Finnick

Monday Numbers: TF5:$4.72M | WW:$3.07M | Cars3:$2.91M

This coming Sunday should see much softer drops. Most people are taking Monday off as a bridge holiday, and apparently Monday is a national holiday in Canada as well (as per @baumer), so I can see soft drops on Sunday and Monday and a hyper charged Tuesday thanks to a US holiday plus Canada cheap Tuesdays.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, kswiston said:

It's Canada's 150th Anniversary this Saturday. I wonder if that will have a small (negative?) impact on Saturday's box office. I know that our Monday holidays (Victoria Day and Thanksgiving) influence the domestic box office a bit. 

Yea it is our 150th here and it might affect the box office a little bit but nothing too crazy. Increases might be muted Maybe by 3 or 4%.

Monday is a national holiday so hopefully lots of people go to the movies on that day to make up for Saturday.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

No 

Wednesday and Thursday.

I dont know what u are saying here.

Theres a good chance it passes bvs before Friday.

11 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

After everything everything, 47 meters down is having a good little run.

Actually, I consider this one of the shocks of the summer...that a movie available on the internet for free will gross more than 1/2 of all the summer comedies, if not more.  It shows the power of PG-13 in summer, when teens need something to go to that's fun and forgettable...and there isn't a comedy in sight that gets that done...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Actually, I consider this one of the shocks of the summer...that a movie available on the internet for free will gross more than 1/2 of all the summer comedies, if not more.  It shows the power of PG-13 in summer, when teens need something to go to that's fun and forgettable...and there isn't a comedy in sight that gets that done...

Or movies in general :jeb!: 

• Like 1

Out of the 11 (full; fuck you Cars) movies I've seen in May or June, I would only enthusiastically recommend 4 of them: GOTG, Alien, CU, and ICAN. I outright hated 2 (both involving King Arthur :lol: ), was negative on 1 (Baywatch), and wasn't negative on 4 but wouldn't really recommend them (POTC, WW, Mummy, 47 Meters).

I have only watched 6 movies, 

Gotg, pirated, mummy, ww, alien and transformers. 

I only hated mummy.

I will recommend gotg and ww.

I liked pirates and alien but would not recommend them.

Confused about tf. I had a good time but can't say others qill have.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Despicable me 3:

TOMATOMETER  81%

Average Rating: 5.9/10
Reviews Counted: 21
Fresh: 17
Rotten: 4

the average rating just 5.9, could be rotten if it's in aggregate term, meaning not too good either  

average rating is weak, yet the public will get on RT and only look at the percentage. ugg

The summer is about to experience a big uptick in quality. The next 8 weekends will likely have at least one critically acclaimed movie:

June 30: Baby Driver

July 7: Spider-Man

July 14: Apes

July 21: Dunkirk and maybe Valerian and Girls Trip

July 28: Atomic Blonde

August 4: Detroit and Wind River

August 11: Annabelle and maybe Glass Castle

August 18: Logan Lucky and maybe Hitman's Bodyguard

Plus, there's still wide expansions for limited films to come.

• Like 1

Sometimes, I think studio execs forget about timing and different audiences if they are not THE main drawing audience for movies...

People say movies can only be tentpoles or bust, but there's room to hit certain demos, especially in summer...

I mean, when I set my summer, if I'm a studio exec, I want my expensive 4 quadrant tentpole, I want my high cost family animated movie (to draw every summer camp, sports team, MOMS Group,etc outing - hello DM3 and your coming huge BO b/c no one made theirs for both girls and boys yet, and most families have 1 of each, most camps and sports are co-ed, etc:), I want 1-2 lower budget teen draws, I want a low budget adult counter-program that can build slowly, and maybe one for either men or women only also in the low budget range.  Take advantage of the time off kids 18 and under have, and the need to fill it.  This happens at Christmas - I don't know what's happened so far this summer that it's been so wildly off except for supers 4 quadrant stuff...young girls were missed and teens were mostly missed...and they were missed by all the studios...no one saw an opportunity that was there...  

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Despicable me 3:

TOMATOMETER  81%

Average Rating: 5.9/10
Reviews Counted: 21
Fresh: 17
Rotten: 4

the average rating just 5.9, could be rotten if it's in aggregate term, meaning not too good either  

Looking at average rating will go down in 60's once more reviews pour in.