That One Girl

The Only Living Boy in New York | August 11, 2017 | Roadside Attractions | Directed by Marc Webb | Kate Beckinsale, Pierce Brosnan, Jeff Bridges

He's done another one already? I'm one of the apparently few people here who thought Gifted was lazy and dumb as a bag of rocks, so if this is similarly sucky that'll surely be the time to write Webb off once and for all. 

[Edit] *checks IMDb* and it's written by Allan Loeb? Yeah the odds are NOT looking good for this one. 

Edited by Jake Gittes

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

He's done another one already? I'm one of the apparently few people here who thought Gifted was lazy and dumb as a bag of rocks, so if this is similarly sucky that'll surely be the time to write Webb off once and for all. 

It's written by Allan Loeb too, lmao.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

[Edit] *checks IMDb* and it's written by Allan Loeb? Yeah the odds are NOT looking good for this one. 

"Hmm, what has this guy written?"

*checks Wikipedia*

Use links below to save image.

• Like 1

For all the shit people gave to the likes of Spaiths or whoever, if there's one actively working screenwriter worthy of derision he's right here.

In 2004, after graduating from the University of California, Los Angeles, he moved to New York to write what he calls his "Hail Mary" script The Only Living Boy in New York.

So the one where he tries the hardest but still fails? I suppose being from 2004 this won't be as shameless and self-parodying as stuff like Collateral Beauty and The Space Between Us. You'd need to really stop giving a shit before you graduate to those. 

Until the shitty sappy last third of the trailer that was the most woody allen-esque trailer for a movie he didn't direct i'd ever seen. except of course the woman is older than the guy. in the woodman's version jeff bridges would be the one going after beckinsale.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Is this your new thing?

Sorry I'm dropping truth bombs in here.

500 Days of Summer largely lives on its script. Not saying Webb's direction isn't a key component in the film, but it's hardly the #1 reason why it works.

TASMs are...... something. 

Gifted is directed very by the books. If I didn't know Webb directed Gifted and you told me he directed the three movies above, I'd laugh.

This looks nothing like any of his previous films straight down to a different aspect ratio. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm complementing it either; it looks like a very dry, bleak film saturation-wise.