MikeQ

Wednesday Numbers (June 21) -- Transformers: $15.66M; Wonder Woman: $3.85M; Cars 3: 4.34M

41 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Last Knight could realistically sell less admissions over its 5-day opening than Revenge of the Fallen did in its first day 8 years ago. Now that's an epic fall.

RoTF's OD adjusts to $73.5m today...add 3D and that would take it to near -$80m.

The Last Knight is definitely going to sell less tickets during its 5-day opening than RoTF did OD. An epic but deserved fail.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Cragoholica said:

I think it actually didnt have enough advertising. Good or bad they should have been cramming it down the throats because they knew they were gonna be crucified by critics. Im a little shocked the true wed was 10 million because i thought WORST case scenario it came in around the first movies take. Boy was my pea brain wrong.

Eh, idk.  I saw the movie all over the place for the last month or so, I just think the US audiences weren't interested in seeing another Transformers movie.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Mummified Panda said:

Eh, idk.  I saw the movie all over the place for the last month or so, I just think the US audiences weren't interested in seeing another Transformers movie.

It probably doesnt help that i dont gave cable either. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Where exactly it looked like a "feminist movie"? Having a strong female equals to feminism? I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to think that a Michael Bay movie would work as a feminism propaganda. 

Have you seen the trailers centered on "girl power"?

Plenty of Bayformer fans interpreted the trailer as feminist and attacked the movie for months.

Edited by grey ghost

Paramount should do the next Transformers movie set entirely in China, fill it with Chinese stars, have parts of the movie in Mandarin, and figure out parts of Chinese culture to incorporate.  Maybe get that Fast and Furious guy to do it.

Im not even joking.  It wouldn't make a difference in the US, as it'd bomb either way, and internationally it's not any different than setting the movie in the US.  

They should experiment and be the first Hollywood studio to make a movie catered for China. (Then again, Mulan might also fit that bill, even if it's aimed at a Western audience too)

Edited by The Mummified Panda
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

I saw the same trailer for this movie in the previews of every film of 2017 I saw.

Including Free Fire LOL.

They crammed it here in the US, we just don't care.

Yeah I guess my interest was so low I might have actively avoided any mention. 

July will be interesting.

Will there be any break outs?

Which of the big three (Spidey, Apes, Nolan) will disappoint?

They can't all be smash hits.

And then the wild cards: Valerian, Atomic Blonde, and Emoji.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just feel like the poor quality of the sequels was bound to catch up to the grosses at some point. Looks like the time has come.

Yep, indeed it was. There's always a lot of discussion about how some franchises continue to print money, but that's not really true. Eventually audiences DO get fed up, and when that happens, the box office falls off a cliff. It sometimes happens with the first sequel and sometimes much later.

This is sort of random, but I forgot just how bad the drop off for Rambo 3 was. First Blood 2 was the second highest grossing film of 1985, and seemed pretty well regarded by audiences. But 3 still dropped over 60% domestically, from $150M to $54M.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Where exactly it looked like a "feminist movie"? Having a strong female equals to feminism? I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to think that a Michael Bay movie would work as a feminism propaganda. 

umm idk this seems pretty feminist to me

mbs-tdk-dawes.jpg

Edited by Eevin

8 minutes ago, The Mummified Panda said:

Paramount should do the next Transformers movie set entirely in China, fill it with Chinese stars, have parts of the movie in Mandarin, and figure out parts of Chinese culture to incorporate.  Maybe get that Fast and Furious guy to do it.

Im not even joking.  It wouldn't make a difference in the US, as it'd bomb either way, and internationally it's not any different than setting the movie in the US.  

They should experiment and be the first Hollywood studio to make a movie catered for China. (Then again, Mulan might also fit that bill, even if it's aimed at a Western audience too)

They should get Chinese companies to help pay for it though. Hollywood only gets a 25% royalty on their releases in China. Force them to help cover the insane expense of producing this thing in the first place. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Girls Trip, yo. Join the $100M+ club.

5 minutes ago, Eevin said:

umm idk this seems pretty feminist to me

mbs-tdk-dawes.jpg

That's basically Marky Mark's love interest in the new film. I started laughing when I thought of how perfectly it described her while seeing the film last night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

My gut says apes disapoints while dunkirk will be suprising given its "wow" factor at the big screen. 

I think valerian crashes hard and atomic does so-so business if it gets a fairly positive review aggregate. I have no pulse on emoji tho that could go any which way but loose.