baumer

Baby Driver (2017)

Grade it  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Or maybe because Foxx put a gun in his face twice....or because he murdered the security truck guy...or because he was going to kill Deborah in the diner.  Could be these reasons as well.  

Yeah, for all this talk about shallow characters, I actually sympathized with Baby a little bit. Probably the thing that separates my opinion from Tele's.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 2:54 PM, Jay Beezy said:

Maybe people should have listened to Edgar Wright when he said he wasn't aiming to make this a comedy. ;)

I was before someone fucking told me it was the John Wick of action comedies lol

A lot of people IRL who saw this before me told me it was an action comedy which got me super annoyed after seeing it haha

My review of Baby Driver:

https://grabyourseat.wordpress.com/2017/07/21/baby-driver-film-review/

Every once in awhile, an original film rises among the huge field of sequels, remakes, and adaptations that just can’t help but capture audiences through pure creativity and quality film-making. Enter Baby Driver, the latest from popular auteur director Edgar Wright. Wright, known for his quirky and irreverent comedies such as Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and the Three Flavors Cornetto trilogy, has been conceptualizing and perfecting the genius idea for Baby Driver since the 1990s. The end result is a near masterpiece that manages to stand out as Wright’s crowning achievement in one of the best filmographies in recent years.

Baby Driver focuses on Baby (Ansel Elgort), an insanely good driver working as a getaway for crime boss Doc (Kevin Spacey), to whom he has been indebted to since he was young. Baby is often doubted by Doc’s wide array of criminals, including Bats (Jamie Foxx), Buddy (Jon Hamm), and Darling (Eiza Gonzalez), for his multiple quirks, such as always listening to headphones when he drives, but he always completes the job successfully. After wrapping up his debt, Baby hopes to set off for a new life with cute waitress Debora (Lily James), but Doc has other plans in mind, and Baby isn’t going to stand for it.

Edgar Wright has always been an eccentric filmmaker, but he reaches a peak with Baby Driver, a film almost as quirky as its title character. It’s a genius blend of heist thriller, comedy, and, of all things, musical. Wright geniusly sets the entire film beat-by-beat to a soundtrack. The rhythm of whatever song is playing through Baby’s headphones is the rhythm for whatever is happening on the screen at the time. Cuts are smooth and perfectly timed with the soundtrack to create a unique audio-visual experience. It’s beyond masterful direction and editing work that basically secures Wright as one of the greatest filmmakers of our generation. And the soundtrack itself is enough to match Guardians of the Galaxy‘s Awesome Mixes.

Carrying all of this eccentricity on his shoulders is young Elgort. Before now, he has mostly been known for his roles in Divergent and The Fault in Our Stars, neither of which showed any indication of him being a capable action star. Yet, in Baby Driver, he holds all of the action scenes together with his steely face, fast reflexes, and complete commitment to every piece of the choreography. Baby is a shy character, so he doesn’t say too much, but Elgort’s faces say more than words could, and he perfectly sells all of the character’s quirks and makes you really care for him as his backstory is revealed. Ansel Elgort is Baby.

The other characters aren’t quite as great, but are still more than welcome. We meet no less than six of Doc’s criminals, and they all have at least one truly entertaining scene. Coming out on top though is Jamie Foxx. Foxx’s character Bats gets his name from the fact that he is bat-shit insane. He’s disturbingly homicidal, but very quiet about it, and Foxx pulls it off spectacularly. Kevin Spacey and Lily James are great in their roles, but the characters of Doc and Debora are both a little underdeveloped. They each make pivotal decisions towards the end of the film that feel distractingly out-of-character from what we had previously seen from them, and we have no idea what it was that brought Baby and Doc together in the first place.

Speaking of the end, it’s definitely the weakest part of the film. It becomes a little too over-the-top, but goes about it in a very generic way that we’ve seen many times before (and at least once earlier this year). That said, the action scenes throughout the film are shot brilliantly and are incredibly entertaining, so you’ll probably still get a lot of enjoyment out of the end. Baby Driver pretty much hits the trifecta of what makes a good movie: well-made, emotionally engaging, and entertaining. There aren’t enough films out there like it, but that’s part of what makes it such a breath of fresh air.

Grade: 9.5/10

• Like 1

Pretty much loved everything about it. It is definetly more of an Actionthriller than an Action-Comedy, especially the first heist and the footchase were amazing. This is the kind of movie, i want Hollywood to make.

A.

I really liked it, as expected. Wanted to see more of the crazy good car chases, which is a rare thing for me.

Only thing that kept it from being a truly great movie was the underwhelming ending. I expected more given the greatness that preceded it.  85/100

One of the best movie I've seen lately. I didn't care about the marketing hype. The hype for me was that I saw earlier from the same director the Scott Pilgrim movie. OMG. That was the BEST graphic novel adaptation of all time (personal opinion, of course). So I jumped on the Edgar Wright-rollercoster again, and there was no disappointment.

If Scott Pilgrim is 10/10, Baby Driver is 8,5/10

Edited by zozo

Stylish . The performances were great , the characters were shallow mostly , the actions sequences were cool , the sound mixing was awesome 

The story was good up until the last act where it looked like they had 20 mins to write , shoot and edit  the ending , seriously tho Kevin Spacey is a formidable man who strikes fear into Baby's heart and forces him back on the job because every one knows better than to cross him and then " I was in love once so let me die here and now for you guys because love .... ) ??? who thought that was a good idea ? the ending ruined what was a very enjoyable movie 

C

watched it again. This film just connects with my soul. It's much more than an amazingly well crafted action film.

Still maintain that the film should end on the bridge, and that we were not given enough reason as to why Spacey character Doc would change his mind so flippantly when that doesn't fit his character at all.

those are the only two criticisms at all.

speaking of which Spacey is GREAT at delivering his lines in this.

Interestingly I had not picked up previously that we actually hear the tinnitus for the entire length of the film. I watched it 7 times in the cinema and never heard that until watching on Netflix today. I suppose that speaks to how shite my local cinema's sound setup is.