leader to boost Amazon Studios and Amazon Prime