grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

I'm more interested in this:

Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman which is clicking past Universal’s Mamma Mia! on a worldwide basis to become the highest grossing live action movie directed by a female with $610M, will stay planted in second place with an estimated $26M take (down a marvelous 37%). By Sunday, the Patty Jenkins-directed movie will hurl itself past $319.2M, just $5.8M shy of taking out Suicide Squad and another $11.1M before Wonder Woman shows Batman v. Superman ($330.3M) who exactly is the boss of the box office. Wonder Woman is looking at an estimated $7M today.

26! That would be amazing enough, but if it ends up going higher again like the past three weeks....

• Like 17

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I feel sooooo bad for Paramount right now. But I'm glad this franchise is ending, and it should show them that they HAVE TO START MAKING GOOD MOVIES ALREADY!

Like seriously, was anything they made this year really better than a 5/10 at best? Honestly, Monster Trucks is their best output so far in 2017...

it's not ending. It will continue in some way (likely a soft reboot)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KC7 said:

I'm more interested in this:

26! That would be amazing enough, but if it ends up going higher again like the past three weeks....

That would be (very very roughly) a 70% jump from today's estimates. If that holds, once again it's at the upper end of expectations.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Yeah, I don't think the TF franchise/universe is anywhere close to ending. Paramount will re-tool, adjust, maybe target lower budgets (especially for non-Bay ones), but they'll keep making them.

They'll do what they did with Star Trek and rest it for 5-7 years then release a reboot.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Yeah, I don't think the TF franchise/universe is anywhere close to ending. Paramount will re-tool, adjust, maybe target lower budgets (especially for non-Bay ones), but they'll keep making them.

Bay movies are extremely cheap.

-_-

Just now, Jonwo said:

They'll do what they did with Star Trek and rest it for 5-7 years then release a reboot.

I can see them trying to do a Hasbro Cinematic Universe in those waiting years.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

It should have an interesting battle with The Star, (another family Christmas themed movie but with a religious angle) on OW.

You're being too optimistic about The Star, that'll probably be $15-20m OW tops. Murder on the Orient Express will likely outgross both it and Daddy's Home 2 on OW

• Like 1

Disney/Pixar’s Cars 3 is also driving toward $7M today, but as of this minute is expected to come in under Wonder Woman in third with $23M, -57% for a running 10-day take of $97.7M by Sunday.

Yikes.

• Like 2

Just now, YourMother said:

Disney/Pixar’s Cars 3 is also driving toward $7M today, but as of this minute is expected to come in under Wonder Woman in third with $23M, -57% for a running 10-day take of $97.7M by Sunday.

Yikes.

That would be crazy low.  They better hope that number goes up 

• Like 1

Good CHRIST The Last Knight was terrible. It's not even funny enough to make fun of like AOE! The last act just drags on and on.

Oh, and I had another fun audience experience today. A black family sat next to me and provided commentary throughout the film (and ew'd Will Ferrell and John Lithgow's kiss in the Daddy's Home trailer :lol: ). It started amplifying in the second half, but I really didn't care to tell them to be quiet; their commentary was more interesting than the film itself. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! Some guy two rows ahead of me whipped out his cell phone several times to be on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and more looking at girls. The first two times he did it (he did it first about half an hour in for like 5 minutes, and the next time about 40 minutes later for the same period), I got very close to shouting at him. The next time he did it was about 40 minutes before the film ended. I had enough of it after a couple minutes and shouted "Dude, we can all see you cell phone!" He turned that shit off IMMEDIATELY :rofl: About 15-20 minutes later he whips it out again and I yelled "You're not doing a good job at hiding it!" and this fucking asshole makes it in full view for a minute. GOD I HATE PEOPLE

• Like 12

Just now, Jonwo said:

You're being too optimistic about The Star, that'll probably be $15-20m OW tops. Murder on the Orient Express will likely outgross both it and Daddy's Home 2 on OW

I'm going to wait on a trailer for it but I think it has massive potential.

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

Even at 150m they're probably okay. They never seemed to hit on a good marketing strategy for STB, unfortunately.

I don't think you can do Star Trek on the cheap anymore, it's a sci-fi film and those tend to VFX heavy.