baumer

Baby Driver (2017)

Grade it  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

12 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Also I really wish we got a sense of his hearing problem. I wish we heard a ring or something when his head phones aren't in. 

I thought that was in the movie, at least a little bit. I think I even heard it on the Tristar logo.

25 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I thought that was in the movie, at least a little bit. I think I even heard it on the Tristar logo.

thats before we see him or anything, I wanna see it effect the character in real time in the present. 

But there weren't any issues or examples of why he needs it. Like we don't see him without his music not driving as well or thinking as well or being able listen as well, when his music isn't in he's not crippled at all even 5%. I just wanted a tiny bit more there, to make me care more or add more stakes to the movies. 

not a big thing though just saying 

First 15 min or so.... I was close to asking the driver to pull over so I could get out. 

(Next 30 min or so)

....going up an incline. Are we there yet?

(Next 45 min or so)

Moving and grooving. Okay, the trip is fun....

(Last 15 min or so)

....until the driver spun out and smashed into the off ramp barrels. What a mess. 

B-/C+ or thereabouts

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Insanely well made movie, its upsetting. Like damn the craft is nuts. The way the whole movie was inigrated with music WOW. Dat Sound mix and editing, so on point. AND THANK YOU WRIGHT FOR SHOOTING ON FILM. It looked great. 

The flaws

The movie is blast and non stop fun but I guess The 3rd act is fun but at the same time its average/fine in terms of story progression.

Theres not really a villain or someone we feel scared by after Foxx dies. I mean Hamm is nice in the begining but then he's the villain. Spacy is kinda a villain but at the end is nice. So I feel no thrust that his life or the girls are in danger  and he NEEDS to leave/get away 

How does this not end with a car chase? (just what I wished)

Also I really wish we got a sense of his hearing problem. I wish we heard a ring or something when his head phones aren't in. 

OH and I wasn't a fan of how Monica? died like she was way tooo Hot Fuzz confidant  whipping out those guns and just standing straight in plan sight shooting at 30 cops, no shit you were gonna die bitch. 

for now

B+ (88.5)

They set up Hamm with Eiza Gonzalez's monologue at the diner about Buddy being able to go into full killer machine vengeance mode at the flip of a switch. Darling being gunned down in front of him flipped that switch for good. Spacey suddenly being helpful at the end though was a bit weak.

We do hear a slight recurring of the tinnitus a couple times

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Enough to overcome the razor-thin characters and dangerously cliched story, I guess. Okay.

Pretty much. Maybe I haven't seen enough movies for some cliches to bother me.

I was sympathetic to the main character, as unrealistic as his situation was.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Enough to overcome the razor-thin characters and dangerously cliched story, I guess. Okay.

Razor-thin?  At least three people in the movie (Hamm's character, Baby, and Doc) get full character arcs, whether major or minor.  Other characters like Bats are incredibly interesting, even without a full arc.  I won't debate too much about the cliched story, but this film didn't need a fantastic story to really succeed.  It already had the stunts, action, music, style, cinematography, interesting characters, great acting, etc.  A great story would've made the film even better than it already was, but it absolutely was not essential for the kind of film they were going for.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

A great story would've made the film even better than it already was, but it absolutely was not essential for the kind of film they were going for.

Not really a good excuse, in my opinion. Anything can have a great story.

37 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

They set up Hamm with Eiza Gonzalez's monologue at the diner about Buddy being able to go into full killer machine vengeance mode at the flip of a switch. Darling being gunned down in front of him flipped that switch for good. Spacey suddenly being helpful at the end though was a bit weak.

I agree/feel you about Hamm, my issue isn't his turn, its that in the end he becomes not strong enough of a villain needed I feel. 

• Community Manager

I wanted to punch the movie at some points. Like does Baby really need to dance his way through the apartment or are you just trying too hard? Did he really need to be an inconsiderate douche when he gets coffee in the beginning? The love story was very generic and vanilla and like I didn't buy that she'd go on the run with him after like one date. But it is fun, especially when we're driving and listening to music, and I really enjoyed the work of the supporting cast.

B+

• Like 2