John Marston

Thursday Numbers (June 22): TF5 8.1M, Cars 3 4.4M, WW 4M (Deadline)

GitS at least grossed more than its reported production budget. Still 50m or so short of the magical 2x needed to not be considered a money loser, but KA is 40m short of even that mark.

As for Monster Trucks, yeah, I forgot about that. Most of the talk about its floppage happened last year when the write-down was announced.

@Barnack that was why I said *eye roll* lol everyone knows that article was shit even 7 years ago but the point still stands nearly every film could be a flop if all it needed to do was lose a few $ theatrically in comparison to what the outsiders say is the budget.

26 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

In terms of studio's libraries: there is no empirical way because we don't have access to their books. However, the collective titles in a library are incredibly valuable -- there is almost no expense involved and they do nothing but generate money. They are literal cash-cows, even if (as the titles get older) the money may slow to a trickle. 

The 6 studios are almost private entity of public conglomerate and give no break down what so ever of new vs library, but Liongates do (the only public kind of big enough to look like a studio ?) and that can give an idea:

https://www.lionsgate.com/uploads/assets/2016 Annual Report.pdf

The divided their revenues entry by annual slate and give a list of movie making them, you can see the result for the movie from 2014, 2015, 2016 and a category prior that include the library of older stuff.

I think library value are going down quite a bit, at least for Liongates quite a bit and for Sony also (removing the giant goodwill was in part caused by that), I would imagine that it is a bit like that for everyone, at least until they figure out what to do with it in that post tv/dvd world.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think library value are going down quite a bit, at least for Liongates quite a bit and for Sony also (removing the giant goodwill was in part caused by that), I would imagine that it is a bit like that for everyone, at least until they figure out what to do with it in that post tv/dvd world.

There's an adjustment in the post-DVD world for sure, but again, there's very little expense involved with back titles. If they do anything at all, it's almost pure profit.

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

There's an adjustment in the post-DVD world for sure, but again, there's very little expense involved with back titles. If they do anything at all, it's almost pure profit.

Having a huge library of films and characters is advantageous because not only do they make money even if there isn't a franchise but also they can turned into different medium like the TV versions of Lethal Weapon or SWAT or stage productions like The Lion King, Kinky Boots etc not to mention licensing for merchandise or even ads. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Those price stickers that go on the dvd box don't pay for themselves, Tele. :depp:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, narniadis said:

Where is the crowd that kept insisting this film would have legs? I said on Friday it would be downhill everyday but the Fridays and those would barely increase enough to keep drops from being catastrophic. headed to a minimum -75% this weekend and it will barely top 6m for the weekend if at all.

Compton was the exception to the rule that says heavily urban audience friendly movies are way frontloaded - particularly if there is no cross-over appeal.

Aren't Straight Outta Compton and the Tupac movie the only two examples? It is really strange to establish rules when the sample is two movies. One performed well beyond its opening weekend while the other did not. One has great critic and audience reception while the other has neither. I think that it is way more rational to attribute its performance to terrible reviews and terrible word-of-mouth than it being "urban audience friendly." That is really myopic thinking for someone who has a post whining about people thinking too black-and-white in a gray universe or whatever. 

There is only soo much a movie with only appealing visuals can achieve. If the TF movies had better story telling it would've done so much better at the box office despite this one being the 5th movie in the franchise.

• Like 1