MikeQ

Wednesday Numbers (June 21) -- Transformers: $15.66M; Wonder Woman: $3.85M; Cars 3: 4.34M

Deadline:

http://deadline.com/2017/06/transformers-the-last-knight-opening-day-box-office-paramount-michael-bay-mark-wahlberg-1202117364/

2ND Update: Wednesday, 1:45PM Paramount’s Transformers: The Last Knight as expected is on course to post the lowest stateside start in the series with a $15M opening day per industry sources. Compared to full day starts for a Transformers film, that’s the lowest first single day after 2009’s Revenge of the Fallen ($62M), 2014’s Age of Extinction ($41.9M), 2011’s Dark of the Moon ($37.7M) and the first 2007 movie ($27.9M). Last Knight‘s current ticket sales puts it on a course for a $63M-$65M five-day tally, which is lower than the $70M both Paramount and the industry were expecting — sequelitis in its essence. Wednesday’s take for The Last Knight includes last night’s $5.5M.

Variety:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-transformers-the-last-knight-2-1202474986/

Paramount and Hasbro’s “Transformers: The Last Knight” is heading for a respectable but unspectacular $62 million opening over its first five days at 4,069 North American locations, early estimates showed Wednesday.

“Transformers: The Last Knight,” starring Mark Wahlberg and directed by Michael Bay, took in $5.5 million in Tuesday night previews at about 3,000 locations. The preview number of $5.5 million is a match for the Thursday night previews from May 26 on Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.”

The first day gross, which includes the previews, was estimated in the $14 million to $15 million range, which projects to a range of $60 million to $62 million for the Wednesday-Sunday period.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 5

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-transformers-the-last-knight-2-1202474986/

Paramount and Hasbro’s “Transformers: The Last Knight” is heading for a respectable but unspectacular $62 million opening over its first five days at 4,069 North American locations, early estimates showed Wednesday.

“Transformers: The Last Knight,” starring Mark Wahlberg and directed by Michael Bay, took in $5.5 million in Tuesday night previews at about 3,000 locations. The preview number of $5.5 million is a match for the Thursday night previews from May 26 on Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.”

The first day gross, which includes the previews, was estimated in the $14 million to $15 million range, which projects to a range of $60 million to $62 million for the Wednesday-Sunday period.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

This summer and last year's have seen so many franchises and would-be franchises get completely wiped out. There's going to have to be a lot of evaluation in at least half of the big Hollywood studios about where they go from here.

Basically it's, if you don't have a superhero franchise, youre fucked 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 12

Wait, we may be going even less than 15 million today.  LOL what a disaster.  Outside Wonder Woman (and Guardians, but that was sort of expected and early), this summer has totally sucked.

Oh well, Wonder Woman just gonna toss all these losers aside until Spider-Man.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

This summer and last year's have seen so many franchises and would-be franchises get completely wiped out. There's going to have to be a lot of evaluation in at least half of the big Hollywood studios about where they go from here.

Or they'll keep throwing things at the wall and hoping something sticks.

• Like 1

For the longest time, I thought these franchises would be trouble to Wonder Woman. I thought Transformers would step in and decimate it. But alas...

Wonder Woman to every blockbuster this summer:
aoG03rJ-2.gif

Edited by UNDERDOG
  • Like 19

Because the conversation will migrate over here, this is what I'm thinking COULD happen for several films this week/weekend:

WW:

4M Wednesday (-25%)

3.8M Thursday (-5%)

6.5M Friday (+70%)

10.1M Saturday (+55%)

7.6M Sunday (-25%)

24.2M Weekend, 42% drop

Considering summer weekdays are kicking in even more now and 3D/additional screens are starting to go away at a lot of theaters, that is probably the best case scenario. Here's what I think will happen (for the weekend; I'm pretty set on those Wed/Thu numbers):

6.3M Friday (+65%)

9.3M Saturday (+48%)

6.9M Sunday (-26%)

22.5M Weekend, 45% drop

(Note I'm being generous on the Friday increase so I don't get flamed; remove about 1M from the weekend and that's where I'm at)

Cars:

4.8M Wednesday (-30%)

4.6M Thursday (-5%)

7.1M Friday (+55%)

9.2M Saturday (+30%)

7.2M Sunday (-22%)

23.5M Weekend, 56% drop

So yeah, Cars and WW are gonna be close this weekend.

37 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

This summer might really suck box office wise, but I think the industry honestly needs a big dose of this "tough love".

Edited by tribefan695

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

WW:

4M Wednesday (-25%)

3.8M Thursday (-5%)

6.5M Friday (+70%)

10.1M Saturday (+55%)

7.6M Sunday (-25%)

24.2M Weekend, 42% drop

Considering summer weekdays are kicking in even more now and 3D/additional screens are starting to go away at a lot of theaters, that is probably the best case scenario. Here's what I think will happen (for the weekend; I'm pretty set on those Wed/Thu numbers):

6.3M Friday (+65%)

9.3M Saturday (+48%)

6.9M Sunday (-26%)

22.5M Weekend, 45% drop

(Note I'm being generous on the Friday increase so I don't get flamed; remove about 1M from the weekend and that's where I'm at)

I wouldn't be totally set on those Wed/Thur numbers. I mentioned in the other thread with the Tuesday numbers that Wonder Woman's drop was typical given some comparisons:

Increases on Tuesday post-Father’s Day

Captain America: Civil War: +9.2%

X-Men: Apocalypse: +15.1%

Avengers: Age of Ultron: +19.9%

X-Men: Days of Future Past: +20.2%

Clearly, the Tuesday increases were muted. Well, looking at those same films, they went on to have what appear to be muted Wednesday drops as well:

Wednesday Drops post-Father's Day

Captain America: Civil War: -14.8%

X-Men: Apocalypse: -21.7%

Avengers: Age of Ultron: -18.9%

X-Men: Days of Future Past: -16.7%

So, I think you could be exactly right with Wonder Woman dropping 25% on Wednesday, but I guess I wouldn't call it a foregone conclusion, given that Wonder Woman's Tuesday increase was "only" 13%.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 10